Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing built up resin/gunk from saw blades, cutters etc.

Options
  • 08-03-2009 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

What do you use guys? I was looking at some of the stuff Rutlands had to offer, spray on liquids etc, but, mehhh........surely there must be some product or method more easily availible? What do you use to clean your blades, router bits etc etc? Would WD40 do the job? A wipe down with white spirits?

I guess I'm asking this now as I've become concerned about the lifespan of my new blades! :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

im still looking for a way of cleaning them properly myself but ive found wd40 or silicone grease and a tooth brush is a huge help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

What do you use guys? I was looking at some of the stuff Rutlands had to offer, spray on liquids etc, but, mehhh........surely there must be some product or method more easily availible? What do you use to clean your blades, router bits etc etc? Would WD40 do the job? A wipe down with white spirits?

I guess I'm asking this now as I've become concerned about the lifespan of my new blades! :p

Petrol or meths will usually work, however given that big stove u have in the workshop u would need to be careful:D:D, perhaps ask who ever u get you blades from

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

I have this stuff I spray on router bits, saw blades etc before I cut with them. It prevents pitch/gunk build up. I'll dig it out and post the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Oops! Sorry Croppy, it is the stuff from Rutlands.Empire OptiCut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Petrol or meths will usually work, however given that big stove u have in the workshop u would need to be careful:D:D, perhaps ask who ever u get you blades from

Cheers Carlow52, might not be a good idea in my shop alright, dont want the place getting any hotter than it needs to be! :p
    Fingalian wrote: »
    Oops! Sorry Croppy, it is the stuff from Rutlands.Empire OptiCut.

I'll be making another order from Rutlands soon anyway so I'll keep that in mind. Tis not that I dont want to buy the stuff, but I'd be interested to hear if there was any of those trade secrets, like.......i dont know, a rub down with half a potatoe or lemon! :P (hmmm, must try them!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've successfully used domestic oven cleaner (Mr Muscle or whatever) in the past; spray on the blade, cover with cling film to prevent evaporation and leave for an hour or so. Then scrub with an old toothbrush, wipe down with a wet cloth and spray with silicone or WD40 when you're finished. It's a lot cheaper than any of those special sprays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I found a quick rub with a wire brush to work on my blades and bits. Not brushing against the leading edge of course. Its quick as well

Advertisement