Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in NI army base

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

what brave brave people these gunman are true heroes of Ireland
    Yep, they are pure cowardly low-life scum 'operating' under the ridiculous delusion that they represent the people of this island.
    And anyone who supports their modus operandi is scum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

While I don't condone the attacks or support the dissidents, I also couldn't give a rashers for these soldiers or have any sympathy for them.

Call centre worker answers phone, chef cooks meal, occupying soldier gets a bullet. Thats life.

Its ignorance like that, which will re-ignite this whole mess.

There is peace.

If it was Afganistan, thats a different story.

There is peace. Leave it that way.

Fact is, if the cash was still flowing freely, this wouldn't even have happened.

Just a buch of lowlife criminals.

Call centre worker answers phone, chef cooks meal, occupying soldier gets a bullet. Thats life.
    You forgot 'pizza delivery men'.
    Or are they just collateral damage? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You do realise though that this is the army of our nearest neighbour that you are talking about.

That's neither here nor there. Distance is irrelevant. It's an arbitrary value to discuss. The British army is the only army in the history of this state, besides Nazi Germany to kill Irish people on Irish soil.
    To carry that logic through in government , you'd be breaking off diplomatic relations,recalling our embassador etc etc.

What logic? My lack of empathy for British soldiers who have murdered civilians across the world?

Now in saying that; I don't believe it was right to kill them. I don't think any good will come of it. Infact, it will make things worse.
    It's also an attitude that would cause outrage in America,the country that used bankroll Noraid/Sinnfein and the IRA over the decades but doesn't anymore thanks to Alqueda spoiling that party.

I couldn't give a fiddlers about America. They are in no position to offer moral guidance to anybody. They have, like the British military forces slaughter thousands around the world. They support Israel's ongoing attacks against the Palestinian people, which in itself is a terrorist act .
    Your post betrays an attitude still from SF activists that underpins the reason why I always make my voice heard as to the inherent undemocratic and dangerous nature of that party.

My post is my honest thoughts on the situation. If you don't like honesty, I suggest you look elsewhere. I have already stated that I did not think it was right to do but that I have little to no empathy for members of a military force which slaughters thousands around the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Its ignorance like that, which will re-ignite this whole mess.

There is peace.

If it was Afganistan, thats a different story.

There is peace. Leave it that way.

Please!

Thats why M16 and Brit special forces are using the 6 counties as a 'soft' test for their operatives?

Sectarian attacks against Catholics continue on a daily basis.

No one is asking the obvious question, why were they barracked in the 6? The place was supposed to have been demilitarised

The 6 counties have not normailsed to the extent they should and unfortunatly there are still brit soldiers in the north for lunatics to shoot at.

You forgot 'pizza delivery men'.
    Or are they just collateral damage? :rolleyes:

I'm not for a second condoning this attack. Its pointless and the action of fanatics.

I just care not one jot for the occupying soldiers lives.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...because if nothing else, Irish history shows how executing people quiets everything down.

History also quite clearly proves that when you have an economic downturn, the bored criminals act up.

If they realise they have no public support, life will be that much harder for them.
    This is nothing to do with the Provisionals.

Where did I say Provisional?
    Nowhere.

You said Provisional.

I said "Any nationalist or unionists should be executed by their own government".

Get your facts straight please and don't put words in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I'm not for a second condoning this attack. Its pointless and the action of fanatics.

What can be more important than human life?

Sectarian attacks against Catholics continue on a daily basis
    They (British military) are responsible for these alleged sectarian attacks against Roman Catholics??

• Advertisement

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    What can be more important than human life?

Nothing. But occupying soldiers tend to be the most lethal people in the world. I mourn not their passing.

They (British military) are responsible for these alleged sectarian attacks against Roman Catholics??

Not currently, but I'm merely commenting on the naivety of some posters who seem to think that this attack happened in a vacum.

Please!

Thats why M16 and Brit special forces are using the 6 counties as a 'soft' test for their operatives?

Sectarian attacks against Catholics continue on a daily basis.

No one is asking the obvious question, why were they barracked in the 6? The place was supposed to have been demilitarised

The 6 counties have not normailsed to the extent they should and unfortunatly there are still brit soldiers in the north for lunatics to shoot at.

Fact is:
    A) Nobody has been running around killing each other for years.
    B) There is now a political process for whatever 'objectives' necessary to be obtained.
    C) No dissident Republican declared an end to the cease fire, they just took a cowardly cheap shot

This is just the action of cowardly criminals, not political freedom fighters.

Those dead soldiers may have families, brothers and sisters, parents and children. They have killed anyone, they're there to enforce the peace.

Being a soldier is just a job.
    It doesn't mean people can murder you in cold blood, unless you have declared war or violated international conventions.
    Thats illegal, immoral and down right cowardly.

Fact is:
    A) Nobody has been running around killing each other for years.
    B) There is now a political process for whatever 'objectives' necessary to be obtained.
    C) No dissident Republican declared an end to the cease fire, they just took a cowardly cheap shot

This is just the action of cowardly criminals, not political freedom fighters.

Those dead soldiers may have families, brothers and sisters, parents and children. They have killed anyone, they're there to enforce the peace.

Being a soldier is just a job.
    It doesn't mean people can murder you in cold blood, unless you have declared war or violated international conventions.
    Thats illegal, immoral and down right cowardly.

Agreed. But I simply couldn't care less that they are dead.

Not currently, but I'm merely commenting on the naivety of some posters who seem to think that this attack happened in a vacum.

The only Naieve one is yourself friend.
    Don't you think there are unionists reading these boards?

On the English boards I post on, I've asked not to let these people divide us.

Your statements are just ignorance that add fuel to the fire.

How about you be a man and just say its wrong.
    Leave it at that.

No matter what any plastic replublican says about the deaths and additional wounded, this criminal attack happened during a time of peaceful compromise mandated by a unprecedented number of inhabitants of the 32 counties, not a time of *sigh* "occupation" :rolleyes:
    Nothing justifies any of the mortalities or injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Would you say the same should one of the Irish lads in Chad get killed?

amacachi wrote: »

Of course he wouldn't. He's an hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

Some people, possibly dissident republicans have shot dead 2 soldiers at an army base in NI http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7930837.stm

Bloody hell, not this crap again. The perpetrators should be shot, scum like them are ruining the peace for the majority who despise their illegal actions.

Thoughts??

although it is sad when any human loses there life, it seems you are unaware of the facts, such as there should not be any british troops in ireland anyway, they have no right in ireland.

as for the "majority", i think you will find the north of ireland consists of a false majority created through partition by the british, against the will of the true majority of the 32 countys of ireland.

TomRooney wrote: »
    as for the "majority", i think you will find the north of ireland consists of a false majority created through partition by the british, against the will of the true majority of the 32 countys of ireland.

The majority (biggest ever during a record poll) of this island already voted via referendum on how they felt about the North and the Republic.
    Or were you asleep during that whole process?

• Advertisement

The only Naieve one is yourself friend.
    Don't you think there are unionists reading these boards?

On the English boards I post on, I've asked not to let these people divide us.

Your statements are just ignorance that add fuel to the fire.

How about you be a man and just say its wrong.
    Leave it at that.
    No matter what any plastic replublican says about the deaths and additional wounded, this criminal attack happened during a time of peaceful compromise mandated by a unprecedented number of inhabitants of the 32 counties, not a time of *sigh* "occupation" :rolleyes:

Please point to where I said this attack was justified, right or anything.

It was a pointless, strategically inane attack from a group of fanatics which puts their own people at risk from retaliation from the loyalists.

All I'm saying is I will lose no sleep over the 'victims'.

there is absolutely no comparison between irish troops on a peace keeping mission in chad by invite may i add, and the ongoing presence of 4000 british troops on irish soil without invite from the irish people.

what a stupid moronic comparison.

They are there on a mandated UN peacekeeping mission at the request of the Chadian government. Somewhat different to the 6 counties.

The majority (biggest ever during a record poll) of this island already voted via referendum on how they felt about the North and the Republic.
    Or were you asleep during that whole process?

the last ALL Ireland vote happened in 1919 i believe and that showed an overwhelming majority voting for a complete break from britain, there has never been an all Ireland vote since.

your revisionist history will get you nowhere with me.

over 90 percent of irish people would like to see a united Ireland according to a recent poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

They are there on a mandated UN peacekeeping mission at the request of the Chadian government. Somewhat different to the 6 counties.

Any word from the UN as to when they're demanding the British soldiers leave part of their own country? I tried asking but they didn't seem to know much about it.

It's part of the UK, they're not "occupying" it, it's no different to our own army having barracks in our own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

There is such talk of mandate from the 32 counties - however to be fair the people who actually give a tap about the North in the South are few and far between.

Why do you think you should have any say in Northern affairs? For all intensive purposes Northern Republicans have been abandoned by the South, why is it that the only 32-county Party is Sinn Féin? The fact of the matter is that people are happy with the status quo, and as long as that isn't affected we'd let anything happen up there.

Note: I'm in the same position as you

TomRooney wrote: »
    the last ALL Ireland vote happened in 1919 i believe and that showed an overwhelming majority voting for a complete break from britain, there has never been an all Ireland vote since.

your revisionist history will get you nowhere with me.

over 90 percent of irish people would like to see a united Ireland according to a recent poll.

Nothing revisionist in anything I've posted.
    I guess 1998 was your (conveniently) dozy year after all.

Any word from the UN as to when they're demanding the British soldiers leave part of their own country? I tried asking but they didn't seem to know much about it.

Well done Jeremy, hilarious stuff. :rolleyes:
    It's part of the UK, they're not "occupying" it, it's no different to our own army having barracks in our own country.

well it clearly is, no-one riddles defence forces personell with bullets the minute they open their heavily fortified barracks door.

I assume you are on a fishing trip?

Nothing revisionist in anything I've posted.
    I guess 1998 was your (conveniently) dozy year after all.

I think I voted for the GFA for very different reasons you did.

• Advertisement

Cliste wrote: »
    There is such talk of mandate from the 32 counties - however to be fair the people who actually give a tap about the North in the South are few and far between.

Why do you think you should have any say in Northern affairs? For all intensive purposes Northern Republicans have been abandoned by the South, why is it that the only 32-county Party is Sinn Féin? The fact of the matter is that people are happy with the status quo, and as long as that isn't affected we'd let anything happen up there.

Note: I'm in the same position as you
    I should have phrased it differently.
    People in Northern Ireland and people in the Republic voted by referendum for a peaceful solution by compromise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement