Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurbishing an old Air rifle

Options
  • 08-03-2009 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

I have an old Relum? .22 air rifle that I was bought when I was eighteen. It got quite a bit of use target shooting for a few years, but has been in the loft for quite a while now. I have checked it and it seems fine, but there is rust on the outside of the barrel and also on the rifle on the inside.

Would it be easy enough to get it refurbished?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Depends on how extensive the rust damage is. On the outside, it's usually just cosmetic. On the inside... the magic words apply ("it depends"). Oh, and you'll probably want to replace the seals if it's been idle that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

I Havent heard of a relum, check on your licence, it should have the full name and serial number on it. its possible it might be BSA?
    If it has been idle for a few years, i would be careful in case the main spring and trigger sear could be damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:) Relum Tornado.Underlever air rifle made in Hungary. Not bad quality in its day. Old airguns are remarkably tough, just rub away the surface rust with paraffin or WD40 and steel wool.Strip the internals and clean + lube. Its probably got a leather washer which can be rejuvinated with Neatsfoot oil ( or a few drops of 3:1.)
    See www.airgunbbs.co.uk for lots of info.

Advertisement