Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash or .PNG overlays in iMovie

Options
  • 07-03-2009 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

It's a bit off-topic for the iMovie thread that has already been posted.

I'm creating an overlay for a soccer video that is being editing using iMovie and being posted to Youtube.

I thought of doing a png image, which doesn't seem to be much hassle, but what I wanted to know is, would it be possible or difficult to insert a flash video into the timeline, in the same way?

The png image was just going to be titles, names of players and also team sheets with images.

I would prefer to do this with flash in order to create a proper tv effect with fade ins and moving images.

Thanks in advance for any help you experts can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I have only ever used iMovie for about 6 seconds so I cant remember what exact functions it has but I'd say using its own overlays would be far easier. To do it with flash, you'd need to create the flv and then use CS's FLV-Video converter in order to use it with iMovie. In the end, timing would be an absoloute pain.

If I remember correctly, iMovie is comperable to Windows Movie Maker. If thats the case, then I'd say the best solution would be better software:p But, if you have Flash, then you should be able to afford a basic home-range suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I've decided not to bother with it in the end. I'm just going to create a PNG image and get the guy editing the video to set fade in and out to it using iMovie '09.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

You could can do it in flash but would need to export your file as a png sequence with the alpha channel enabled. I've had stuff done before in flash and was given to me this way to use on an avid.

decob wrote: »
    would need to export your file as a png sequence with the alpha channel enabled.
    Ask a silly question but... you still end up with a flash file?

I'm installing Flash on a new machine, so when that's done I'll do a quick mock up and pass it on to the video editor, to see if I'm having any luck with it.

Cheers.

decob wrote: »
    with the alpha channel enabled.
    I'm not too familiar with Flash, only used it once or twice a while back for a one-off...

How do I enable the alpha-channel?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

on export make sure the png's it have a transparent background, then when imported to you nle of choice it will recognise

The video editor has just ordered a new machine, complete with the latest Final Cut Pro. Had a quick look at the ins and outs of it... Seems that it can handle pretty much any QT file you throw at it, so I won't have to spend any more time messing with PNG sequences or anything.

Thanks for the advice lads.

Advertisement