Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has console modding reached it's peak?

• 07-03-2009 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

The current generation of consoles are out quite some time now and there doesn't seem to be too much to do apart form modding the firmware and throwing some LEDs into them. There are some chips for the wii and xbox 360 (these are useless though) but they don't seem to have the same impact like the chips for the xbox had.

When the original xbox came out it created a massive community and it is still very strong to this day but it hasn't really evolved all that much since those early days.

PS3
    When it was announced that it was capable of running linux, I'm sure a lot of users out there got really excited but when people actually got their hands on it, it wasn't quite what people expected. It was quite limited due to the architecture of the console. I feel that with Blu-ray drives in their infancy it also meant that it would be a while before they were cracked. The security shown by Sony with this has been really good and with the latest PSPs also uncrackable (atm) they've really shown up other manufacturers in this area.

Xbox 360
    Firmware modification. That's it. There are chips available but they don't much. Case modding seems to be quite strong as the case itself is relatively easy to cut and is flat.

Nintendo Wii
    There are some chips availble but they only allow things that we cannot discuss around these parts. In terms of hardware, the wii is lagging behind with the lack of HD but I'm sure nintendo will fix this with the next console.

With no serious capabilities on any of the current generation console, will the scene simply die off or are we just waiting for a day of eureka when someone finally cracks it? I can only see the security provided by Sony getting better and better but it's very doubtful the same could be said for Nintendo or Microsoft (lol).

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

In case of X360 there is still a lot to be done, I mean to develop.
    PS3 is capable to run Linux from beginning but not x360.
    Just imagine all resources aivalable to use under linux. I know that there is a way of running lx on x360, but it has to Xenon xbox with some old kernel. I hope it will be possible to install lx on it as it is with xbmc on xbox1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    There are some chips availble but they only allow things that we cannot discuss around these parts.

Actually the wii is now soft-moddable, no need for a chip. In any case the main reason for modding is for playing backups so in that sense modding has been successful on both 360 and wii. The wii also has multiple emulators/homebrew etc.

To psp scene is strong and the new version will be cracked. You never mentioned to ds either. I would say that the ds is probably the most modded computer hardware of all time!! Its impossible to find a ds now without an R4 (or similar) card in the back of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

animaX wrote: »
    Actually the wii is now soft-moddable, no need for a chip. In any case the main reason for modding is for playing backups so in that sense modding has been successful on both 360 and wii. The wii also has multiple emulators/homebrew etc.

To psp scene is strong and the new version will be cracked. You never mentioned to ds either. I would say that the ds is probably the most modded computer hardware of all time!! Its impossible to find a ds now without an R4 (or similar) card in the back of it

I only mentioned the PSP to highlight Sony's strength in the security aspect of things. I agree the DS is modded by a lot of people, my gf and I both have DS' with R4 cards. However, I feel that the pinnacle of console modding is with the original Xbox and nothing has come even close to it in the current generation of it. While the PS3 and 360 are media servers in their own right, if you could get something like XBMC and even an FTP client onto them it would move them closer to being complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

The only mod I want to see on the 360 is booting games direct from external HD. Without having to have the game in the console. Or even a boot disc of some sort to keep in the 360 while playing of HDD.

While hooked to a home network with Tversity and VLC player etc they do just about everything else. You can watch MKV HD rips, Youtube, Sopcast (stream Prem matches from sopcast via TVersity to 360).

And the tools are free from MS to develop homebrew games.

So i'd say the 360 is about as modded as it will get.

As for the Ps3, haven't got one of them yet so I can't judge.;)

Advertisement