Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio

Options
  • 08-03-2009 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Quick question,
    when are they due =/

My instinct tells me around March 20th, but i can't find the exact date anywhere!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

The website says 'March' for the initial screening but, unless someone can give you a definitive answer in here, i'd recommend phoning the school office on Monday morning.

contact details here; http://www.iadt.ie/en/Tools/Contact/

(i'd have an answer myself but my tutors have been somewhat inaccessible of late)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Calling was my next step ;)

Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

My diary tells me it is week beginning 23rd March. But still best to ring. (have you got a letter yet? - I would have thought they had sent out letters by now)

Just checked the Academic calendar and it says week of 23rd too. So unless something has changed and they haven't told us then it's the week of the 23rd :-)

Yeah, i thought i'd get a letter by now too :(

Thanks though, that gives me exactly two weeks :eek:

• Advertisement

Yeah, i thought i'd get a letter by now too :(

Thanks though, that gives me exactly two weeks :eek:

Just checked - emails went out this morning (they can only send them out when they get the info from the CAO which was late last week).

Got it about 6 hours ago =]

Got it about 6 hours ago =]

@irishmonkey - what are you applying for?

Film & tv production.

Have only one completed film, so my portfolio is mainly comprised of photography. Need to get some scripts and story boards done up in the next week!

Film & tv production.

Have only one completed film, so my portfolio is mainly comprised of photography. Need to get some scripts and story boards done up in the next week!

Cool. Do some paperwork for the film - shot-list, budget, location lists etc. Also do a half page review of what you learned making the film and what you might do differently next time.

Remember to add a CV to the portfolio listing any work or hobby stuff that has anything to do with film or drama.

Good that you've got photography. Select two or three that you think are your strongest and single them out (maybe mount them well - if you can afford it).

Fingers crossed for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 -idioteque

Hey, I'm also applying for Film and Television Production.

For the CV do they expect personal details, education info, employment history just like a regular CV? Or just a summary of film related activites that you've been involved in?

I don't actually have an film work so I'm filling my portfolio with most of the other things on the list: photography, short stories, a short script, several paintings/drawings, storyboards and some music I've composed. Do you think I'm at a bit of a disadvantage because of the lack of film work?

I'm pretty anxious cos I seem to have left it all to the last minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Hannahlu

mine's 23rd too, i'm applying for Design for Stage, anyone else going for this?
    I left mine very late too and i've also no stage design experience except for transition year drama sets which i have no photos or anything of :-/

oh btw, is there a bus from the dun laoghaire dart station to iadt? or where does the city bus stop in DL? i havent a clue how to find it.

From Dun Laoghaire DART station, walk out the door and turn left. The 46A stops there and goes right to Bakers Corner (yellow pub) which is about a minutes walk from the front gates.

There's also the 75 from the DART station that goes right to the gates but doesn't come as often as the 46A.

mapmap.jpg

-idioteque wrote: »
    Hey, I'm also applying for Film and Television Production.

For the CV do they expect personal details, education info, employment history just like a regular CV? Or just a summary of film related activites that you've been involved in?

I don't actually have an film work so I'm filling my portfolio with most of the other things on the list: photography, short stories, a short script, several paintings/drawings, storyboards and some music I've composed. Do you think I'm at a bit of a disadvantage because of the lack of film work?

I'm pretty anxious cos I seem to have left it all to the last minute!

A bit of both is best. If you don't have film experience that is OK! Any drama experience? Any general group experience? Scouting, football club? Anything that shows you can be part of a team. Bulk it up with likes / dislikes.

Hannahlu wrote: »
    mine's 23rd too, i'm applying for Design for Stage, anyone else going for this?
    I left mine very late too and i've also no stage design experience except for transition year drama sets which i have no photos or anything of :-/

oh btw, is there a bus from the dun laoghaire dart station to iadt? or where does the city bus stop in DL? i havent a clue how to find it.

I don't work on that course but you wouldn't be expected to have tons of experience. The sets for transition year, can you remember them? Could you mock up a couple of drawings over the weekend? Make a note of what you were trying to achieve etc. Make a quick mood board... It's OK to recreate previous work (with hindsight it's even better).

Good luck to everyone submitting portfolios next week!! Remember one weekend left for a last push!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Hannahlu

yeah i was thinking of doing that, thanks alot for the advice btw, you're a great help. good luck to everyone too btw.

Good luck to the folks submitting portfolios this week.

Any questions, queries or panic-attacks... throw them in this thread.

I don't know how im goin to get my portfolio in =/

My french oral is that day, and my mam is in work.

Any way of getting a lift or catching public transport?

If no, give the college registry a ring in the morning. They should be able to put you in contact with someone relevant and if something can be done, they'll tell you.

• Advertisement

I don't know how im goin to get my portfolio in =/

My french oral is that day, and my mam is in work.

Call the college on + 353 1 239 4000 and ask to speak with Eoin in Admissions, let him know the problem and I'm sure he can change the day you're due so that it doesn't clash with your oral. The earlier you call him the more time it gives him to make arrangements.

atgate wrote: »
    Call the college on + 353 1 239 4000 and ask to speak with Eoin in Admissions, let him know the problem and I'm sure he can change the day you're due so that it doesn't clash with your oral. The earlier you call him the more time it gives him to make arrangements.

will do, thanks a mill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 heeereees-jonny

i know all the portfolios are all in and back...i'm lukin at mine at the mo...( all that wrk nd now its sittin collecting dust in my bedroom!!)

just wondering how do they correct them all on the 1 day?? i presume they photograph them or sumting??? just wonderin... (any hints how we did???)

oh! and is there many people applyin for the Film and Television degree who are goin in straight out of school? ie. they didnt take a year out to do their porfolio? im just wonderin cuz i havent met many 1's who are doin the portfolio and their leaving in the same year....

i know all the portfolios are all in and back...i'm lukin at mine at the mo...( all that wrk nd now its sittin collecting dust in my bedroom!!)

just wondering how do they correct them all on the 1 day?? i presume they photograph them or sumting??? just wonderin... (any hints how we did???)

As far as i know, for fine art, they browse them and shortlist the best and take notes for reference and then photograph the best of the rest and select from them.

Most of our tutors took part in the selection so shooting through a pile in a short time wouldn't be too difficult.

oh! and is there many people applyin for the Film and Television degree who are goin in straight out of school? ie. they didnt take a year out to do their porfolio? im just wonderin cuz i havent met many 1's who are doin the portfolio and their leaving in the same year....

I'm doin my LC and did my portfolio this year :)

can any1 tell me... is it a gud sign that i got an interview???? i applied for the film and television production course..... i dunno how to take the news???:confused:

can any1 tell me... is it a gud sign that i got an interview???? i applied for the film and television production course..... i dunno how to take the news???:confused:

Yes it's a good sign. Film & TV pretty much interview all the shortlist. Well done!

It's not a bad thing if that's what you mean.

Good job.

• Advertisement

atgate wrote: »
    Yes it's a good sign. Film & TV pretty much interview all the shortlist. Well done!

OMG!!!! woohoo!! dats class!

Advertisement