Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on Empire Total War

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I'm not interested in splitting hairs on this one. Ireland should not and is not in the game and that's fine with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Im doing the Road to independence thing, and there are one or two options in the construction menu at certain points , like at mine i think...i need some Tech thing. Can't remember,,,,,but when or where do you purchase these tech upgrades ???

Build schools to access the tech tree and put gentlemen in them to speed it up, and you work your way through each tech tree to unlock new units, buildings and bonuses etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

can you only research 1 tech at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

can you only research 1 tech at a time?
    1 tech per university and the more gentlemen you have in it the faster it goes.

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    1 tech per university and the more gentlemen you have in it the faster it goes.

are you sure on the 2nd part. I thought its a max of 1 gentleman per school boosting the research rate? Any other gewntlemen just do nothing for the research rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I was playing last night (and to be honest hadn't a clue what I was doing), but I'm fairly certain that the more gentlemen you have in a school, the faster the research, but that also depends on their skills. Some will have a bonus for industrial research, but maybe a penalty for military research, so they speed up industrial and slow down military. At least that's what I thought it meant.

How do towns work? Not sure if I'm missing it completely, but when a region prospers, do villages appear, which then grow into towns? And if so, is there any way of deciding what type of building will go there, or is it pre-defined?

And is anyone else having trouble selecting agents in cities? Any time I do, I try to move them out of the city, and the garrisoned army marches out instead. I'm just hoping this is a common problem and that I'm not the moron I think I may be.

But all in all, I'm lovign the game so far. I'd only one crash, but that was due to my computer, and not the game. I've also had no real problems with the AI because, to be honest, I'm just terrible at the battles section so even sh*t AI is proving a match for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

yes gentlemen to stack so get them into your colleges. also make sure that the schools are bult in separate regions otherwise its hard to keep the population under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Griffin87 wrote: »
    yes gentlemen to stack so get them into your colleges.
    Pretty sure it's a case of diminishing returns though.

How do towns work? Not sure if I'm missing it completely, but when a region prospers, do villages appear, which then grow into towns? And if so, is there any way of deciding what type of building will go there, or is it pre-defined?

Every region has a preset number of villages, and the growth rate of the region affects the speed at which these villages turn into towns.

click on your region capitol to see the growth rate near the bottom and under that you will see how many turns until the named village turns into a town/port.

there are 3 types of villages:

villages which can be turned into a tavarn, church, school or industrial building (the industrial building varies depending on region and resources, can be textile or Ore processing) each one give specific bonuses and penelties, so building too many in any region is a big risk.

And Ports which can be turned into commercial for economic boost and access to some ship types shipyard for war ships and fishing port for a growth boost.

Finally Farms etc, i'm not sure about these cause I played Prussia and all my farms etc were already founded when I conquered new lands. But they depend on resources not growth and can be built from the get go, what you can build depends entirely on the resource they are on (fur, grain, suger, cotten, coffee etc) and some can be on multiple resources so you must choose one with the better economic value.

Growth is affected by Taxes and food. So better farms = better growth when you want to speed up growth over economic wealth, exempt the region from tax for a few turns to cut the number of turns in half.

I tested the genltlemen thing last night and I saw no change in research when I had 1 in a school or 3. So I am still iffy about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Thanks for that. I'll try again tonight. It could be that the gentleman has to only be in the region, and not necessarily the school. But who know's. It's strange, I remember the old TW games tutorials explaining everything fairly well. This one has left me clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Advertisement