Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

Nice one! 600 like. I got 420 for the vis com course and I'm hella happy with that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

OMG!!! I got 600!!!! :O:O:O:O I luv IADT!
    Congratulations, that's a fantastic number to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 heeereees-jonny

awwh, thanks!! :D:D:D im in shock! neva expected anyting like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 -idioteque

Wow, well done on the 600! I got 500 myself (total shock!), and did my Leaving Cert last year...so unless the points skyrocket, I'll be seeing ye in September! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Well done everybody. I've always said Boardsies are just better (well I've never really said it before).

See yiz in Sept.

• Advertisement

-idioteque wrote: »
    Wow, well done on the 600! I got 500 myself (total shock!), and did my Leaving Cert last year...so unless the points skyrocket, I'll be seeing ye in September! :D:D:D

WOOHOO!! :D:D i still hav to do my leaving now in june, so its a huge weight off!! i'll need about 300 now... (but im still aiming for 530! i hav to beat my sister!! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Congrats, Johnny!
    I got 480 for Animation, which is pretty cool (80%!). Its actually suprising, considering my portolio wasn't as full as it could've been...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stavros440

Anybody know what the story is with direct entry applications now then?

I applied for film & TV....getting oh so nervous about it at this point coz it's taking so long....that and I applied for 1st year two years ago when I was initially starting college, and they turned me down!

(My portfolio changed a lot since then though...I've directed two plays, one of which I wrote, the other was Glen Garry Glen Ross. I've also learned how to make films, edit, animate, and well, everything you can expect from doing two years of Multimedia. I don't know if thats good enough for entry into second year...:confused:)

Anyway, this wait is freakin killin' me!!!! Is there anybody in the same boat here, or anybody with an idea as to when this wait is gonna bloody end?

stavros440 wrote: »
    Anybody know what the story is with direct entry applications now then?

Anyway, this wait is freakin killin' me!!!! Is there anybody in the same boat here, or anybody with an idea as to when this wait is gonna bloody end?

It should be literally any day now - it's actually a much more complicated system then the CAO one, Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Questions: Do the points you get in the LC factor in at all? Also, what subjects should I choose for in the LC? Was opting for TY a good idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

Hacx, I can answer the first part of your question. Yes the LC results are taken into account. The points for that course (and any course in the School of Creative Arts) are taken from a max possible of 1,200... that is you can achieve the highest mark of 600 in your portfolio and you can achieve the highest mark in the LC of 600, hence 1,200. Cannot remember what the point for Film were last year, let's say 900 - so if you get the points back from your portfolio assessment of 600 (good job!), then you know you have to hit at least 300 in your LC. The points do change every year but it's a good ballpark figure to work from the previous years marks (or better of course). Now, in your LC, you also have to achieve the minimum academic requirements of 3 honours in your LC within that 300 points you might have gotten.

The reason they release the portfolio points is so that you know what you've achieved in that part of the process, so you know how much you need to achieve in your LC part. They used not to release them and so it was even more of a guessing game/waiting torture for students in the past.

As to your choice of subject in school, not sure.. Atgate might know more than me on that one.

Best of luck - I think it's great you've got your mind so focused on things at this stage.

BTW anyone notice how many people on here are specifically talking about the Film & TV course.... wonder who's applying for all the other courses!!!!

*Honey* wrote: »

As to your choice of subject in school, not sure.. Atgate might know more than me on that one.

We don't really care... though Art would be a good one. And it's so long since I did my leaving cert I don't even know what TY is...

Deffo come along to the open days next year and try and get to the graduate exhibition (begins this week). Talk to the students and staff and get a feel for the place.

We'll also be at Higher Options so come along and meet us there.

Also, if any of you think there might be a fair amount of students interested in the type of courses we do in IADT say your school here (or PM me the school and the name of the Career Guidance person) and we'll see if we can sort out a school visit (by that I mean I'll pass the info on to the person who organises visits).

If there's a few people in your school interested in Film & Television specifically again let me now and I'll and maybe we can sort out something with your school for a film & TV specific visit (what am I letting myself in for?).

Oh and *Honey* they're into film & tv because they're the most discerning, intelligent and talented boardsies! :D

atgate wrote: »
    they're into film & tv because they're the most discerning, intelligent and talented boardsies! :D

well said atgate! :D:D

I just did my portfolio and I got 600.... Im doing art for the leaving cert and it did help when i was doing my portfolio... but other than that i'm not sure...( like I'm doin physics, economics, german, and applied maths! they didint realli help matters!).... oh, but i would say its good to have honours english aswell... it helped when i was doin my screenwriting/ short story stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

atgate wrote: »
    I don't even know what TY is...

