Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park traffic

Options
  • 08-03-2009 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭

I come from Lucan village and have to get to Cabra (Bannow Rd.) in the mornings.
    Looking at the map I see I could enter the Phoenix Park at the Junction and Gate near the Anglers rest Pub and exit somwhere south of the Nephin Rd on Blackhorse Avenue.
    At the moment the traffic in Castleknock is a niusance and I want to avoid the place as the people pull out in front of you at the drop of a hat and its too dangerous at 7.30 in the morning. Also the junction and Speed bumps on Blackhorse avenue are way too dangerous for my liking as someone will be up my rear as I try to take them slowly to avoid damage.( Jap car, tight suspension, feel every bump in the road.)
    Are there any speed bumps on the North rd.(parallel to but inside the wall of the phoenix park?
    Is there any lights or one-way restrictions etc on the Gates into or out of the park?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Not sure about the gate on blackhorse avenue, but there are indeed plenty of speed bumps on the road inside the park that runs parallel to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

There are speed bumps on the North Road but they're not as severe as the ones on Blackhorse Avenue and the road is wider and in better condition. However getting out of the gates from the North Road can be tough when it's busy and with Blackhorse Ave getting heavier by the day it's not getting any easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Would you consider getting the train? Leixlip to Broombridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

doolox wrote: »
    I come from Lucan village and have to get to Cabra (Bannow Rd.) in the mornings.
    Looking at the map I see I could enter the Phoenix Park at the Junction and Gate near the Anglers rest Pub and exit somwhere south of the Nephin Rd on Blackhorse Avenue.
    At the moment the traffic in Castleknock is a niusance and I want to avoid the place as the people pull out in front of you at the drop of a hat and its too dangerous at 7.30 in the morning. Also the junction and Speed bumps on Blackhorse avenue are way too dangerous for my liking as someone will be up my rear as I try to take them slowly to avoid damage.( Jap car, tight suspension, feel every bump in the road.)
    Are there any speed bumps on the North rd.(parallel to but inside the wall of the phoenix park?
    Is there any lights or one-way restrictions etc on the Gates into or out of the park?

There are restrictions on some gates, some are exit/entry only but I think the two you mentioned you can come in or out of.
    Just to let you know, the gate at Ashtown which leads onto Castleknock Rd/Blackhorse Ave can be nothing short of a nightmare to get in and out of, and sometimes just dangerous with 3 roads merging. The queue to get out of the gate that leads out to Blackhorse Ave just up from the Garda Depot can be pretty bad too, there's often a stream of cars along the road waiting to get out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I am using my new route for two weeks now and no problems.
    As I was told the gates can be a bit of a problem but I leave Lucan at 7.30 and get to FAS at 8.10 for an 8.30 start...not bad.
    If I leave it any later I end up taking much longer to get there and it isn't worth the hassle.
    Park is much mor relaxing than driving through Castleknock or the Navan carpark(road???).
    Exiting the gate opposite the Nephin road is fun, you have to realise there is an axle-breaker of a speed-bump on the Blackhorse avenue and the traffic coming from your left haven't a hope of hitting you when you emerge from the Gate.
    They will be too busy saving their axles from destruction to bother with you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement