Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling!

Options
  • 08-03-2009 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

We are just back from a hurling match..... our first!! It was really exciting - especially when the lightening started, not to mention the hailstones!
    I was very surprised about the lack of support, I think there were 15 people tops there, including us.

Why do you think there isn't that much support for hurling here? Our wee man has turned into a hurling player now :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Sligo isn't a hurling county really at all thats the main reason sligo town would be even more football then gaelic football.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

Sligo isnt a gaa county at all, blame rovers! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

What hurling match were you at Mrs.T?

Sligo did win the Rickard cup or something along those lines but I get the feeling that's the Best of the worst kind of trophy,still though we won it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Mrs.T wrote: »
    We are just back from a hurling match..... our first!! It was really exciting - especially when the lightening started, not to mention the hailstones!
    I was very surprised about the lack of support, I think there were 15 people tops there, including us.

Why do you think there isn't that much support for hurling here? Our wee man has turned into a hurling player now :D

hurling is only really strong in the southern part of the country
    It is strong down their because that was were the big farm houses with vast lands were

The landlords got their workers/tenants to play hurling against other landlords teams.

Not big farm house's up here mostly due to the s**t farmland
    so it never caught on
    (Scots settlers probably brought it with them:eek::rolleyes::D) (shinty :eek:)

ps. Once you get used to hurling you will realise that even though it is the fastest and possibly the most skillfull game in the world, it is in fact a pile of steaming bullplop:eek:

pps. The first time your kid gets a ball, hurl, elbow in the face, you might not like hurling as much (all 3 hurt btw)

ppps. Gaa football is basically hurling with a big ball and no stick, it was invented because the Gaa were scarred of losing players to the "english game"
    apparently they used to call gaa football hurling for p**fs :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

elshambo wrote: »
    (Scots settlers probably brought it with them:eek::rolleyes::D) (shinty :eek:)

That's maybe why I loved it so much! I was watching a bit of home.....

pps. The first time your kid gets a ball, hurl, elbow in the face, you might not like hurling as much (all 3 hurt btw)

I already decided that either the wee man wasn't getting to play when he was older or I just won't go and watch... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

elshambo wrote: »
    ps. Once you get used to hurling you will realise that even though it is the fastest and possibly the most skillfull game in the world, it is in fact a pile of steaming bullplop:eek:

What a load of rubbish

1. How can you call the game fast and skillfull in one breath and a pile of sh1t in another, make up your mind

2. I have played all the four main sports, hurling,football,soccer and rugby and i have always found hurling to be the safest by a mile, if you don't want your kid to get a belt, wrap them up in cotton wool and lock them into a room with a playstation.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Cork4ever wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish

1. How can you call the game fast and skillfull in one breath and a pile of sh1t in another, make up your mind

2. I have played all the four main sports, hurling,football,soccer and rugby and i have always found hurling to be the safest by a mile, if you don't want your kid to get a belt, wrap them up in cotton wool and lock them into a room with a playstation.....

It was a joke! :D:D:D Our boy gets a split lip at least once a month (Saturday being the last time) through boisterous behaviour so I'm not really going to start wrapping him in cotton wool. And anyway he'll have to wait his turn for Playstation because, we'll be playing! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Cork4ever wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish

Well said , I was going to reply and had to delete my post and walk away in fear of a banning. The county board are starting to do a good job to promote Gaelic Games from a young age in Sligo. Next year will be great to see the competition taken out of all u12 GAA. Kids are getting a chance to try Hurling in the schools so hopefully they can get more clubs introducing Hurling. I was at a coaching camp recently and at last the GAA have a good structure to train and encourage coaches form all levels in both football and hurling.

But back to the question of the game last weekend... It was bloody cold and horrible out , the Rovers had a small gate about 1000 short on expected and I for one didnt travel to Ballyshannon to see Donegal play due to the weather. But we did get the u12s out training Sunday morning in the snow they were delighted.

Advertisement