Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in NI army base

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'd like to know what the situation would be, were the British to actually walk away from the North after a successful RIRA campaign. Would these people simply hang up their guns and leave the rest to democracy, or would they roam around the entire island killing people who don't happen to share their views?

(Of course, this hypothetical situation ignores the fact that they will have to wipe out thousands of loyalists before they get to start a clean-up in these parts.)

So, why no takers, or is this off-topic?

I'm interested in knowing how this is supposed to pan out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

I do not celebrate killing nor do I get any satifation from seeing anyone shot dead,but in the case of these scumbags,I am delighted that for the first in a long time someone has done something about those who can be only described as invaders,what was their purpose in this country?,what was duty here?,nothing other then continue to occupy this island,they thought they could come here under orders from their paymasters and forcibly occupy this country,they were wrong,now they are in coffins being sent home,just like they would have been if they had gone to Afganistan

British Army have no place here,never had any place here and never will have any place here,they are fundmental legitimate targets,this was a political act of was regardless of the current climate,and while I hold little regard for groups such as the RIRA I welcome any attacks on British military and any British imposed security service such as the PSNI,

This is our country people,regardless of what our poor excuse of a government or media says regarding the peace process,a part of our country is been occupied by a foreign power,support those who fight this oppression,in any other country this would be a victory,but because of our coward mentally we condemn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Would these people simply hang up their guns and leave the rest to democracy, or would they roam around the entire island killing people who don't happen to share their views?
    I'm guessing the latter, seeing as how a pizza delivery man is deemed to be a "collaborator".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Irlbo wrote: »
    I do not celebrate killing nor do I get any satifation from seeing anyone shot dead,but in the case of these scumbags,I am delighted that for the first in a long time someone has done something about those who can be only described as invaders,what was their purpose in this country?,what was duty here?,nothing other then continue to occupy this island,they thought they could come here under orders from their paymasters and forcibly occupy this country,they were wrong,now they are in coffins being sent home,just like they would have been if they had gone to Afganistan

British Army have no place here,never had any place here and never will have any place here,they are fundmental legitimate targets,this was a political act of was regardless of the current climate,and while I hold little regard for groups such as the RIRA I welcome any attacks on British military and any British imposed security service such as the PSNI,

This is our country people,regardless of what our poor excuse of a government or media says regarding the peace process,a part of our country is been occupied by a foreign power,support those who fight this oppression,in any other country this would be a victory,but because of our coward mentally we condemn it!

small man complex?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

I agree, I think we should shoot all Poles working for Dominos pizza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Attitudes like this make me wonder how human civilisation ever managed to advance as far as it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If the British Army soldiers went home the "terrorists" would no longer have a Raison d'être. Problem solved!
    Wrong. The loylist ones would still exist, and the republican ones would keep fighting, or sell their skills down south.
    If the British Army soldiers went home the "terrorists" would no longer have a Raison d'être. Problem solved!
    Last time this happened, they went and sold their skills to the gangs. Bombs used in Blanchardstown often have markings of PIRA bomb-makers.
    wilson10 wrote: »
    I agree, I think we should shoot all Poles working for Dominos pizza.
    The wooden telegraph poles, or the lamp-post poles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

support those who fight this oppression

How about if these animals and their deservedly p*ss weak support continue to refuse to listen to the people on this island, they put their badly aimed bullet to much better use ie. on themselves?
    Sounds much better to me. Then with them doing this, the "oppression" of cerebrally challenged déudées f**king up any chance of peace and against the will of an overwhelming majority of this island's inhabitants will be snuffed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

blah blah blah apologist claptrap

More of the same from the cheerleaders of the extreme. Until scum like these murderers are removed from Ireland I do not want the North joined with us. I do not want these individuals sharing the society we live in.

It is quite warped as well that we are treated to verbal masturbation from their cheerleaders about how brave they are shooting through civilian pizza delivery men at unarmed soldiers and then shooting the injured on the ground. Pathetic, sad and it sums up how sick, twisted and irrelevant the extremes of republicanism are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sylvestersuntan

Extreme Republicanism doesnt really care what normal society thinks of it so your bang out of luck.

