Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Gormley grown a pair?

Options
  • 08-03-2009 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭

New laws will ban political donations
    Political donations will be banned under new laws being introduced by Environment Minister John Gormley.

“We are not compromised and we will break the link between big business and politics,” he said in his televised leader’s address.

“That is why I intend, as Minister for the Environment, to introduce legislation to stop political donations from the big corporations, to restrict the spending of money by political parties between elections and to reduce the limits at which donations have to be declared.

Not holding my breath, but if this actually goes through the Green party will get a vote from me in the next election. They got my vote in the last one, something I've regretted ever since, but here at last is something that could justify their existence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

And pigs might fly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the reason i doubt this is cos he doesn't say anything about public funding, this is significant and what he came to do, but i so don't care right now. i don't he can be thanked now for doing something that won't affect us for few years, and don't think he'll be thanks in few years( which is his dream) for not doing more on the economy and propping up the boom and busters now.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Gurgle wrote: »
    New laws will ban political donations

Not holding my breath, but if this actually goes through the Green party will get a vote from me in the next election. They got my vote in the last one, something I've regretted ever since, but here at last is something that could justify their existence.

You gave them a vote and will consider voting for them again dont you think they have done enough damage with hopefully their one and only stint in the hot seat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

I think Gormley has done a few good things for the environment, but a bit disappointing in other ways. At least he is not wasting our money travelling abroad on St. Patrick's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

No, he's talking crap.

As usual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Darsad wrote: »
    You gave them a vote and will consider voting for them again
    Yes, if he gets this legislation through.
    Otherwise, never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Has Gormley grown a pair?

NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

At this stage a pair could only be denoted by no longer being a member of government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Is it just me or does he remind you of the professor from back to the future? Hydrogen powered delorean? Madness!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Eh! NO!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No but they have learnt the power of government. It's yet another "Look what we've done/promised to do speech". It's a nice populist one to pick and were they not part of the awful government one that would convince people they are true to their core beliefs. If it goes down he can play the blame game, otherwise they might avoid a serious spanking at the next election. "We are in the long grass" as they say. ;)

Advertisement