Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding Photo Negatives

• 08-03-2009 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Just wondering how long can a photographer hold onto your wedding negatives, I am interested in getting my wedding negatives off the photographer who took photos as my wedding but the wedding was 8 years ago, so wondering should I be able to get the negatives no problem or is it up to the photographer if they will release them or not

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

You might be lucky and then again you might not, I still have digital files from Weddings from three years ago and have no thoughts on deleting them..

Give them a ring but dont be suprised if they want money for them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Legally, 70 years after their death, their estate obviously then.

As it's probably useless at this stage to him, unless your famous or infamous, negotiation is probably possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Negatives belong to the photographer, as much as his camera does. That said, given that it's eight years ago he might give/sell them to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Maybe you could get them thrown into the Divorce Package? :eek:

Photo's of the 7 year itch & the Wedding Negs all in one bundle! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

When I got married, the photographer included the negatives in the package :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Hi Mike99,

Eight years ago any wedding photographer worth their salt would have been shooting medium format - if you're looking for reprints might be less hassle just to order them off the photographer. They would have to be printed in a pro lab, some of whom don't like dealing with non-professional photographers - it's not the same as dropping in to a one hour lab to get prints made etc.

Don't forget your photographer (again, if they're a pro) will have archived the negs properly - if I were you I'd leave them with the photographer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

minikin wrote: »
    Hi Mike99,

Eight years ago any wedding photographer worth their salt would have been shooting medium format - if you're looking for reprints might be less hassle just to order them off the photographer. They would have to be printed in a pro lab, some of whom don't like dealing with non-professional photographers - it's not the same as dropping in to a one hour lab to get prints made etc.

Don't forget your photographer (again, if they're a pro) will have archived the negs properly - if I were you I'd leave them with the photographer.

But surely Mike can spend some money protecting them and them his family can make prints off them for years to come and scan them onto the pc etc,Where as after the photographer retires and passes away most of the photo will be put in an attic or thrown away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Keeping good care of negs is better left to a photographer than a family's attic. Reprints will be better done by the original photographer too - I'd agree with Minikin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Covey wrote: »
    Legally, 70 years after their death, their estate obviously then.

That figure relates to copyright, not how long the photographer keeps the images after the event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i belive most photogs are ment to keep wedding images for at least 7 years

• Advertisement

That figure relates to copyright, not how long the photographer keeps the images after the event

I was answering the question as posed. How long can a photographer hold on to blah blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Covey wrote: »
    I was answering the question as posed. How long can a photographer hold on to blah blah.

If you feel you answered it then thats fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

stcstc wrote: »
    i belive most photogs are ment to keep wedding images for at least 7 years

Do you know if that's fact Steve?

I've heard various things from various people but personally I don't think there's any law governing this. I'd like to know either way.:confused:

Although I do keep the files in storage, I have it in my contract that once the DVD of images is turned over the backing up / updating media is no longer my responsibility.

If you feel you answered it then thats fine :)

I do indeed, including the bit you didn't quote.

Advertisement