Going forward we may well get more periods of time where there is little or no political violence but ultimately while there is a British military presence on part of the island of Ireland there will always be people willing to take up arms against them and no amount of whinging will change that.
    As long as the underlying problem remains the potential for violence will remain.
    gandalf wrote: »
    More of the same from the cheerleaders of the extreme. Until scum like these murderers are removed from Ireland I do not want the North joined with us. I do not want these individuals sharing the society we live in.

It is quite warped as well that we are treated to verbal masturbation from their cheerleaders about how brave they are shooting through civilian pizza delivery men at unarmed soldiers and then shooting the injured on the ground. Pathetic, sad and it sums up how sick, twisted and irrelevant the extremes of republicanism are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The British army has a right to be here as long as a majority of people in the north want to be a part of the UK. Killing them is counterproductive and wrong. I'm a Northern Catholic Sinn Feiner by the way, so don't start this traitor crap. We tried war, it didn't work, it killed a lot of people, a lot of people suffered, and the two communities got sick of their ethnic warfare. Some parts of Belfast and Derry will forever be seperate cities within cities.

If Ireland is ever to be reunited, it will never come through the barrel of a gun. I'll emigrate if that ever happens through violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

djpbarry wrote: »
    I'm guessing the latter, seeing as how a pizza delivery man is deemed to be a "collaborator".

The supporters of these people posting on here don't seem to be able to think beyond the next week. Have they got a plan that is going to turn the whole island into a Utopic dream?

We've all heard the endlessly repeated history lessons/rants, but nothing else whatsoever relating to the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

They have named the murdered soldiers.

Mark Quinsey 23 years old from Birmingham, and Cengiz Azimkar 21 years old from London. RIP. Another stain on the soul of this country.

sylvestersuntan but like hypocrites they enjoy the benefits of living in that society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

You are aware of widespread state sponsored collusion in the 6 counties.

Any point in me raising the Charlie Haughey importing arms scandal ? Naw, probably not, because that sort of collusion is on "our" :rolleyes: side....
    A bombing campaign that is widely believed the British security forces organised.

If "widely believed" = "the truth", then I've been attacked on numerous occasions on here on boards.ie for pointing out "the truth" that Gerry McCabe was murdered.
    You are aware of the numerous dirty tricks "black ops" assignments that British forces have partaken through the years which are increasingly coming to light.

And here's where the "it's a war" retort shoots the "republican" angle in the foot; if dirty tricks and shooting pizza deliveries are OK during war, then the same leeway SHOULD be given to the British.

Personally, I don't think it should be, but I'm not the one bleating on that the so-called "brave" :rolleyes: individuals who did this should be excused because there's a war on.
    Crown forces close ranks and suppress documents when it suits them to do so.

And another "dirty trick" is disclaiming responsibility when the members that you've trained and armed go off and murder people.....do the Brits use that one too ?
    Call me paranoid if you like, but i would certainly question if Crown forces have Irelands interests at heart and could be trusted.

I didn't call you paranoid, as there is some validity to the corruption, but I definitely question whether those involved in this "have Ireland's interests at heart and could be trusted".

So again, you don't seem to want to end corruption, violence, "murderers" and untrustworthiness, you just seem to want to replace it with your preferred version of corruption, violence, "murderers" and untrustworthiness.

So I'll ask again Do you want to see one set of in-power "untrustworthy murderers" (as you call them) replaced by another ?

In my book, I'd like neither, and I'd like peace, and I'd like to see no-one murdered......but hey......I'm not the one with double-standards....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Extreme Republicanism doesnt really care what normal society thinks of it so your bang out of luck.

Going forward Going backwards we may well get more periods of time where there is little or no political violence but ultimately while there is a British military presence on part of the island of Ireland there will always be people willing to take up arms against them and no amount of whinging will change that.
    As long as the underlying problem remains the potential for violence will remain.

Sorry ,just had to amend that for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

Whats going on in Afghanistan is a war against the Taliban.
    These are the people who would put our girlfriends in burka's and stop their education and hang homosexuals.They'd stop at nothing to impliment that type of caveman ideology.
    I do regret the deaths of civilians in such a sanctioned war but that kind of shit happens in a war.
    What Rira did yesterday is not an act of war,it is a criminal act.

Hmmmmm, while agreeing with your substantive points on what happened in Antrim, this sort of moral equivalence, and frankly WAY over-simplified statement really lets the side down.

The war in Iraq's status as sanctioned is debatable at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

the_syco wrote: »
    Last time this happened, they went and sold their skills to the gangs. Bombs used in Blanchardstown often have markings of PIRA bomb-makers.

