Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Retail in Railway Square

Options
  • 08-03-2009 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

I see a Centra has just opened or is about to open in Railway sq. Not sure exactly why it, or whatever shop was due to open, never opened up to begin with since there's been furniture in there for ages. It seems to have a cafe and internet cafe section in there as well. Should be a great amenity for those living in the apartments.

Also, according to the papers, Pennys is due to relocate to Railway sq. during the revamp of its JR square store. That should be enough to get people thinking of Railway sq. as a place to go, and hopefully something will replace Pennys when they move back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The Centra delay was "legal issues" according to the other thread. It opened last Tuesday.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Kahless wrote: »
    The Centra delay was "legal issues" according to the other thread. It opened last Tuesday.

There are other reports, which I believe featured in local media, as to why it was closed for so long.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Doubt they'll last long, Tesco across the road and another Centra up by Revolutions....the Mace that was down that area closed as soon as the construction work finished as the builders kept it alive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Cabaal wrote: »
    Doubt they'll last long, Tesco across the road and another Centra up by Revolutions....the Mace that was down that area closed as soon as the construction work finished as the builders kept it alive

I don't know about that. Tesco Poleberry is never too well stocked and is not a patch on the other branches. Anyway, isn't there talk of it being demolished soon?

The Centra by revolution has no adequate parking. That whole street should have more public parking spaces on account of the large number of takeaways there.

There's a whole multi-storey car park at the end of the street.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Whatever you do dont park in the area by Duggan Motors. Parked there tonight and got locked in!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No plans to demolish Poleberry, but a revamp is on the long finger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Anon0000

merlante wrote: »
    I see a Centra has just opened or is about to open in Railway sq. Not sure exactly why it, or whatever shop was due to open, never opened up to begin with since there's been furniture in there for ages. It seems to have a cafe and internet cafe section in there as well. Should be a great amenity for those living in the apartments.

Also, according to the papers, Pennys is due to relocate to Railway sq. during the revamp of its JR square store. That should be enough to get people thinking of Railway sq. as a place to go, and hopefully something will replace Pennys when they move back.

Opened tuesday 3rd.grand set up in their,chill out area with internet access and 2 plasma screens, great reaction so far.shud do very well!!Parking is good- 1st hour free in the underground car park with access from the car park!!
    Penneys is open 16th March untill the end of the year with pizza hut also coming down to railway square

Pizza Hut has been on the cards for a long time, so unless something has recently arrisen confirming this I wouldnt take it seriously.

Wonder what type of store they will do for Pennys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Sounds great, I look forward to the nay sayers being proved wrong as always. :)

• Advertisement

Amazing how it took until the recession for the place to apparently finally get off the ground.

Kahless wrote: »
    Amazing how it took until the recession for the place to apparently finally get off the ground.

Booms and busts don't seem to make much of a difference to Waterford... (Well, this one probably will.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

pizza hut..... oh man can't wait for that one.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

God I'd love a Pizza Hut....last time I was there an all you can eat buffet followed by a halp yourself icecream thing and refills?!?!?!?

I was in fat heaven. This centra thing though I can't see it working out too well with a tesco right beside it and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Man11

I Can tell you pizza Hut is definetly not coming to Railway Square , Centra wont last that long Two years Tops , Centra is not doing much buisness at all , there is definetly someone lined up for when penneys leave well so i have been told , Ive been working in the building for the past 2 and a half years , Other than that no more shops are lined up to come in some shops were lined up to come in but pulled out because of certain occupiers of the building took to long to develop , In other words the building is a big huge farce and will take a long time to succeed in doing the proper buisness ,

I heard Centra was doing fairly well actually... I assume Storm is safe?!

Any idea who is lined up after Penneys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

ok maybe it's a tactical mistake for me to say this but ... the Centra do have great sausage rolls ... there, it's out now, there may be less for me in the future but I've done my civic duty :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

didnt railway square have a rat problem?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

magick wrote: »
    didnt railway square have a rat problem?

Given its beside the river I'd say it has water rats, but realistically I'd say the only place they are is in the carpark during the night.

I'd imagine the whole "rat problem" is just one of the many pointless rumors started around Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Anon0000

Man11 wrote: »
    I Can tell you pizza Hut is definetly not coming to Railway Square , Centra wont last that long Two years Tops , Centra is not doing much buisness at all , there is definetly someone lined up for when penneys leave well so i have been told , Ive been working in the building for the past 2 and a half years , Other than that no more shops are lined up to come in some shops were lined up to come in but pulled out because of certain occupiers of the building took to long to develop , In other words the building is a big huge farce and will take a long time to succeed in doing the proper buisness ,

At the moment Centra is actually doing very well-hopefully will keep up. Chill out area is going down well with everybody thats visited so far. Hardware and Home section is a massive hit with previous stock includin Stephen Pearce range which has just about all sold out. New stock arrived yesterday ranging from kids things to health and fitness accessories to cookware accessories. Well worth checking out.Im sure if you come down and have any questions to ask i'l be there helping ye out pointing ye in the right direction :D .Official Opening Day coming soon also!!! :)

• Advertisement

thats true they do have nice sauages and nice sausages , buti know for a fact ther not doing that good

There is definetly no rats in railway square , i know that for a fact , :)
    Given its beside the river I'd say it has water rats, but realistically I'd say the only place they are is in the carpark during the night.

I'd imagine the whole "rat problem" is just one of the many pointless rumors started around Waterford.

Definetly no rats in railway square , there never was , i know that for a fact , I work there , :):):):):):)

Man11: You seem to be unsure how to post, as I have cleaned up numerous posts from you that have similar content :) I would suggest reading this brief guide :)

Sorry im new at this

i just think railway square its not going to be overly successfull , there is always scumbags breaking into it and , reliveing themselves all over the apartment blocks , the mangemnet take a long time to clean up any messes that happen ,

The same can be said for the apartments behing Revolution. Was in there yesterday for the first time - terrible. Lift not in operation, all the lights on the walls/ceelings ripped down (apparently on a regular basis), place covered in graffiti and generally a tip.

Railway Square is probably not managed very well and if it does ever get used for anything decent then im sure things will improve. An empty unit will suffer more then a unit in use.

The management company for the apartments are no good i wont say any names because they would be well known , they get anysort of tennents in who sublet and have about 10 people living in them and there was two ot three brothels running in it at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The management company for the apartments are no good i wont say any names because they would be well known , they get anysort of tennents in who sublet and have about 10 people living in them and there was two ot three brothels running in it at one stage
    You seem to know much...........a little too much
    You run them there brothels dont you?????:pac:
    If true....i want a discount

• Advertisement

Sounds like people who have to share with 9 other people probably don't have a lot of cash to their name, and brothels have to go somewhere...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement