Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta Sports

• 08-03-2009 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Don't know if there's already a thread on this but I felt it was about time to give these guys a bit of a slagging. Poor picture quality, poor analysis on matches and their news team is full of mistakes.

Constant spelling mistakes, constantly repeating the same **** on the bar at the top of the screen like "Rangers draw Sportling in UEFA Cup", "Gretna to play against Aberdeen", "Sporting Lisbon play Rangers in UEFA Cup".

It's like they've got two or three people updating it who are in no contact with each other so they all add the same thing.

I remember two things in particular last season: :D
    "Nathan Ellington looking to play for Bosnia and Herzagovina" which is an interesting story. How the **** can an Englishman with a West Indian background play for Bosnia? Do we get an explanation? No. It just says "Nathan Ellington: I love Bosnia and Herzegovina"

Always have birds that know nothing about sport presenting: :D
    "Sporting Lisbon win 1-0 tonight, and Bolton go out courtesy of the away goals rule, 2-1 on aggregate. Oh, no hold on that's not right. 2-1 on aggregate which means away goals don't count, doesn't it?..... Bolton are out." Guy sitting next to her was trying to stifle his laughter and look down her top at the same time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

the setanta soccer coverage is average but the rest of the sports they do are covered very well.

Pat Dolan is always good for a laugh.Should put him and Dunphy and let them discuss Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Yeah it's comical. My favourite was him and Kerr doing the Everton - Nurnberg game last year. Kerr trying to say Anichebe. It went from 'Antichebe' to 'Cheba' to 'Young Victor' haha, as if he knew him well like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

PQ indeed can be shocking on a big screen. Pre match discussion I couldn't give a **** about as I very rarely watch that on any channel. Half time ditto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Whoaaa there horsey.
    I only ever watch Setanta for the LFC matches, but they have a lot of them so I'm happy. And I've never been unhappy with the quality.

And sure Special 1 TV blows everything else on the aul' box outta the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fucking Dolan :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

I just cant stand Tim Sherwood!!

I hate that whole 'Macca' thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Seeing as Setanta missed their first payment to the PL under the new TV deal, and are making an awful lot of noise about the PL rights rewards as being 'unfair'(despite offering less money then last time). I would hazard a guess that Setanta is not long for this world. At least in its current guise anyway.

If there are any new investors/owners into the channel i would guess it'll surely be a case of chow er ciao to Dolan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Seeing as Setanta missed their first payment to the PL under the new TV deal, and are making an awful lot of noise about the PL rights rewards as being 'unfair'(despite offering less money then last time). I would hazard a guess that Setanta is not long for this world. At least in its current guise anyway.

If there are any new investors/owners into the channel i would guess it'll surely be a case of chow er ciao to Dolan.

They missed their FA Cup payment alledgadly, not the PL one.

They can work if they downsize and pick up other sports.

ESPN will buy them I reckon once the ruling on Sky TV comes in from Ofcom.

• Advertisement

themont85 wrote: »
    They missed their FA Cup payment alledgadly, not the PL one.

They can work if they downsize and pick up other sports.

ESPN will buy them I reckon once the ruling on Sky TV comes in from Ofcom.

Ah right very good it was the FA Cup payment. Don't think Setanta will survive by picking up rights for niche sports, its the PL where the money is at. I hope Ofcom do rule in favour in Setanta, but seeing as they bid less then last time for the same rights is an indication that they are struggling so i doubt they have a leg to stand on. And it was assumed ESPN were going to bid for them, but are probably now waiting for Setanta to go into financial trouble before buying on the cheap. Vulture capitalism its a beautiful thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Just canceled my sub for them. Paying €22 pm, and not even getting the channels on my multiroom box is taking the piss considering 90% of their matches are Liverpool/United, the picture quality is absolutely ****, and the fact that their analysis/commentary team is made up of the likes of Craig Burley, Lou Macari, Tim Sherwood, Andy Cole, Fat Dolan, I could go on.

Gonna use the money I save to switch over to Sky HD.

I cannot see Setanta being around in 3 or so years times.

The only thing I would actually pay to watch on that channel is football matters with Jimbo Richardson, but even that has been suffering lately with it's bloated panel of Graham Poll and friends.

