Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 96 Rampage vs Jardine Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Options
  • 08-03-2009 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭

ufc96poster.jpg

Main Card
    Light Heavyweight bout: Quinton Jackson vs. Keith Jardine
    Heavyweight bout: Shane Carwin vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
    Light Heavyweight bout: Matt Hamill vs. Mark Munoz
    Lightweight bout: Gray Maynard vs. Jim Miller
    Middleweight bout: Kendall Grove vs. Jason Day

Preliminary Card
    Light Heavyweight bout: Brandon Vera vs. Mike Patt
    Welterweight bout: Tamdan McCrory vs. Ryan Madigan
    Welterweight bout: Matt Brown vs. Pete Sell
    Light Heavyweight bout: Tim Boetsch vs. Jason Brilz
    Lightweight bout: Aaron Riley vs. Shane Nelson

WEAK CARD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

London was weak too but fights were enjoyable, lookin for too Gonzaga-carwin fight........................:p:p:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Jackson
    Carwin
    Brown
    Maynard
    Hammill

all to win @ 14.5/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Some loooooooong, boring fights tonight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

amacachi wrote: »

What channel are you watching?! Most of the ones i've been watching ended in the first round!
    Or did i miss the sarcasm?

And what drugs was Sell on earlier? I know Brown was well on form, but Sell looked like sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

I'd like a 2 rounder!
    All the fights have been quick and exciting so far!

• Advertisement

Thought the :pac: would convey the sarcasm. I missed the first fight on the main card which apparently did go to a decision.

Thought the :pac: would convey the sarcasm. I missed the first fight on the main card which apparently did go to a decision.

Yeah, Gray Maynard ran with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Missed that first match myself as I was watching Sky News at the time.

Oh my god, they're letting Lavigne ref the main event after the atrocity of a job he did on the Sell/Brown fight earlier?!

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Oh my god, they're letting Lavigne ref the main event after the atrocity of a job he did on the Sell/Brown fight earlier?!

That was nasty to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Jardine by leg kicks:p

7 minutes of leg kicks... for jesus sake.
    What you wanna do, bore rampage into submission?!

Fromvert wrote: »
    Jackson
    Carwin
    Brown
    Maynard
    Hammill

all to win @ 14.5/1

So bringing you to Paddy Power with me next month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Jackson and evans post fight in the ring made me want to puke.

It's like a new feud starting in wwe or something :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

calex71 wrote: »
    Jackson and evans post fight in the ring made me want to puke.

It's like a new feud starting in wwe or something :mad:

:rolleyes:

How long have you been watching MMA calex71?

Anyways fanastic show given I wasnt really too jazzed about it going into it

An incredibly gutsy performance by Jardine

I expected better from Lavigne in the Sell/Brown

Carwin is a monster.

Thank goodness Munoz was able to walk out of the cage.

The build up to Jackson vs Evans if tonight was any indication will be fantastic

One thing that annoyed me about the show was Kendall Grove doing the grave digging action after his fight never liked that gesture in particular.

rovert wrote: »

Lol been watching a long time, just hate the whole winner and next in line stare down etc post fight they throw in sometimes to build a fight up, this to me came across as very staged and scripted almost hence the wwe comment :pac:

Its also a reason why i usually wont watch the weigh in's either

Lol been watching a long time, just hate the whole winner and next in line stare down etc post fight they throw in sometimes to build a fight up, this to me came across as very staged and scripted almost hence the wwe comment :pac:

Its also a reason why i usually wont watch the weigh in's either

Well I can tell you Rashad has hated Rampage legitimately for a long while now. Just notice to the change in his demeanour when Rashad went face to face.

Post fight interviews/staredowns is what sells future fights staged, semi staged or not. The live crowd were going crazy for it. I’m sick of people crying that all of a sudden that OMG! UFC is turning into WWE. Im sure Tank Abbot is rolling over in his grave at this. :P

No doubt its sells fights I agree, it's just a part of the game I dont like.

