Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor midband solutions

Options
  • 07-03-2009 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

http://www.yourtechstuff.com/techwire/2009/03/final-meteor-mobile-broadband-roadtest-02mbs-in-shopping-centre.html

Final Meteor mobile broadband roadtest: 0.2Mbs in shopping centre

This is a bit disappointing. I'm sitting in the Santry Omnicentre, about 100 metres from a busy Meteor shop. And the best speed I can get is 0.2Mbs. I'm trying to surf the web but, at this speed, it's very difficult.

Larry Smith, Meteor's CEO, stated that the "minimum speed you would get is 2Mbs". But I've recorded far lower speeds than that in lots of places around Dublin.

(To be fair, I have also seen speeds in excess of 5Mbs.)

I wonder if it's the same in Cork, the other launch city?

//

The Meteor network is brand new and has very few subscribers as yet.
    Yet seemingly it cannot deliver as per their (Meteor's) stated promises.

One has to wonder does anybody listen to the technical facts?
    Or does everybody prefer the fantasy that mobile midband will deliver anything other than a mediocre replacement dialup service?
    Mobile midband is an elephant in a bikini, slow ponderous and useless on the beach.

All that marketing, in a vain attempt to sell this service which can only be described as marketing-speek(tm). This time the elephant has lipstick on.
    Reality will be the great leveller here.

Now let's see the NBS deliver on these guarantees...now should be a comedy worthy of Monty Python. I can just hear the excuse machine in the Dept of Communications gearing up already...faintly and in the middle distance.
    The fish made the signal weak, no wait it was the rain, eh no it was the terrain, eh no it's the consumers fault and so on.

Let's see if the Dept can actually enforce their "contractual requirements".

"Yes Minster" was in reality a documentary wasn't it?

Advertisement