Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

raw chocolate = superfood?

• 08-03-2009 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Found this website http://www.therawchocolateshop.com Had a quick gawk at it and they basically claim it's a superfood, no badness in it at all :confused: Could the nutritionists out there please tell me how true this is..?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think they're claiming that their chocolate is great. It has no sugar in it, so in all likelihood, it'd taste like crap. Ever had chocolate with a really high cocoa percentage, like 99%? It's just bitter and, imo, absolutely disgusting. But theoretically, it's healthy, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

Agree with you 100%, it would most likely taste horrible. I'm just curious as to the nutritional side of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

sadhbhc15 wrote: »
    I'm just curious as to the nutritional side of it...

The less processed, the better.
    "The cacao bean and its bran have the highest polyphenol levels," nutritionist Angela Miraglio noted in a May 2001 article in Nutrition Notes. "Processing the beans destroys some polyphenols; temperature, chemical changes and duration of exposure contribute to the loss. So the level of polyphenols in the final product vary. Cocoa processors and chocolate manufacturers are beginning to take precautions to minimize the losses."(13)

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?id=3464&t=CFIDS_FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

I worked in a raw food restaurant last year, all the chocolate we used in the deserts was raw. It's got a much more grainy texture to it, and not as sweet, but if used properly can be amazing. It is very good for you- chocolate is said to have many healthy properties, and is very theraputic. I can remember the exactness of it but is definitely good for you, and you can eat as much of it as you want without putting on weight! (apparently).

Advertisement