Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sudden Huge esb bills??

Options
  • 07-03-2009 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else has been hit by a massive esb bill of late.
    my best friend has gotten a months bill for just over 200euro, her normal bi-monthly bill was usually 100euro.

the same has happened at home, my parents last bill is close to double their average bills. :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

ibsmartreply

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

This is an extract from something I wrote on another forum - I think it might be helpful:

There are various reasons whey people receive unexpectedly high bills. The most common reason is a series of under-estimated meter readings followed by an actual reading. The result can be an accumulated usage spanning several months - years in some cases - and thus a large bill.
    Each bill is clearly marked "estimated" if an actual reading has not been obtained.

There can simply be increased usage due to new appliances and family circumstances (e.g. an addition to the family, teenagers taking showers every half hour, etc). Many people will have bought large screen TVs in the recent past without realising that they cost *significantly* more to run than the old style cathode ray sets. The average household is now using much more electricity than 10 years ago.

There can be faulty appliances. A fairly common occurrence in rural areas is a broken water pump for example. There can be wasteful use of electricity: some people use plug-in electric heaters for hours on end, for instance, when they should only be used very sparingly. Or, they leave the hot-water tank on constantly thus wasting electricity, etc, etc. A visit to the ESB website would quickly show how to use electricity to best effect.

Sometimes, too, ESB bills can cover more than the normal 60 day period. If the meter reading schedule is impacted by bad weather for example the bill might cover 70+ days and in winter that can have a significant impact on the size of the bill. Look at your bill: it spells out the number of days usage billed.

Remember also that this has been the coldest winter in years and most people will have used more electricity. Factor in as well that prices increased by 17% from the 1st August last.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

jayoo wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else has been hit by a massive esb bill of late.
    my best friend has gotten a months bill for just over 200euro, her normal bi-monthly bill was usually 100euro.

the same has happened at home, my parents last bill is close to double their average bills. :confused::confused::confused:

Short answer- yes.
    100 EUR + between 20-40% increase in overall electricty charges last summer(notice, it was during the hot season when would have least impact) due to general increases in charges and increased VAT rate, coupled with extra cold winter, coupled with possible new additional electric devices like PCs, lights, clothes dryer/ plasma tv etc etc etc = big time increase in electric prices- yea, big surprise OP last month but when you crunch the numbers it does add up..its time to unplug, switch off etc i think:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

FYI, a number have friends have told me about a scheme where you can buy electricity from An Bord Gais.

Some bizzare loophole where ESB cannot sell below the cost determined by the regulator because they're semi state.

But Bord Gais, being private, can buy the electricity from them and sell it to you 10% cheaper.

Typically Irish.

I'd stick with ESB over Bord Gais any day personally tho and I'll pay the extra 10% until we elect a new government who have those ....thinking machines thingeys.....what are they.............oh yea, brains.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    I'd stick with ESB over Bord Gais any day personally tho and I'll pay the extra 10%...<snip>.

Enjoy paying more then you have to then :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mrfreddred

Yep, my last 2 bils were over 250 euro where the previous were about 160. I thought it was just a seasonal thing but now I am begining to wonder....Will be checking out the Bord Gais offer tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Some bizzare loophole where ESB cannot sell below the cost determined by the regulator because they're semi state.

But Bord Gais, being private, can buy the electricity from them and sell it to you 10% cheaper.

ESB aren't semi-state they are their own commercial enterprise. And yes their price is set by the CER. Bord gais are making a loss at the moment offering these rates to try switch customers.

Davy wrote: »
    ESB aren't semi-state

Are you sure you're not confused between ESB and Bord Gais mate?

Bord Gais are private.
    ESB are semi-state.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Enjoy paying more then you have to then :pac::pac:

I will mate (to be honest, I don't have any alternative since I have no gas line here, but lets not make a big deal of that minor point, eh?;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Our average ESB bill was €250 but last one was €530..... Do I win?
    Anyhew looked onto it and it seems like the estimate problem seems to be the cause of it, also dryer thermostat was broken for a while leading to longer drying times so I have to agree with previous posters on reasons why.... Anyway the €530 bill has screwed us up.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

my last bill was 391 euro never have i had a bill this high how can they send out estimated bills way over what you would normally pay:mad::(:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jenbecca

yea mine too was about 70 or 80 euro more this time around and its an estimate normally when its this I end up paying more the next time too. They are way over priced. Dont know if we can get board gas but going to look into it or the airtricity thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Diamond Joan

I got one double what it usualy is, but it was estimated. A few others i know got the same. Just submit my own reading. Isn't there something about esb prices coming down? Maybe they're just covering themselves with high estimates before the rates come down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

I explained this in another thread a while back. Its fairly boring answer.

Basically most heavy use items use cold, water - kettle, washing machine, diswasher, imersion etc.

Due to the coldest 3 month period on record, the ground water temperatures are exceptionally low at approx. 4 degrees when normally they would be at 12 - 14 degrees. Normal water temp for washing is approx 40 degrees so to get to this it takes a lot more electricity.

Similarly, the environment is colder, so more heat is needed to keep the house warm if you use eletric heating. Its been very dull, so additional lighting is used. - It all adds up to higher bills, but with 10% reduction + 10 - 14% additional reduction from Bord gais & airtricity the savings are sitting out there waiting to be claimed. - Switching to bord gais is stupidly easy.

If your bills are extroadinarily high then you may want to get a survey done on useage.

jenbecca wrote: »
    yea mine too was about 70 or 80 euro more this time around and its an estimate normally when its this I end up paying more the next time too. They are way over priced. Dont know if we can get board gas but going to look into it or the airtricity thing

if you have electricity, you can switch your electricty account to bord gais - once you have a copy of a bill & your bank details with you, it will take approx. 2 minutes via their website. - No further phone calls / info / letter writing or anything is needed. - It really is ridiculously simple.

I switched 2 weeks ago & ESB closing statement arrived last wednesday.

www.thebigswitch.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ray mears

i recently purchased a 50" plasma LG tv and noticed an increase in the cost of the leckie from an average 140 per month to 180.i have researched extensively the cost per wattage since this latest bill and found that the tv is at the expensive end of the market in terns of cost - nearly 340 turned on compared to an 240 for your same sze LCD tv.
    i agree that the esb bill is an average and every now an then they get their lazy asses out for an accurate reading but it should be noted that all these things, such as change of tv, matter.the esb are expensive, and with airtricity and bordgais undercutting by at least 13% on their prices, my advice would be switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Bord Gais are private.
    ESB are semi-state.

Bord Gais are also semi state.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

I will mate (to be honest, I don't have any alternative since I have no gas line here, but lets not make a big deal of that minor point, eh?;))

You don't need to be hooked up to gas to avail of Bord Gais (or Airtricity's) cheaper electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

My last bill was 310 euro. I was amazed. There's 2 of us in a small 2 bed apartment and we're only there the odd evening and weekend. No idea why it's so high. Nuts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 fruity

my bill jumped from 140 to 420!!! :eek: apparently my meter reading had not been taken since last august so the last 3 bills were estimates. only 2 out of your 6 yealy bills should be estimated. i rang and gave out so they are lettin me pay it off over a few months. i would advise everyone thats still using ESB to sign up to they're online billing, that way you can check back over all the bills you've received to see if they were true readings or estimates. can't understand why esb are allowed to estimate what i'm using. no other service provider does this. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

darc wrote: »
    if you have electricity, you can switch your electricty account to bord gais - once you have a copy of a bill & your bank details with you, it will take approx. 2 minutes via their website. - No further phone calls / info / letter writing or anything is needed. - It really is ridiculously simple.

I switched 2 weeks ago & ESB closing statement arrived last wednesday.

www.thebigswitch.ie

Are you sure there was no validation call made after you signed up online, cause apparently I'm waiting on one, over two weeks now. Also did you submit a current meter reading at the time of signing up?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,500 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fruity wrote: »
    i would advise everyone thats still using ESB to sign up to they're online billing, that way you can check back over all the bills you've received to see if they were true readings or estimates.
    Alternatively you could just look at your paper bills and look for the big capital letter E next to the readings.

Also, Bord Gais and Airtricity will also continue to use estimated readings, since the meters will continue to be read by ESSB meter readers.
    can't understand why esb are allowed to estimate what i'm using. no other service provider does this. :mad:
    FAIL. Bord Gais do, as does every other electricity and gas supplier in every other country I've lived in (4 in total so far).

Are you sure there was no validation call made after you signed up online, cause apparently I'm waiting on one, over two weeks now. Also did you submit a current meter reading at the time of signing up?

No call - I signed up within 30 minutes of the site going live. No meter reading was supplied, someone must have come out to do it.

I believe they have had over 50,000 new customers in th past 2 weeks, so I'd say there may be delays.

My last bill was 310 euro. I was amazed. There's 2 of us in a small 2 bed apartment and we're only there the odd evening and weekend. No idea why it's so high. Nuts though.

That's very high - you need to check your appliances.

Mine is about €250 every 2 months but its for a 4 bed detached, weekly use is approx. 3 times dishwasher, 3 times washing machine, 3 times tumble dry, daily power showers, 2 x fridges(herself is a vegan! - meat MUST be in separate fridge:rolleyes:), daily oven + usual lights (all low wattage), kettle, toaster, TV, computer etc.

Heat is from oil. Jan 12th / Feb 27th bill was €212. Nov to Jan 12th was €262

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sml68

My esb and gas were both over 200, usually they have been around 140, seems to be gettin out of hand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

darc wrote: »
    Mine is about €250 every 2 months but its for a 4 bed detached, weekly use is approx. 3 times dishwasher, 3 times washing machine, 3 times tumble dry, daily power showers, 2 x fridges(herself is a vegan! - meat MUST be in separate fridge:rolleyes:), daily oven + usual lights (all low wattage), kettle, toaster, TV, computer etc.
    That seems high ... ours (just me and the missus in a 4 bed bungalow) averages about €150 per 2 month period. Heating and HW is gas, everything else is electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

I'm amazed people get so worked up over estimated bills, it states quite clearly on the bill that you can take your own reading and submit that, it only takes a few minutes. It's in the ESB's interest to estimate your bill as accurately as possible and those estimates are based on previous usage.

Bord Gais are private.
    ESB are semi-state.

Both are semi-state.

Bord Gais are regulated in the gas market but not in electricity.

ESB are regulated in the electricity market - they are not interested in providing a gas service.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Advertisement

fruity wrote: »
    my bill jumped from 140 to 420!!! :eek: apparently my meter reading had not been taken since last august so the last 3 bills were estimates. only 2 out of your 6 yealy bills should be estimated. i rang and gave out so they are lettin me pay it off over a few months. i would advise everyone thats still using ESB to sign up to they're online billing, that way you can check back over all the bills you've received to see if they were true readings or estimates. can't understand why esb are allowed to estimate what i'm using. no other service provider does this. :mad:

Well, Bord Gais and Airtricity also provide estimated bills. When you get a bill - be it from ESB or whomever - you should examine it and if it is estimated check the actual reading on the meter. If there is a significant difference (100+ units above or below) phone your billing company with your reading and they will send you an amended bill. That way you will avoid the inevitable accumulated usage bill that will otherwise issue.

Regards,

Fnergg

Advertisement