'The box' ftw Charlie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I wouldnt miss Setanta,but its very bad for 1 company to have the rights

but its Setanta's own fault anyway

btw bloody miss the days when rte had some EPL matches :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I just watched the Aresnal v Burnly (3-0) match on Setanta (uk) .Superb commentry and now watching the Everton v Middleborough game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

to be honest the only reason i got setanta in the first place was for NASN (now ESPN america)

Pardon the Interruption at half 11 week nights is worth the price of subscription alone

the biggest problem I have with setanta is when it rains, even a tiny bit, setanta sports 1 comes up as "no satellite signal being received", despite the fact that EVERY other channel (including setanta ireland and espn) work perfectly. annoys the living sh!te out of me, couldnt watch the arsenal game today

does that happen to anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Roar wrote: »
    to be honest the only reason i got setanta in the first place was for NASN (now ESPN america)

Pardon the Interruption at half 11 week nights is worth the price of subscription alone

the biggest problem I have with setanta is when it rains, even a tiny bit, setanta sports 1 comes up as "no satellite signal being received", despite the fact that EVERY other channel (including setanta ireland and espn) work perfectly. annoys the living sh!te out of me, couldnt watch the arsenal game today

Your dish needs to be realligned. See the thread on the satellite board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

thanks mossy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Pat Dolan is an idiot.
    He goes out of his way to make the most sensationalist remarks he can in order to cause a bit of controversy and get a bit more attention.

He's a failed version of a WUM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

'The box' ftw Charlie.

The box don't do HD or more importantly, Sky+. Also, ever see a dodgy box hooked up to a 40+ inch TV? It looks Youtube like.

I am happy to pay my subs as it stands, but at present, Setanta is very poor value for money for our house. This is only compounded by the aforementioned shoddy production values.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I have been told by some in the know over on the satellite forum that most of Setanta's crew is run by students as cheap labour and hence the mediocre presentation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

There's only one thing i really don't like about setanta and that is the hour long ad build up to the matches they show.

I watched the hull spurs match on setanta and didn't know what time it started at but preumed it'd be a half hour after coverage starts oh how i was wrong. An hour long build up i was ready to go to bed before the match even kicked off out of boredom

There's only one thing i really don't like about setanta and that is the hour long ad build up to the matches they show.

I watched the hull spurs match on setanta and didn't know what time it started at but preumed it'd be a half hour after coverage starts oh how i was wrong. An hour long build up i was ready to go to bed before the match even kicked off out of boredom

Sky used to be guilty of that themselves but tonned it down in recent years.

Setanta have a really poor timeslot for their games on a Saturday at 5.15 with the rest of them all over the shop. 5.15 is good for us but why would somebody who travels in England to your average 3pm game subscribe to games they will only see half off.

I don't like to begrudge setanta cos its a Irish company taking on the might of Murdoch Media but imo they made some fatal mistakes from going as a miniscule player in the UK to a medium sized one too quickly without building up a portfolio of different sports, they banked on the PL too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Special1tv should kill off any entertainment that is involved with the channel. God I hate Rosenstock :mad:

themont85 wrote: »

I don't like to begrudge setanta cos its a Irish company taking on the might of Murdoch Media but imo they made some fatal mistakes from going as a miniscule player in the UK to a medium sized one too quickly without building up a portfolio of different sports, they banked on the PL too much.

Think its the opposite tbh, They lost out on the second PL package this time round by undercutting the price they agreed for the same package in the previous deal by something like £17m. Beyond UFC i'm not sure are Setanta making much money on anything else they've signed up?

Think its the opposite tbh, They lost out on the second PL package this time round by undercutting the price they agreed for the same package in the previous deal by something like £17m. Beyond UFC i'm not sure are Setanta making much money on anything else they've signed up?

They haven't been getting enough subscribers with the 2 EPL packages they have currently. They paid too much for the packages they had and couldn't afford to pay the same, thats why they undercut, they didn't think Sky would realistically bid for them because that package is a loss maker for Sky.

They just bought some rugby rights for the UK, a little bit of cricket but they don't have enough currently to encourage me to subscribe to them for a couple of average mid table versus Man Utd/Liverpool games a week. Those rights aren't nearly as expensive as the EPL rights either.

Fair enough, it seemed to me Setantas owners were hoping they would be bought out before the renewal of rights came about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Charlie wrote: »
    Paying €22 pm, and not even getting the channels on my multiroom box is taking the piss

+1 :mad:

Don't like the actual match coverage particularly Craig Burley but I do like the Friday night Football show with James Richardson and Football Matters on a Monday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Voltwad wrote: »

I remember two things in particular last season: :D
    "Nathan Ellington looking to play for Bosnia and Herzagovina" which is an interesting story. How the **** can an Englishman with a West Indian background play for Bosnia? Do we get an explanation? No. It just says "Nathan Ellington: I love Bosnia and Herzegovina"

Off topic I know, but his wife;s Bosnian, and he might be entitled to citizenship.

