Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession has arrived at RTE.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Maybe its just me, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Maybe its just me, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

Sorry about that.
    It may in fact be me, but that's the first time I've seen the Google ad fairy visit RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭LowOdour

mikom wrote: »
    Sorry about that.
    It may in fact be me, but that's the first time I've seen the Google ad fairy visit RTE
    Good spot, I never noticied it before either. Look where Gerry Ryan's pay cut refusal has landed them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

mikom wrote: »
    Sorry about that.

Yes, you'd think that RTE would have paid adverts from companies instead of relying on cents from clicks of google ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I don't see any google ads. Those are all rte linked ads:confused:

Edit: just refreshed my page and they are there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

haha now thats funny

spose they have to pay "king" kenny somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Actually, rte.ie is a finacially independent entitty. It has to support itself it doesn't get any tax payers money, nor does it give anything back at present (as far as I know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

p wrote: »
    Actually, rte.ie is a finacially independent entitty. It has to support itself it doesn't get any tax payers money, nor does it give anything back at present (as far as I know)

You are sort of correct.
    RTE doesn't receive the license fee money directly. The Department of Communications does but they pass this onto RTE. RTE would not survive on advertising revenue alone in it's current state.
    There is more to RTE then three channels, there are many radio stations and a symphony orchestra too.

Their political mandate is to at least break even so with them facing massive losses they have no choice but to cut back. A license fee increase would not be tolerated!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

i'm pretty much of the opinion that a licence fee is a form of stealth tax but i'm digressing from the OP

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mikemac wrote: »
    You are sort of correct.
    RTE doesn't receive the license fee money directly. The Department of Communications does but they pass this onto RTE. RTE would not survive on advertising revenue alone in it's current state.
    There is more to RTE then three channels, there are many radio stations and a symphony orchestra too.

Their political mandate is to at least break even so with them facing massive losses they have no choice but to cut back. A license fee increase would not be tolerated!

he is totally correct, you have misunderstood him.

He said rte.ie didn't get any funding and it doesn't. It is part of rte publishing which includes the rte guide and the website which are only funded by commercial funds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ah, I missed the .ie part

When I make a mistake I'll admit it :o

Advertisement