Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JBL invests in OVW

• 08-03-2009 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

http://fans.wwe.com/jbl/blog/2009/03/07/ovw
    I am the sponsor of OVW, it is true. Danny Davis is my good friend and I hate to see anyone lose their dream. Danny has mortgaged his home to make this work; I mortgaged my home for Layfield Energy. I understand passion, I understand love. I believe in the American spirit, I believe that if you want to achieve, you can.

My company is doing well, and I can promise you I don't take one account or one customer for granted. I am going to sponsor what Danny is doing. It will be much more than just wrestling. Trust me; we are going to do some really cool things. This will unfold in the next few months, I have big plans for what we are doing.

But for now, I am funding all of OVW, because I believe in what they are doing. One day I will tell all, but for now, I will say that I am doing what is right.

I started in places like OVW; these places have to be protected. These places are sacred, and I don't do this for nostalgia, I do it as a business decision. This is not just my BS plan to give back; I have a plan-believe me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I read about this last week. He was meant to wrestle for them last year but WWE hadn't licensed him in Ohio or something like that. So he promised that he'd come back and help them out sometime

OVW lost their tv in Louisville a short while back. And just recently they got the tv spot back, right at the same time as Layfield Energy became their main sponsor. They could have gone out of business if it weren't for JBL

OVW definitely seems to be a better set up than FCW that WWE are using now for developmental. Dropping OVW is one of WWE's worse decisions in recent times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Had heard this one the an F4W show. Really shows the other side of JBL. One bullies new wrestlers while the other supports a whole school. Confusing man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Had heard this one the an F4W show. Really shows the other side of JBL. One bullies new wrestlers while the other supports a whole school. Confusing man

An enigma if ever i've seen one! This is great news for the future of independant wrestling in the states; if OVW had gone down, it would have been a bad omen for other promotions.

Why exactly WWE ended its deal with OVW, i don't know? The rumour at the time is that Johnny Ace wanted to spend him time in Florida partying whenever he could so he suggested FCW. I remember reading at the time that Booker T was livid that his established Houston school got overlooked for a new start up school. My question is what was wrong with just keeping OVW? It worked well for them in the past!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

An OVW invasion at Wrestlemania?

Why exactly WWE ended its deal with OVW, i don't know? The rumour at the time is that Johnny Ace wanted to spend him time in Florida partying whenever he could so he suggested FCW. I remember reading at the time that Booker T was livid that his established Houston school got overlooked for a new start up school. My question is what was wrong with just keeping OVW? It worked well for them in the past!

One of the reasons given was that because so many of the WWE talent live in Florida it would make it far easier for them to make appearances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Bubs101 wrote: »
    One of the reasons given was that because so many of the WWE talent live in Florida it would make it far easier for them to make appearances

As well as some higher ups. By all accounts though, the quality of training and trainees just isn't the same as it used to be

I don't watch it but it's difficult to say if they have the right raw materials. Like Lesnar, Batista, Cena would have thrived anywhere. Swagger looks like the real deal though. long term potential

Advertisement