TY is transition year, It happens after the junior cert. Sort of a training/work experience year. I think I may get to make a film.
    Don't think I could make it for an open day, I'm all the way down in kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

Loads of schools from all over the country visit Hacx, ask your Guidance Counsellor s/he could organise a trip up for a group of your year together (maybe along with 5th and 6th years too). I'm sure there'd be at least 20 that maybe interested and you could all chip in for travel etc. It's a great opportunity to speak to the staff on the course (and remember, they're the ones who'll be assessing your portfolio so you couldn't get more from the horse's mouth [so to speak] if you tried) and the students who've all been through the process and can give you tons of advice. It'd be a wasted chance if you didn't at least try to organise something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tralaalaalaa

I'm going into 6th Year in September and am starting work on my portfolio this summer. I'm hoping to do Film/Television production. I'm just wondering, how exactly do they mark your porfolio?!
    I know the sort of stuff that should be included it's just the points system on the portfolio that confuses me because I know everyones will be very different so there can't be a set marking scheme!?
    Another question I have is in relation to a film you might put into said portfolio. Are they looking for the technique (lighting, camera angles... and other such things) or is it more the imagination, enthusiasm? After all, isn't that why people go to film school, to learn all the techniques and what not?!?
    I'd appreciate any help, I'm feeling slightly in over my head at the moment.......:eek:

Thank you!!

I'm going into 6th Year in September and am starting work on my portfolio this summer. I'm hoping to do Film/Television production. I'm just wondering, how exactly do they mark your porfolio?!
    I know the sort of stuff that should be included it's just the points system on the portfolio that confuses me because I know everyones will be very different so there can't be a set marking scheme!?
    Another question I have is in relation to a film you might put into said portfolio. Are they looking for the technique (lighting, camera angles... and other such things) or is it more the imagination, enthusiasm? After all, isn't that why people go to film school, to learn all the techniques and what not?!?
    I'd appreciate any help, I'm feeling slightly in over my head at the moment.......:eek:

Thank you!!

First thing Tralaalaalaa - Don't feel in over your head!

Usually the panel are looking for a clear interest, potential, a good eye, interesting ideas, critical awareness etc. Not how good the camera you've used etc. There is a marking scheme but I can't remember the headings now (and I'm not sure if I could say them here as it might give an unfair advantage).

Best advice:
    1) Start your portfolio today (if you haven't already) - get writing those scripts, start a few photography projects, plan a short film shoot (even it's on a cameraphone) etc. Do it now - don't wait till you're back at school coz you'll get too busy with the LC year.
    2) Come to the open day in the Autumn or visit us at the Higher Options event.

And don't stress - you'll have plenty of that next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cookies4

I'm also going into 6th year in september and would really hope to get into the film production course in IADT next year. I'm still a little confused about the portfolio for this course and what is required
    I did a film making course with the digital film school last summer and am doing another one this summer. I'm also writing a book, I have some films made from junior school, I write scripts - do I put all these in? Do I put all these into a folder or what?
    Also, what kind of camcorder would be good for a beginner?
    I went to the graduate exhibition last week and I'm really fired up now!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zeroonetwothree

Hi guys! I'm going into 6th year in September too xD And I'm kinda got started on my aniimation portfolio... I'm attending the preparation course in IATD on Monday so I want to see what they say before I really get started.

I just want to ask, what are they really looking for in an animation portfolio? And what kinda style of the storyboard are they looking for?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Hats_Off

In regards to a photography portfolio should the contents ideally be a broad spectrum of genres within photography? or catered specifically to the persons style and preference??

Like for example I know that when a professional photographer takes his/her book out to a potential client there has to be a clearly definable style present and more than often that not, concentrating on just one genre.
    I also know not all of the students going in to the course will know what type of photographer they want to be but for the one's that do...

Are you safer sticking to what you know you want to do i.e. fashion photography or for the sake of the portfolio dabbling in different areas, like Landscape?

• Advertisement

Hi guys! I'm going into 6th year in September too xD And I'm kinda got started on my aniimation portfolio... I'm attending the preparation course in IATD on Monday so I want to see what they say before I really get started.

I just want to ask, what are they really looking for in an animation portfolio? And what kinda style of the storyboard are they looking for?

Thanks!
    Hats_Off wrote: »
    In regards to a photography portfolio should the contents ideally be a broad spectrum of genres within photography? or catered specifically to the persons style and preference??

Like for example I know that when a professional photographer takes his/her book out to a potential client there has to be a clearly definable style present and more than often that not, concentrating on just one genre.
    I also know not all of the students going in to the course will know what type of photographer they want to be but for the one's that do...

Are you safer sticking to what you know you want to do i.e. fashion photography or for the sake of the portfolio dabbling in different areas, like Landscape?

Guys

Film & TV is my area. I don't think any of the animation or photography lecturers are boardises so for now check out the pages on www.iadt.ie

Lecturers will be back on Sept 1st and you could email them at that stage with specific questions (PM me and I'll get you their email addresses).

But also I'd always recommend attending the open days that will be happening next term - you get to meet staff and students and ask as many questions as you like.

Advertisement