INLA. It's well known who it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

What Rira did yesterday is not an act of war,it is a criminal act.
    With Martin McGuinness's words last night [who gained my respect] I think that won't happen.I know you don't but with respect, I'd suggest you'd be more at home in the 32 county sovereignity movement or whatever the quasi political wing of Rira call themselves these days than in Sinn Féin unless you move on.

With respect, I don't support an armed campaign in Ireland. I'm quite content with where I am. As I have already stated, my only fault in your eyes is my lack of empathy for the soldiers. We'll agree to disagree.

I can understand your sentiments on why you feel my lack of compassion towards the lifes of these soldiers is distasteful, but unfortunately - when you spend your entire life building up anger towards the British military over their countless acts of terror - It's not that easy to turn a switch and instantly love them. I'm just being honest with my feelings. It doesn't mean that I wish to justify the attacks or even condone them - I don't, but rather express my honest-felt feelings on the situation and my opinion on the British military forces, which as you have already guessed - is as low at things come.

You claim that things have changed, and in Ireland - they have. But the British forces have not changed. They have been documented in countless human rights abuses in Iraq & Afghanistan and are constantly under fire from Amnesty International. They are not on a noble mission, but rather one of control through violence. Reading about these incidents are not really a great way to build empathy and compassion for those who commit them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Any point in me raising the Charlie Haughey importing arms scandal ? Naw, probably not, because that sort of collusion is on "our" :rolleyes: side........
    So the Brits are excused from collusion because of Haughey? :confused:

If "widely believed" = "the truth", then I've been attacked on numerous occasions on here on boards.ie for pointing out "the truth" that Gerry McCabe was murdered.....
    Its a further example of British forces using "plausible deniables" to carry out an operation. The UVF Portadown Division planted the Dublin/Monaghan bombs aided and abetted by British Security forces. You may wish to confer sainthood on British Security forces, but the reality is a lot more sinister. Wake up to reality!

And here's where the "it's a war" retort shoots the "republican" angle in the foot; if dirty tricks and shooting pizza deliveries are OK during war, then the same leeway SHOULD be given to the British.....
    Its not the same for both sides though. If the IRA decided to shoot 14 young civilians to death in Derry, do you think the full rigour of the law would apply?

Personally, I don't think it should be, but I'm not the one bleating on that the so-called "brave" :rolleyes: individuals who did this should be excused because there's a war on.....

I don't recall saying they should be excused. If caught they will have to face the full rigours of the law.
    And another "dirty trick" is disclaiming responsibility when the members that you've trained and armed go off and murder people.....do the Brits use that one too ?....

Every dirty trick in the book has been used by Britain in the north of Ireland. They traditionally have used loyalists to do their dirty. If they get caught they are on their own - The loyalist cannon fodder to their British security handlers are called 'plausible deniables'.
    I didn't call you paranoid, as there is some validity to the corruption, but I definitely question whether those involved in this "have Ireland's interests at heart and could be trusted".....
    The Real IRA along with some other 'dissident groups' have Irelands sovereignty as their core goal. I would trust them to have Irelands interests at heart far more than i would trust British forces. You might point to the Omagh bombing which the press loves to accredit to the RIRA. However, as always its not that simple, as one of the main architects was Robin Jackson a confirmed British agent. Dirty tricks galore. How the RIRA got sucked into that black op defies belief really. The were a new formed group and i doubt they would ever be so gullible again.
    So again, you don't seem to want to end corruption, violence, "murderers" and untrustworthiness, you just seem to want to replace it with your preferred version of corruption, violence, "murderers" and untrustworthiness.....
    I detest corruption and state sponsored collusion. Thats why i would like to see an end to British rule in Ireland. They are using the north as their own personal training ground. They do not have the natives interests at heart.

So I'll ask again Do you want to see one set of in-power "untrustworthy murderers" (as you call them) replaced by another ?....
    I want to see a fair Republican Socialist Government with jurisdiction over 32 counties. Then Ireland can finally move on.
    In my book, I'd like neither, and I'd like peace, and I'd like to see no-one murdered......but hey......I'm not the one with double-standards....
    We all would like peace and an end to murders, me included. While Britain has jurisdiction over part of our land that is just a pipe dream i'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I want to see a fair Republican Socialist Government with jurisdiction over 32 counties. Then Ireland can finally move on.

will the last one out please turn off the lights ?

We all would like peace and an end to murders, me included. While Britain has jurisdiction over part of our land that is just a pipe dream i'm afraid.

I take it that the majority of your fellow countrymen don't know what they are talking about then?

What makes you and your kind so superior they can ignore a democratic decision to allow the people of northern Ireland to decide their own future and resort to killing unarmed men and civilians??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

The Real IRA along with some other 'dissident groups' have Irelands sovereignty as their core goal. I would trust them to have Irelands interests at heart far more than i would trust British forces.
    They continue to ignore the will of the people they claim to represent which says a lot about their imbecillic delusions. They and the tiny number of idiots who support and speak for them DO NOT have Ireland's interests at heart. They don't listen to Ireland and they do not represent anyone but murdering c***s like themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

dlofnep wrote: »
    but unfortunately - when you spend your entire life building up anger towards the British military over their countless acts of terror - It's not that easy to turn a switch and instantly love them. I'm just being honest with my feelings. It doesn't mean that I wish to justify the attacks or even condone them - I don't, but rather express my honest-felt feelings on the situation and my opinion on the British military forces, which as you have already guessed - is as low at things come.
    Can I ask what age you are? If from my understanding you are an actifist with SF in WIT,then you can't be more than 21 or 22.
    That means that the last time there was trouble in NI,you were like 9 or 10 years of age and more than half your life has been since the peace process.

and you are building up resentment over that time?
    Thats unhealthy if you ask me and I'm not trying to be facetitious.
    They have been documented in countless human rights abuses in Iraq & Afghanistan and are constantly under fire from Amnesty International. They are not on a noble mission, but rather one of control through violence. Reading about these incidents are not really a great way to build empathy and compassion for those who commit them.
    Have you read AI or similar reports on the IRA over the years ? You won't find glowing reports.
    But really if this is barrell scraping in some sort of effort to justify yesterdays events.
    I wouldnt go there if I were you.
    Really I wouldn't.
    Even Gerry Adams was sympathising with the families of the soldiers today and I would suspect that he has a lot more experience of the troubles than someone who wasn't born for most of them and was maybe 9 or 10 the last time there was a shooting.
    Again,I think you have no grasp of how ridiculous most people would find your standpoint and would continue to urge you to think about it from everybody elses perspective and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

So the Brits are excused from collusion because of Haughey? :confused:
    Its not the same for both sides though. If the IRA decided to shoot 14 young civilians to death in Derry, do you think the full rigour of the law would apply?

It should, but it depends on who knows about it, and whether they are scared of being accused of being "informers" if they actively want to see justice done and murderers made pay for their crimes.
    Every dirty trick in the book has been used by Britain in the north of Ireland. They traditionally have used loyalists to do their dirty. If they get caught they are on their own - The loyalist cannon fodder to their British security handlers are called 'plausible deniables'.

So (to refer to your comment above re Haughey) the IRA are excused from collusion because of the Brits ?

The Real IRA along with some other 'dissident groups' have Irelands sovereignty as their core goal. I would trust them to have Irelands interests at heart far more than i would trust British forces.

If the country were behind them, they wouldn't be called "dissident".
    You might point to the Omagh bombing which the press loves to accredit to the RIRA. However, as always its not that simple, as one of the main architects was Robin Jackson a confirmed British agent. Dirty tricks galore. How the RIRA got sucked into that black op defies belief really. The were a new formed group and i doubt they would ever be so gullible again.

Oh, so your desire to see justice done depends on who's behind it ? Those who planted the bombs were ultimately responsible. Yes, whoever's behind it should be brought to justice, but your inferring that a "British agent" was behind it rings hollow considering that if there's no opportunity to deflect the blame the IRA would simply say "unauthorised operation" or "ooops, a mistake" - i.e. ALWAYS passing the buck.
    I detest corruption and state sponsored collusion.

As do I, but I would leave out the "state sponsored" and treat EVERY corruption and crime the same way.
    They do not have the natives interests at heart.

Maybe not, but neither do those who plant bombs and rob banks and make life difficult for "the natives". BTW, who are "the natives" ? Does it include the unionists and those who have lived there for 100 years ? How long do you have to live somewhere to be viewed as "a native" in your eyes ?

