Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What next... any advice please?!

• 08-03-2009 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

So I want to try and make a long long story short, I would really really appreciate some ideas/suggestions for what I can do with myself for the next 6 to 12 months.

I have done 5 yrs in college, Computer Systems, 3 years in the "real" world working in IT and I am now a ski instructor in Lake Tahoe, California. The season ends in April and I'm due to head home in early May, but have no idea what then... :confused:

I'm totally up for any crazy off the wall ideas too. As I see it Ireland is a bit depressing at the moment so now is a good time to get all this crazy stuff out of my system :D.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

Hey

Dunno if you'd be interested but I'm currently teaching English in Asia which is a grwat experience. Total culture change from the West and loadsa stuff to do during my time off. During holidays you can travel to other countries also and the money is pretty good.

They're crying out for English teachers in most countries here and all you need is a degree. There's a recession going on here too but we know nothing about it cos we don't know the language!!

Just a suggestion - but if you want any more info feel free to pm me!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭shawty

Hey,

Thanks, that's actually a great idea and the exact type of thing of looking for, along the crazy out there ideas line. I'll honestly give that some serious thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭coco85

Hey..

Ski season starts in New Zealand around May/June.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

shawty wrote: »
    I have done 5 yrs in college, Computer Systems, 3 years in the "real" world working in IT and I am now a ski instructor in Lake Tahoe, California. The season ends in April and I'm due to head home in early May, but have no idea what then...

Ah, you could march up and down at the IDA offices with a placard.

There were plans in the pipeline to build an indoor ski resort in north Dublin, but the IDA blocked the planning application because "this isn't the type of business envisioned under the zoning of that area".

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Player_86

How about going to sell cars to US military in Iraq or somewhere like that?

I know of a few people who have done this - they've had a good time, experienced something different, and made a lot of money (there's great commission and it's tax free in some places as far as I know). Check out http://www.encs.com/about-us.aspx?id=45. No experience necessary or anything like that.

Best of luck mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Go to google maps, find an island you've never heard of, and go there for a month. Rinse, repeat. Alternatively you could go somewhere like Africa and experience all the different cultures and tribes there.

Learn a new language while you're at it! Have some fun, be impulsive. Go somewhere you've never heard of. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

dont know if volunteering is something you would look into but there is loads of stuff to do on http://www.i-to-i.com/. not sure prices wise etc but its something that you could look at.

I'm all for animals and there is things like working with monkeys and lionsin africa, pandas in china etc

sports wise there is surf schools and turtle conservation in costa rica, soccer in argentina, kick boxing in thailand

as mentioned above there is loads of teaching in Nepal, Thailand, Cambodia etc

love the idea liah - google maps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

A guy I know used to teach skiiing in the Winter, and then in Summer he would teach scuba diving

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Freddiestar

try vaughantown.com...they provide food and accomodation for 5 nights in a 4*hotel in different locations around Spain...in return you talk to Spanairds who want to learn English.
    It's pretty intense but worth it, I did it for a week last year and am considering it again...you could probably get a few months out of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you're not tied down why don't you go somewhere else for the season, like Colorado, or Alaska?

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Loving the suggestions.

If I was going to do another ski season I would go to Whistler in Canada, but I've no real urge to do one. Any one who does I do highly recommend Northstar, Lake Tahoe or Whistler, my cousin did a season there and loved it.

I think I'd like to go a bit further than Spain. That's a cool idea though!!

Picking an island is another great idea.. :D ... if only my bank balance would allow for that!!

Iraq, just sounds crazy!! I must have a look into that not sure I would actually go through with something like that to be honest..

I am going to look more into the teaching thing, really liking that idea.

Any more crazy cool ideas would be greatly appreciated.. you buy good suggestions like these...

Thanks guys.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Can you teach swimming or anything?Most the ski instructors I've spoken to seem to teach swimming locally or guide hillwalkers or mountain bikers during summers.
    Either that or go travelling around Asia/Thailand etc..
    For the record, I'm phenomenally jealous of you, both coz you've been skiing all winter, and coz you're looking into trips like this!!!!Good luck!

Nope, I'm not qualified to teach swimming... I know of ppl who are snorkeling instructors during the summer and I'd love that but I have asthma it's out the window..

:D I know I'm lucky to be doing it... so glad I did it too, has been great experience. That's why I'm so mad to keep it going and do something else crazy before heading back to the real world...

Still thinking of that plan!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im not sure about work but when you mentioned lake Tahoe I suddenly remembered all about the San Juan Island system up near the coast of Seattle (zip 98250) - don't know about work but the area is something else and during the summer quite warm. A lot of camping goes on there, and presumably some watersports etc. if you want to learn how to teach a summer sport. As well as that it is not all that far from Redmond whereyou could put your degree to work.

:confused:

I have not heard of Redmond? Is there some big IT place there or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Teach English in Korea

www.tigerenglish.com

Have heard some great feedback from people i know that have gone over and done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭road_2_damascus

liah wrote: »
    Go to google maps, find an island you've never heard of, and go there for a month. Rinse, repeat. Alternatively you could go somewhere like Africa and experience all the different cultures and tribes there.

Learn a new language while you're at it! Have some fun, be impulsive. Go somewhere you've never heard of. :)

I have done this lately, and have decided to travel to Tristan Da Chuna in the south Atlantic some time... meanwhile, Im stuck in Ireland, dreaming of being somewhee else

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

shawty wrote: »
    :confused:

I have not heard of Redmond? Is there some big IT place there or something?

Redmond, Washington is the home of Microsoft

Ah Microsoft.. I actually worked there for a short time back in Dublin, great place to work. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

As for the teaching, I do hear (and see now from looking a little bit) that South Korea is a great spot to go but I think I'd be more drawn by Indonesia or Thailand. Anybody teaching English in those places?

I actually seriously considering it, thanks again for the idea. It pretty much ticks all the boxes for me, still on my travels but have a reliable (even if only small) income.

Although I am still hoping something a bit crazier might come along!!

Advertisement