No doubt its sells fights I agree, it's just a part of the game I dont like.

Until they stumble upon a more effective alternative to replace it this is here to stay. I dont need to point out that you are entitled to your opinion.

Anyway this posturing comes more from boxing than WWE. WWE wishes they could execute something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

As long as Rampage doesnt run off with Rashad's wife, and in the next fight she intervenes to cost her ex-husband a win and then we get a 2 on 1 handicap match with Rampage and Dana White against Rashad but Rashad somehow wins with the help of Chuck Liddel who brings a beer truck to the octagon and drenches Dana in beer while Tito Ortiz suplex's him through a table and everything explodes and goes on fire...

I think we will be ok.

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    As long as Rampage doesnt run off with Rashad's wife, and in the next fight she intervenes to cost her ex-husband a win and then we get a 2 on 1 handicap match with Rampage and Dana White against Rashad but Rashad somehow wins with the help of Chuck Liddel who brings a beer truck to the octagon and drenches Dana in beer while Tito Ortiz suplex's him through a table and everything explodes and goes on fire...

I think we will be ok.

Lets just hope they never get into financial difficulty and get bought out by Vince then :P

I personally love a nice build-up to a match like that. I hate it when two "friends" fight, normally leads to a boring match.

All in all, excellent event. Really action-packed with loads of nice knockouts. The sell/brown fight...ouch!

I'm guessing hamill got knockout of the night though. Anyone got any info on the fighter pay yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Karatekrazy

i cant wait 4 a bit of black on black crime!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

personally was in stitches at rampage giving rashad lip. couldnt understand a thing from rashad though.
    Shortest UFC main card i can remember in a long time, even the prelims were quick. must've set the record for most amount of finishes in the first round

rovert wrote: »

That is irrelevant.

IMO Rashad came out looking very bad. Rampage was hyping the fight, and Rashad started into the whole "I'll give you the first punch" nonsense. If he did that he'd go asleep I'm pretty sure.

Rampage was impressive last night, he's evolving at the Wolfslair. He has started to shoot again, throwing kicks and moving backwards out of kicking range. I was impressed even if it means he fights at a slower pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

I think Rashad just kept sayin "I'm gonna knock you the fuk out" then said something like "I'll give you the first punch". That exchange was gas. I cant wait for it.

I'm telling you now that Rashad has the beating of Quinton. I'm picking Rashad.

That is irrelevant.

I didnt think so at time anyway calex71 and myself have talked it out and at least know where the other is coming from. Ive been asked the exact same question on here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Good show. The one fight they didn't show apparently had a ridiculously early stoppage. The same ref did the Grove fight, the crowd were chanting at him before the fight

I read on some site that Rampage did a radio interview where he said that he didn't know he'd have to fight again so soon and that he'd prefer not to. I think he'll have to go with it now that they did the post-match deal. I'd still rather see Machida get the shot, but I understand why they'd want Rampage

This video blog is pretty interesting to say the least given what went down last night:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Yeah that stoppage was ment to be terrible, Dana seemed pretty pissed with it aswell as the Brown/Sell stoppage in his blog. You can see in his blog after the fight is the first time Rampage finds out about the fight being in May, he doesnt seem to pleased with it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTWCJIvevyU

Edit: Rovert was in before me

• Advertisement

Yeah that stoppage was ment to be terrible, Dana seemed pretty pissed with it aswell as the Brown/Sell stoppage in his blog.

Dave Meltzer who covered this live and well as a great of ones going back to the early years of UFC said that many officals and journalists were in uniform agreement that it was the worst early stopage ever.
    You can see in his blog after the fight is the first time Rampage finds out about the fight being in May, he doesnt seem to pleased with it.

I think given the circumstances it was pretty ****ty for Dana to ask Rampage on camera and in front of load of people. Three fights in five months is a bit OTT in this day and age. The fight shuffling was handled pretty bad as even Brock didnt know the fight had changed until like late Friday.

Advertisement