Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question Thread - Got a question? Ask here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Hey everybody - just wondering about prices of tattoos. I'm looking to get something on my back/ribs/side like this -

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tLsyi8nme4I/Sn2TYT9UDcI/AAAAAAAAA3A/6EHlceN4fXc/s400/Tribal+Tattoo.jpg

or

http://i42.tinypic.com/11tvn9x.jpg

Any idea of pricing?
    I know it would depend on an artist but a rough idea?
    how do they price it , is it by time spent on it or what?

( please don't turn this into a rant, i'm willing to pay the amount for a well-done tattoo and wouldn't get it cheap for the sake of spending less money, I'm trying to research )

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭porte

rizzee wrote: »
    Hey everybody - just wondering about prices of tattoos. I'm looking to get something on my back/ribs/side like this -

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tLsyi8nme4I/Sn2TYT9UDcI/AAAAAAAAA3A/6EHlceN4fXc/s400/Tribal+Tattoo.jpg

or

http://i42.tinypic.com/11tvn9x.jpg

Any idea of pricing?
    I know it would depend on an artist but a rough idea?
    how do they price it , is it by time spent on it or what?

( please don't turn this into a rant, i'm willing to pay the amount for a well-done tattoo and wouldn't get it cheap for the sake of spending less money, I'm trying to research )

Nice piece of art, but because of the size and location of picture A, at least 2 if not 3 sittings will be needed for this tattoo. A good artist would charge around €450 completed. Each sitting lasting about 3 hours.

Picture B, could be completed in a days sitting and would cost you around €2-250, again this is what a good artist would charge. This tattoo would take about 4 hours.
    Remember that there are cheaper tattoo atist, they might start off well, but remember, holding a machine for long periods takes an exprienced tattooist.
    Do your home work, if you are prepared to travel then "Pachamama Tattoo Studio" in Killarney co Kerry are experts in tribal/ black and grey work.
    Good luck and remember to think your design through. And just to tell you that on a scale of 10, the pain felt with any tattoo on that area of the torso is 10/10, be prepared.

Keep it well moisturised, and if it still gets itchy, give it a light MIGHTY slap! :D
    It sounds crazy, but it works!

What a load of bolox, where do you get your info, or are you the sort who also slaps the t.v if it plays up.
    Get real treat your healing wound with care, when it itches this is because its healing and starting to dry up and form a scab/ crust. The body is protecting your wound and giving it a MIGHTY slap is a no no.
    clean your fresh tattoo daily with warm soapy water, rinse and PAT it dry, dab the clean fluff free towel to dry the area, then useing a small amount of vasaline that you purchased for the care of the tattoo, do not use the family pot of vasaline where everyones fingers have dipped into it leaving germs and dead skin behind. Rub it into the tattoo this will stop the dry itchy feeling, if you want to you can also tape a piece of cling film over it to stop any bedding rubbing it during the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Jaysus youre informed arent ya.
    A well done tattoo doesnt "form scabs,".. if youre forming scabs youre either not taking care of it right, or your artist has been too heavily handed.
    I agree giving it a "MIGHTY," slap would be bad, but have yet to come across someone who doesnt admit to have slapped their tattoos as a means of releiving the itch.
    Dont use vaseline.. its impremeable and can as a result keep air from your fresh wound.
    And finally DONT wear cling film over a fresh tattoo as this creates a nice fertile warm breeding ground for all kinds of microscopic nasties and only spells trouble for yout tattoo.. just sleep carefully and keep it fresh and moist using some bepanthen.

Jaysus youre informed arent ya.
    With over 20 years of collective skin art, YES.;)

A well done tattoo doesnt "form scabs,".. if youre forming scabs you're either not taking care of it right, or your artist has been too heavily handed
    Rubbish, When your skin is punctured to a depth of around 2mm with multiple sharp needles to inject ink into the dermis, don't blame yourself or the artist as nearly every healing tattoo will dry and develop a crust/flake.:eek:

I agree giving it a "MIGHTY," slap would be bad, but have yet to come across someone who doesnt admit to have slapped their tattoos as a means of releiving the itch.
    Slapping your tattoo is not necessary, and not sanitary, this is an old custom that if you slap your tattoo it will help the ink set!!:confused:

Dont use vaseline..
    I said only use a small bit to keep the skin supple and stop the dry itchy feeling that might cause you to scratch.:mad:

its impremeable and can as a result keep air from your fresh wound.
    I think the word your looking for is impermeable....:D

And finally DONT wear cling film over a fresh tattoo as this creates a nice fertile warm breeding ground for all kinds of microscopic nasties and only spells trouble for yout tattoo.. just sleep carefully and keep it fresh and moist using some bepanthen.
    I agree, thats why I said only to protect your tattoo from rubbing and any fluff that might stick during the night. Remove the film and wash then dry, then apply the cream/goo recommended to help aid the care and healing of your tattoo.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Dardoo

Hi,

I have a tatoo of a unicorn that I got done roughly 13 years ago, that could do with a touch up. The parlor that I got it done in is still there, but doesn't seem to have a good reputation. Does anyone know if another tatoo artist would touch it up for me?

Yeah, most would.. but you could come across someone who doesnt like to touch other peoples work, because they dont like being attached to a tattoo that went bad.

