Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Granite Window Cills

• 08-03-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have just come back from Laois visiting a supplier for stone and cills. We fell in love with granite over the limestone for the cills.

The real question is: does the granite ( grey ) discolour and if so how easy it is to clean and how often does this have to be done.

There is also two different types of granite cill. Rock finished ( very rough ) and Bush Hammered. We love the Rock finish but still are wondering is it a dirt collector.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

wardwil wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have just come back from Laois visiting a supplier for stone and cills. We fell in love with granite over the limestone for the cills.

The real question is: does the granite ( grey ) discolour and if so how easy it is to clean and how often does this have to be done.

There is also two different types of granite cill. Rock finished ( very rough ) and Bush Hammered. We love the Rock finish but still are wondering is it a dirt collector.
    IMO, as a general comment, they wont stain any more than any other sills: it is a fn of the environment that they are located.

However, as you are no doubt aware there are 3 main kinds of 'granite' sill sold in Ireland.

The first is native Irish granite.
    The second is imported granite
    the third is sills made from granite 'dust' aka reconstituted

Just make sure u know what you are getting as I have seen the following:
    • show u native Irish, deliver imported.
    • show u bush hammered or other smooth finish, deliver reconstituted.
    Native Irish, such as what comes from near Mount Leinster is usually the most expensive by a multiple

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭wardwil

Thanks for that Carlow52,

I thought as much myself.

Are all the cills made from this granite dust? I thougth by looking at them they were a mix of granite with cement or something.

Do you have granite in yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Thanks for that Carlow52,

I thought as much myself.

Are all the cills made from this granite dust? I thougth by looking at them they were a mix of granite with cement or something.

Do you have granite in yourself?

No I dont, I am from Carlow near Mt Leinster which has some of the finest granite in the world:) so dust is of no interest to me. Chinese granite has killed the local stuff

However I have a client who lives on a main road and the discoluration of her dust cills is pretty bad, due am told to fumes from traffic but I cant vouch for that as a reason.

Keep well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eastcoast

could you please pm me the name of the stone seller in laois
    Hi All,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Folks

Irish granite is very expensive <snip> has a show house - its the real deal

Edit: do not refer to any specific producer / supplier. Keep recommendations to PMs only...
    Syd

Chinese granite is very soft it absorbs the water and the brown granite changes colour or weeps so it stains the cill. Cant remember exactly what he said about it. There could be a 3 month delay in sourcing because they mighnt have it in stock though Manor Stone may have it

Indian granite is harder and handchiselled - there is no delay in getting it in Camolin Wexford.

Irish €4800 Chinese €1900 Indian €1800

I bought the Indian

Lightning

• Advertisement
Advertisement