I want to see an Ireland that has no criminals and murderers in power, and I want to see FF out of power; does that mean I can go shoot Willie O'Dea or Brian Cowen ?

There WAS peace and an end to murders - just a few days ago. Who do you think started it up again ? Was "pizza" a telephone code-word ?

I can understand your sentiments on why you feel my lack of compassion towards the lifes of these soldiers is distasteful, but unfortunately - when you spend your entire life building up anger towards the British military over their countless acts of terror - It's not that easy to turn a switch and instantly love them. I'm just being honest with my feelings.

Sorry mate while it might be a matter of taste, its fairly safe to say that your "lack of compassion" is most certainly distasteful. Also having a shred of empathy for the murder of a 21 yr old and a 23 year, be they soldiers or not, while receiving a pizza, at a base during peacetime, is NOT, I repeat IN NO WAY, equated with "instantly love" as you refer to it, for the British armed forces. Those kids werent even born during Bloody Sunday, the "British military" are not a single homogeneous entity, ageless and equal in culpability for all acts ever done. For all you know, those kids never harmed a fly. They were doing their job and they were murdered by faceless criminals with absolutely no democratic mandate for their operations. Grow up.
    You claim that things have changed, and in Ireland - they have. But the British forces have not changed. They have been documented in countless human rights abuses in Iraq & Afghanistan and are constantly under fire from Amnesty International. They are not on a noble mission, but rather one of control through violence. Reading about these incidents are not really a great way to build empathy and compassion for those who commit them.

Yeah again, British forces is not a catch-all phrase for every individual soldier who has ever wronged another human being, whether on the behalf of the British government or on their own twisted impulse. Things have changed. In Ireland. In Northern Ireland. How in the name of Christ are YOU qualified to distinguish their mission as one of control thru violence? Name the last military mission YOU thought was noble incidentally. The only violence perpetrated here was by the Real IRA. Bringing up similar acts perpetrated by the British doesnt excuse it. Its not a race to the bottom.

will the last one out please turn off the lights ?

I take it that the majority of your fellow countrymen don't know what they are talking about then?

What makes you and your kind so superior they can ignore a democratic decision to allow the people of northern Ireland to decide their own future and resort to killing unarmed men and civilians??

My kind? I've already stated i neither support or condemn them. The peace process is the template for future progress and it won't be derailed. I was out drinking on Saturday night in Dublin you cant put the attack on the Massarene army base on me. :p

Have you read AI or similar reports on the IRA over the years ? You won't find glowing reports.

SO what!? Ignore any British infractions?

I just reprimanded him for using this sort of simplistic justification and you go and do the same thing. You can't fight ignorance with hypocrisy. The existence of IRA atrocities within the pages of AI reports is no way to answer an allegation that the British are guilty of the same. One doesnt excuse the other. As I've already said-its not a race to the bottom.

My kind? I've already stated i neither support or condemn them. The peace process is the template for future progress and it won't be derailed. I was out drinking on Saturday night in Dublin you cant put the attack on the Massarene army base on me. :p

I'd ask you not to be so flippant about the whole thing. Two young men were murdered, I have a brother the same age in the Irish army. Stop sticking your tongue out and have some bloody respect.

I genuinely can't believe the level of backwards thinking by some on this thread.
    Ireland has moved on.
    The lunatic element hasn't but they'll end up in jail and not have a shred of sympathy for their plight.

@dlofnep : That last post you made there about building up resentment is outlandish if you are as young as you are given how far along the peace process has come.If you are that young,then like the soldiers that were killed you would not have lived through any of the NI troubles in a cognisant way.

It doesn't become a SF activist either to be regurgitating the like of that tired old mantra.

What you need to be doing is quietly respecting your brethern [even if most people never agreed with them] rather than waving like a red rag to a bull an attitude like you have on what most people would think in a civilised society is unacceptable.

• Advertisement

They continue to ignore the will of the people they claim to represent which says a lot about their imbecillic delusions. They and the tiny number of idiots who support and speak for them DO NOT have Ireland's interests at heart. They don't listen to Ireland and they do not represent anyone but murdering c***s like themselves.

As long as British rule in Ireland continues there will be people out there who will strike against it. Every generation since the 1790s has struck out against it, and it will continue until reunification. The partition of our state has sowed the seeds of the current problemis. When this problem is sorted normality will finally be given a chance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement