Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you please recommend a sport suitable for a 5yr old

Options
  • 08-03-2009 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

As above, I am looking for a soccer club etc. that would take a 5 yr old boy. We're in Kilkenny just over a year since he started school he has been having issues with being kicked and punched and has no idea of how to react or stand up for himself and it is getting somewhat out of control and is really starting to worry us.

We thought if we could get him into a soccer club etc. that he would get used to being pushed around a bit in pursuit of the ball etc. while having fun and also how to interact with other kids his age but without the bullying factor , hope that makes sense. Any recommendations would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

What part of Kilkenny are you in.?Also Hurling would be good for him to start.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

tennis...great age for him to start and maby he can become a great tennis player some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LINDA08

Thanks all, we live in the city and wouldn't mind travelling any distance to get him into something, hadn't thought of the hurling although it should have been the most obvious and Tennis is an interesting too. Do you know anywhere that would take them or where i could contact, thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I'm pretty sure 5 is too young for any soccer teams tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Doffaldinho

Actually my 5 year old nephew is very very hyperactive so they put him on a football team, I'm not entirely sure of the details but I know its done him the world of good. Next time I see my sister I'll give an ask for you about the details :)

Also you should say it to the principal of the school and the teachers and if it keeps up then write a letter to the Kilkenny People paper, Thats the main reason the CBS Primary cracked down on bullying so much.

• Advertisement

Actually my 5 year old nephew is very very hyperactive so they put him on a football team, I'm not entirely sure of the details but I know its done him the world of good. Next time I see my sister I'll give an ask for you about the details :)

Also you should say it to the principal of the school and the teachers and if it keeps up then write a letter to the Kilkenny People paper, Thats the main reason the CBS Primary cracked down on bullying so much.

Thank you I would appreciate that very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scatty

my son started playing for O'Loughlin Geals hurling team when he was five, he made lots of friends that he went to school with and is still playing now he is nine O,Loughlins train sunday morning at their ground on hebron road ,under 6's 11.00 - 12.oo,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I have a five and six year old.
    On Saturdays 11:30 I take them to soccer. It finishes at 1:00. It'll be at Scanlon Park this Saturday, where the Watershed is. It's €3 each Saturday and €10 to register for the year, if they want to carry on after the first days trial.
    On Sundays I take them O'Loughlan Gaels hurling. It's indoor until the weather gets warmer. This is only €10 to register for the year. Starts 10:00 and finsihes 11:00.

If you need another info you can PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scatty

sorry !!! i got confused over the times ,kleefer is right under 6's train at 10 -11 am !!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Doffaldinho

That soccer kleefarr mentioned was what I was on about, Up in the Watershed. Hope all goes well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

My daughter was having a hard time at school at that age and a friend said try get her into karate and see how she likes it and boy was it the right thing to do she loved it and the hard time in school soon ended she is now 13 and is 1th dan black belt and hoping to get in with the Irish team very soon :D have a think about it when they get the suit on them you will see a big change .

Hi All, thanks you so so much for taking the time to recommend some activities for my little man, there is a great spectra of different ideas here and I will def. follow up on one if not two of them, thank you all again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Melted M&M

Karate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Melted M&M wrote: »
    Karate

Yes 空手 Why

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mini_Bar

There is a booklet called Kilkenny Kids which you should be able to get in any library branch. It is very useful as it lists all types of things that the kids can do with contact numbers etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Look into Beavers. Think it's beavers 6-8, but you could ask if he could get in at 5. Went to cubs/scouts/ventures myself and found it to be great fun.

The two groups in Kilkenny are:
    3rd Kilkenny (Graiguenamanagh)
    3rd Kilkenny (Thomastown)

Advertisement