@Porte,

I know tattoos develop a crust/flakiness, Im not completely uneducated on the subject, I just dont like the use of the word 'scab' when it comes to tattoos. I associate the word 'scab' with an unclean wound, and frankly the only time Iv seen a scab on a tattoo, is when its not being taken care of properly and has some sort of infection, or the artist has been too heavily handed resulting in more bleeding than is normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Kenny90

hey dunno if this has been asked r not i had a look trough a few pages but couldnt find anything

whats the legality / availability of lip tattoos
    i know some tattoists wont work on certaain areas but is the inside of the lip one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

there's no issue with legalities, it'll be finding artists that will do it will be the problem, if what you say is true.

Where abouts are you? Someone might suggest a good artist that'll be willing to do it. Otherwise, take out the phonebook, and start making phone calls and asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ciara_ily

Any experience with Michele Prezioso anyone?
    Good or bad? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

porte wrote: »
    What a load of bolox, where do you get your info, or are you the sort who also slaps the t.v if it plays up.
    Get real treat your healing wound with care, when it itches this is because its healing and starting to dry up and form a scab/ crust. The body is protecting your wound and giving it a MIGHTY slap is a no no.
    clean your fresh tattoo daily with warm soapy water, rinse and PAT it dry, dab the clean fluff free towel to dry the area, then useing a small amount of vasaline that you purchased for the care of the tattoo, do not use the family pot of vasaline where everyones fingers have dipped into it leaving germs and dead skin behind. Rub it into the tattoo this will stop the dry itchy feeling, if you want to you can also tape a piece of cling film over it to stop any bedding rubbing it during the night.

Only getting round to replying to this now as I was away for a few days due to a death in the family.

My comment about the slap was a joke. I wouldn't recommend anyone hit it hard. A light slap helps get rid of the itch. As for "helping the ink set" that's the first I've heard of that, but as you said, that'd be a load of rubbish.

Patting the tattoo dry with a towel wouldn't be the best idea, as you really can't ensure that fibres from the towel won't just stick. Patting it dry gently with a piece of kitchen paper works best imho.
    Vaseline on a tattoo is really a big no-no when it's healing, the likes of Bepanthen or Tattoo Goo are highly recommended though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

Hey, I'm planning on getting a horizontal lip piercing soon. :D
    http://www.bme.com/pierce/05-lips/A90107/high/nt33-16g-horizontal.jpg

(I already have a standard labret lip piercing)

Was just wondering if anyone has any advice on this type of piercing??

My main question is if it feels awkward on your lip?
    Can you always feel the piercing so noticably on your lip or do you get used to it like with a standard lip piercing??

Thanks a lot :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

hmmm, I've never seen a horizontal labret before. I'd say the aftercare is similiar to what you'd do for the outside for a regular labret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

where would be a good place and what tattooist would be good to go to, to get this done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

What about the inside of your forearm?

Tarzan_man wrote: »
    where would be a good place and what tattooist would be good to go to, to get this done?
    hunter164 wrote: »
    What about the inside of your forearm?
    I think Tarzan is asking what shop and artist would someone recommend to do the tattoo, considering the file name for the picture has 'wrist' in it :)

Oui, It's going on my right wrist. Lookin for a studio that'd do this design well.

Where are you located?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

He's from kk but goes to college in dub. A I the only one that thinks it's too detailed to be small. Like there's a star in it

Kilkenny on Weekends and during the week I'm in Dun Laoghaire.

• Advertisement

He's from kk but goes to college in dub. A I the only one that thinks it's too detailed to be small. Like there's a star in it
    Youre the first to give an opinion, I agree it does seem too small to be put on a wrist.

Edit: cos Tarzan answered before I asked.

I dont know of any shops in or around dun laoghire, best off goin into town I think :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Oh right sorry :o Still think it would look better on the inside of his forearm, bit of a bigger space.

As for shops Snakebite, Wildcat, Colour Works?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pooh-bah

Hey guys dunno if this belongs here but ill give it a go anyway!
    Im wondering how to get into the piercing side of things,i've heard you can do coursew but they're very expensive!..
    What other options are there?..

Pooh-bah wrote: »
    Hey guys dunno if this belongs here but ill give it a go anyway!
    Im wondering how to get into the piercing side of things,i've heard you can do coursew but they're very expensive!..
    What other options are there?..

Approach a professional piercer and beg for an apprenticeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pooh-bah

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    Approach a professional piercer and beg for an apprenticeship.
    Thanks!ill buy myself some knee pads!..

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭enemy

how big can i stretch my ears before they wont close up?

enemy wrote: »
    how big can i stretch my ears before they wont close up?

If someone tells you - 10mm, then you go and stretch way too fast.. will you come back and tell us "my ears wont close up.. they look like cat a$$-holes," ?

Basically, If youre thinking about having them close up, you shouldnt really be stretching them at all.

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    Basically, If youre thinking about having them close up, you shouldnt really be stretching them at all.

thank you for a straight forward answer, i've asked numerous piercers and got some round about answers and in every case, a different answer. some say 6, some say 8, some say 10

enemy wrote: »
    thank you for a straight forward answer, i've asked numerous piercers and got some round about answers and in every case, a different answer. some say 6, some say 8, some say 10

no problem, you can in theory stretch and then later on have them close up, there is no guarantee they will close 100% without a trace of ever having them stretched. However doing it properly, slowly and carefully should give you the best chance at a.. savable lobe :P

• Advertisement

i got pierced at 4mm about 6 weeks ago, i never had my ears pierced before that and i haven't attempted to stretch them at all yet. i would like them to close up in the future but if they dont, ah well they're only ears.

Advertisement