Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mail Server had not been configured

Options
  • 08-03-2009 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a brochure website and from it allow people to send quotation requests. I was getting quite a few and on replying to them never got any further contact from the customers. I just found out yesterday after days of being onto my hosting company that the mail server had not been configured correctly and although I was able to receive mail, the mail I sent went nowhere.

The only reason I realised is when I set up the email in Outlook as I had previously been using the hosts mail service. My emails kept failing in Outlook while in the hosts online service it just appeared it was sent.

Is this my own stupidity for not checking or is the host responsible, am I entitled to anything for lost potential business, or can I just basically request a refund and move my hosting requirements elsewhere.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'd have a look at the T&Cs if I were you, all you'll get here is idle speculation.

If it was something wrong on their side, I'd tell them you're unhappy and considering moving, worst they can do is say "sorry to see you go", alternatively they might offer some sort of compensation in the form of a few months free service or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭lostprophetsie

CuLT wrote: »
    I'd have a look at the T&Cs if I were you, all you'll get here is idle speculation.

If it was something wrong on their side, I'd tell them you're unhappy and considering moving, worst they can do is say "sorry to see you go", alternatively they might offer some sort of compensation in the form of a few months free service or something.

Hi Cult,

thanks for your reply, I more want to gauge if it is my own stupidity for not noticing this.
    The problem was definately on their end and as its a shared hosting package it seems I am not the only person affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Speak to your hosting company to get the server sorted out and see if they are willing to offer anything in return. Failing that, respond to the emails again and move on IMO.

Advertisement