Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help for a wanna be biker

• 08-03-2009 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

i would like to get into riding a bike but am complete novice, i did have an aprillia sr50 a couple of years ago but sold it to get a funds for a car. I was wondering what the process was to get a licence for a 125, do i have to take a course or can i just sit the theory test and then maybe look to getting a starter bike. andy info would be appreciated. Also what kind of bike would you recommend that would be cheap on insurance.

thanks in advance!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

fordy1208 wrote: »
    i would like to get into riding a bike but am complete novice, i did have an aprillia sr50 a couple of years ago but sold it to get a funds for a car. I was wondering what the process was to get a licence for a 125, do i have to take a course or can i just sit the theory test and then maybe look to getting a starter bike. andy info would be appreciated. Also what kind of bike would you recommend that would be cheap on insurance.

i just did the theory test so i presume thats all ya need to drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jimmyc06

theory test then your good to go. I started off on a Honda Varadero 125cc. Ideal beginners bike, I'm sell at the moment so if your interested pm me. My insurance was something like €400 first time first prov.

Do the theory test, get your learners permit and then get riding lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fordy1208

cheers for all your posts. might organise the sitting the theory test and then move on from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

do the theory test for the A licencse and get yourself a cbr250 grand little bike to start off on and has a bit of power in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

seanybiker wrote: »
    do the theory test for the A licencse and get yourself a cbr250 grand little bike to start off on and has a bit of power in it.
    The CBR 250 is not learner legal though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

would this kind of bike be legal for a begineer? (would be off road more than on it)
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Kawasaki-KDX200_W0QQitemZ160326266255QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycles?hash=item160326266255&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

it's a Kawasaki KDX200, 33bhp.. any other bikes of this type I should be looking at? don't want to spend a whole lot..

For first provisional should you apply for an A provisional? why are there 2 licence types?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭The Sheriffk

fordy1208 wrote: »

Do you theory test and then get something that doesnt have an R at the end
    of it as it will be dearer on insurance . you will get bored with a 125 in about a month .

i have a friend of mine has a Kawasaki EN 250 ( mid nineties ) cruiser type spotless doesnt use it , in a garage , looking for about 700 yoyos for it .

email me at niallk33@hotmail.com if you like ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Can you ride a 250cc on a learner permit??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

you use to be able to drive a honda bros 400 and i think some of the suzuki bandits.They might of changed the laws concerning provisional licences,been 2 years since i was on a bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

you can ride any bike on a learner permit as long as its not more than 33bhp

I know one lad that had a blackbird and had it restricted and did his test on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Can you ride a 250cc on a learner permit??
    You can drive any cc on an A learner permit, the only requirement is it must be <= 25kw(33Bhp) or 0.16kW/kg. All bikes can be restricted to meet this requirement.

@Lilliput69 bet me to it.

@drunkmonkey go for A if your over 18, A1 is for 16, 17 year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Cool, I might be starting work in Dublin next Sept and would rather get around on a bike than relying on public transport or trying to deal with traffic in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

The CBR 250 is not learner legal though...
    Ya can still get insured on it . Although its technically not learner legal it seems to be just ignored. Know plenty of
    people on provisionals that have em .

@lilli
    Please tell me your mate took out restrictors no his way home from test and burned them. That has to be the worse thing I ever heard. I know it can be done but why lol.

Advertisement