Then again with Vedad Ibisevic and one or two other decent strikers I can;t see them falling over themselves for Ellington.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mousey007

Not a fan of Dolan but would watch him over Redknapp any day! Why is he still on TV?????
    Watched FA Cup at weekend and thinkc overage is grand and bit of the golf 2, only coz wanted to c how McIlroy wud do.
    Arsenal and Chelsea game on this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

They do a decent LoI news section on their website, even though the default screen puts you in the UK (cough) and serves up the EPL table.

I hope Ofcom do rule in favour in Setanta, ... Vulture capitalism its a beautiful thing.
    You should write to your MP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Roar wrote: »

Yep. And I had my satellite moved when I got HD in. Still the same.

SectionF wrote: »
    You should write to your MP.

Explain your logic behind this quip and your creative editing, what prejudice do you hold forth this time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

They broadcast the build up to everyone, non subscribers included, then cut you off before the match starts. It's basically an hour long ad for setanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

They broadcast the build up to everyone, non subscribers included, then cut you off before the match starts. It's basically an hour long ad for setanta.

I wondered why they kept putting up that press the red button or call us at blah blah balh. Still a serious pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

I can't wait till' they go under...........then the really hot bird that does Setanta news can move over to SKY and they'll sex her up for SSN!!!

Explain your logic behind this quip and your creative editing, what prejudice do you hold forth this time?
    I don't think the logic of the quip needs explaining, do you?
    Are you suggesting by calling it 'creative' that the quote dishonestly misrepresents your position? Are they not your words?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Setanta's MO was to buy the rights to football (international, premiership, FA cup etc) then be bought by a bigger fish like ESPN. They did not necessarily have to get many subscriptions as the rights were their biggest asset

This would allow ESPN to get into the British market with having to wait for, and bid in, the next bidding season.

The problem for Setanta is that ESPN are no longer interested in getting involved because of the world economic situation and Setanta are left with rights to pay for and feck all subscribers to pay for them.

If I recall ESPN were interested in buying Setanta last year buy the price was too low for Setantas liking, I’d say they wished they had sold it then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The problem for Setanta is that ESPN are no longer interested in getting involved because of the world economic situation and Setanta are left with rights to pay for and feck all subscribers to pay for them.
    In fairness they have about 1.5m subscribers in the UK.

Sky Sports had 5m subscribers in 2007 in the UK and Ireland. I would have thought Setanta would be happy with the amount of subscribers they have.

Isn't there also millions that get Setanta for free in the UK (and with NTL here)? They're obviously making something from that too.

SectionF wrote: »
    I don't think the logic of the quip needs explaining, do you?
    Are you suggesting by calling it 'creative' that the quote dishonestly misrepresents your position? Are they not your words?

No explain for me your logic,i don't understand, what posessed you to write
    You should write to your MP

When i expressed my hope that an Irish based company receives a positive ruling in its complaint with a regulator?

And why the editing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Their football punditry team is generally ****e, but you can't beat the dream team of Macca and Les!

They do show all the UFC events live though so I love Setanta Sports.

Their golf coverage is good too.

Their football punditry team is generally ****e, but you can't beat the dream team of Macca and Les!

Macca :eek: drives me mad,like Sir Les though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Macca :eek: drives me mad,like Sir Les though.

It's hilarious watching them though.

Macca is so laid back and Les is the serious one, but occasionally he breaks character and makes a joke that only he laughs at.

Special 1 TV is great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Pat Dolan, he really tries to make sensational remarks and gets incredibly hyper, and then towards the end when he is asked another question, his voice drops, talks really softly and says "Listen, ......" and then repeats the point he just made while shouting 2 seconds earlier. Its like he is some kid coming down off a sugar rush. His points are usually incredibly incoherent at the best of times. This is probably why nobody ever gave him the chance to manage in England, at some level.

I don't like Tim Sherwood either. He comes across as too much of a slick arrogant git.

Sir Les is ok, McManaman is poor, but one step ahead of Sherwood, and two ahead of Dolan.

I love Dolan's "will they be able to........ I don't think they will"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Their coverage is a shambles...

I wonder sometimes if Tim Sherwood actually ever played the game of football. Some of the stuff he comes out with is laughable at times...

In fairness though, I do think they have the best pundit I've seen in a long time in Brian Little... The man talks sense. Strange for a pundit, they usually talk rubbish most of the time ;)

Advertisement