Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virtual Memory Low

• 07-03-2009 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Virtual Memory Low comes up regularly & I take it it's some sort of a warning. I do not know what it means. Can anyone explain, Thanks:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Your computer has memory, called RAM (it would have been one of the specs when you bought it). Every program that runs on your computer takes up some of this RAM, some more than others. When you run out of RAM, the computer automatically overflows onto your hard drive, but this is much slower, so everything will appear to slow down.

Solution: run fewer programs at once, or buy more RAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭cat&mouse

I see. Now I understand this. Yes, my computer has got very slow but I did not know why, I do use different applications all at one (stupid now I know)That is very valuable info you have given me, Thanks a lot Snappie:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could also increase the size of the swap file

control panel / system /advanced / performance / settings / advanced / virtual memory / change / system managed size

or reboot more often if you are in the habit of suspending the machine day after day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Adder1

cat&mouse wrote: »
    Virtual Memory Low comes up regularly & I take it it's some sort of a warning. I do not know what it means. Can anyone explain, Thanks:confused:

I would add more ram this should speed up you computer but be sure to get the correct type check your manual for this a cheaper option is as capt`n midnight said is to increase the swap but is slower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Reboot the PC to clear out memory leaks. Or restart Firefox daily (they'll fix that memory leak eventually - they promise).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Restarting the PC every day or so; Identifying background programs and services that dont need to be running (eg. Print Server, Tablet Support, etc any core windows services like that which you do not use) and o'course buy more ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 duvelhedz

Defragment your hard drive. Start --> Accessories --> System Tools --> Disk Defragmenter.

Disable unnessesary startup programs and services.

Start-->Run--> Type msconfig -->Services --> Hide all MS services --> Untick all unneeded. -->Startup tab --> Untick the unneeded again.

You can safely stop those such all the itunes related stuff, servicelayer (if usung nokia pc suite), skype, msn nessenger etc.

Hint: widen the centre column in the box and you will be able to see the part after c:\prorgam files\* (where * is usually the name of the program.

Warning:!!!! Do not accidentally disable any entries there relating to antivirus or other security software. Also leave jusched alone.

When these are all unchecked, restart the computer. you should be able to save a decent amount of RAM this way

NB. It will not affect the running of these programs as the disabled services etc will load into memory when you launch the respective application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

duvelhedz wrote: »
    Also leave jusched alone.

Why do you say this? There is no real need to have the Java Updater running continuously at start up.

Advertisement