Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Question

Options
  • 08-03-2009 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Anybody sure on what is likely to come up under physical and regional this year?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I've a feeling nobody could be sure tbh...

Just learn everything. Yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Waterfalls would be a good bet, as questions comes up on landform developments every year.:D

If you don't have a landform development feature learned off, like a waterfall or whatever, you're a joke of a Geography student!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Our teacher thinks coastal erosion and deposition is a fairly safe bet

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

bythewoods wrote: »
    If you don't have a landform development feature learned off, like a waterfall or whatever, you're a joke of a Geography student!
    unless sea stack counts i qualify:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

coastal erosion and deposition eh? sweet

unless sea stack counts i qualify:(

Yeah, you have cave/arch/stack and stump.. that's a landform development feature.

Make sure you've an answer memorised with ~15 SRPs, a diagram & an example.

You are given a choice between coasts, rivers and glaciers anyway.. You only have to learn the formation of one (maybe 2 for safety) features and a general overview of the rest (very general).
    They can't ask you a 30marker on a specific feature, it's really quite simple...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I don't have the exam papers on me at the moment but I remember spending ages going through the past ones, and they're pretty predictable. The same stuff comes up again and again the problem is you could be able to do an A and B part perfectly from one question but not the C. If we could mix and match I'd def get an A1 ;)

However, on the regions, I have found that one Question comes up constantly:

A - IRISH REGIONS - draw a map of Ireland, outline one area (eg GDA), draw a physical landform (wicklow mountains/river liffey) etc.

-easy 20 marks even though I'm awful at drawing maps. Just practice.

B - EU - something about the EU came up about half the time with this question, and then something else came up the other half (can't remember check your papers).

C - REGION ESSAY - Usually tertiary/european (Mezzogiorno or Paris Basin for example) or else Continental/Subcontinental (India)

I know it's not guarenteed but I would be surprised if a similar layout isn't done this year for that regions questions. My mocks were exactly that aswell.

You can kinda do this for other sections too, although it's harder to find patterns in the pairing up of say LANDFORM DEVELOPMENT (always do the waterfall :) ) and HUMAN INTERACTION. Although those two topics usually come up, for example, they do not always come up in the same question.

Anyway, hope I helped. I just got my mock result - A2 and didn't do a tap. Believe me, if you don't know the stuff WAFFLE, WAFFLE, WAFFLE. I got 15 marks for a question on EU explansion which we hadn't done yet. Why? Waffled about the founding of the EU, Treaty of Lisbon etc. and stuck in key words, rephrasing the question.

Advertisement