Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having wireless and cable together

Options
  • 08-03-2009 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭

Is there any advantage to having wireless and cable (Cat5e ethernet) on the same laptop?
    I started with netgear WGR614 wireless connection but found it dropped out often enough to make surfing stressful.
    I then installed ethernet cable directly from wireless box to laptop and it works fine no more hassle.
    Does the operating system use both channels for internet traffic or just the fastest?
    Would this speed up the connection if I disabled the wireless connection or am I better off leaving it on as second channel for data to get through?
    I am thinking of cabling up the kitchen next because I get the same wireless hassle there but want to know first if there are any stronger wireless transmitters on the market than Netgear?
    If not I will cable up the kitchen to get some surfing peace.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mykro28

If you have two connections to the same IP network in windows the routing table will automatically choose the interface with the best metric. In your case this would be the wired interface as it has a greater speed, 10/100/1000 whereas the wireless max speed is 11 or 55 Mbps. So if you have both connected the Ethernet connection will be used. You can check this by going into the cmd and issuing the command route print you can see the assigned metric int he colm on the right.
    As for your wireless connection dropping out, I guess that you are pretty close to the router, (if you can run a Cat5 cable to it). Maybe you need to upgrade the firmware on your router or update the wlan card drivers in your laptop. This can usually fix a lot of issues.

Cheers....

Advertisement