Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question Thread - Got a question? Ask here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

jenga-jen wrote: »
    Anybody had any problems with PVC bars? I changed one of mine for a PVC one and piercing seems to keep swelling/getting gooey!? :(

pvc? i'd switch it for tygon or ptfe, don't think pvc is suitable for internal use.
    Hi,

I got my earlobes pierced in early November. 5 Weeks later, they were healed and I put new ones in the lobes, unfortunately, the left one got stuck in my hoodie once and ripped it a bit. There was just a bit of blood and I thought it wouldnt have been that bad. I started cleaning it again with antibacterial soap and after a week or so I started using sea salt soaks. I also put the first piercing back in. Until this day, pus comes out of my left earlobe. What can I do? I live in a country where I need to visit a doctor to receive antibiotics but due to problems with my insurance company, I cannot visit a doctor at the moment.
    The piercing never hurt, it was red in the beginning but after soaking and cleaning it it stopped, the only thing that remains is pus coming out of it. Is there anything I can do?

I'd say keep with the sea salt soaks, once your insurance gets sorted hit up the GP for some anti biotics to get rid of the infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Will wrote: »
    pvc? i'd switch it for tygon or ptfe, don't think pvc is suitable for internal use.

LOL there's a strong chance that my piercer said PTFE when she gave it to me and my head went 'PVC' (I'm sure that says something about me :eek:)

Yeh think I'll just go back to metal bar tbh cos I don't think this is normal atm.

Thanks for the responses tho as always! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I really want to get my eyebrow pierced, but I have a couple of (fairly stupid) questions.

Can you still pluck/wax around the piercing? Obviously not when it's still healing but can you once it's healed?

Does it swell up much?

How long does it take to heal? How long before I can safely change it? If I get it done at the start of summer (end of may) would it be healed enough by september to put in a see-through one for school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Aoifums wrote: »
    I really want to get my eyebrow pierced, but I have a couple of (fairly stupid) questions.

Can you still pluck/wax around the piercing? Obviously not when it's still healing but can you once it's healed? I dont see why not, once its healed like you said.

Does it swell up much? No. Very little actually, and no blood either.

How long does it take to heal? 6-8 weeks
    How long before I can safely change it? Once its healed, head back into the studio you got it done in and ask them to replace it. Most studios will do this free of charge, or just charge the price of the jewellery.
    If I get it done at the start of summer (end of may) would it be healed enough by september to put in a see-through one for school? Yeah definately. If you want the retainer, ask if your piercer will put it in when you go in to get it replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Thank you. Another question, it won't affect my ability to raise my eyebrow a lot, will it? And would raising my eyebrow(s) hurt with a new piercing?

• Advertisement

Shouldn't be a problem, may hurt a lil when healing if you decide to move it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Hi lads, long time lurker of this forum, first post.

First off I have no tattoos or piercings, had both nipples done a few years ago and due to playing sports both got ripped out/fell out, thats my only venture into your world :o

I love tattoos, I love art, but the thoughts of putting my trust in someone I bearly know to put ink on me thats there for life is nerve wracking to say the least, it actually freaks me out. Ive had a good look through some of the threads here and have the names of some of the tattoo artists who in my opinion do absolute savage work so I'm gonna work from there.

So, the tattoo I want to get is a fairly popular one, "the great wave", I've attached a pic of what I want. I wont do the whole Miami Ink thing and bore you to tears about why I want said tattoo, its cringeworthy. Its the tattoo I want. BUT, where would I put it, Im not a huge man, Im about 15stone and work out so I have a fair amount of space on my arm which is where I want it, but im unsure as to how it would work, would it wrap around, or would it look terrible if it was a small patch on my arm. Ideally, I would love to get a whole sleeve (slow down haha) so I would want it in such a way that It could be added on to.... I dont think I'd like the tattoo anywhere else on my body, it was suggested to me to put it on my chest, but... just not for me.

This tattoo...
    http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/12-094306L/9592/jpg/03/2010/img6/glowfoto
    ... from one of the threads here blows my mind, the colour, the detail, for its size, amazing. I would love similarly bright colours for my "great wave" tattoo.

Opinions greatly appreciated lads and ladies.

GREAT WAVE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Hey there :D
    Am just wondering what its like getting a tattoo, how painful it is, wheres the best part of your body to get done with the least pain if thats possible lol, and price ranges!
    Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hiya,

These questions have been asked 1,000,000 times before*, so I've moved this to the Questions thread. If you have a read back you'll get the answers.

Short answer:
    It's sore, but bearable. But differes from person to person, and what will really hurt for one person, won't have hurt much for another.

*rough estimate :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I wanted to bump this as I have gotten no replies to it.
    thebanana wrote: »
    Hi lads, long time lurker of this forum, first post.

First off I have no tattoos or piercings, had both nipples done a few years ago and due to playing sports both got ripped out/fell out, thats my only venture into your world :o

I love tattoos, I love art, but the thoughts of putting my trust in someone I bearly know to put ink on me thats there for life is nerve wracking to say the least, it actually freaks me out. Ive had a good look through some of the threads here and have the names of some of the tattoo artists who in my opinion do absolute savage work so I'm gonna work from there.

So, the tattoo I want to get is a fairly popular one, "the great wave", I've attached a pic of what I want. I wont do the whole Miami Ink thing and bore you to tears about why I want said tattoo, its cringeworthy. Its the tattoo I want. BUT, where would I put it, Im not a huge man, Im about 15stone and work out so I have a fair amount of space on my arm which is where I want it, but im unsure as to how it would work, would it wrap around, or would it look terrible if it was a small patch on my arm. Ideally, I would love to get a whole sleeve (slow down haha) so I would want it in such a way that It could be added on to.... I dont think I'd like the tattoo anywhere else on my body, it was suggested to me to put it on my chest, but... just not for me.

This tattoo...
    http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/12-094306L/9592/jpg/03/2010/img6/glowfoto
    ... from one of the threads here blows my mind, the colour, the detail, for its size, amazing. I would love similarly bright colours for my "great wave" tattoo.

Opinions greatly appreciated lads and ladies.

GREAT WAVE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

Hi guys!

Is there certain medication you can't be on when having a tatoo applied? If so, could soomeone please post up a list of these? And in particular is Propanolol/Beta Blocker a no go??

Muchos gracias.

If you wanted it on your arm, I'd say to get the artist to work it into a seamless wraparound. Don't think it being a 'patch' on your arm would really do it justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 087sativa

hey i was wondering if anybody could price the image below (just the circle, about 5 cm in diameter) to the left of my belly button?

also,because of the solid fill,any chance of a time estimate?

02_www.lovethattune.com.jpg

Hi guys!

Is there certain medication you can't be on when having a tatoo applied? If so, could soomeone please post up a list of these? And in particular is Propanolol/Beta Blocker a no go??

Muchos gracias.
    That's not really something any of us here would be able to give you am answer for, even if someone has been through the same because with those kind of mess each case is different.
    Best advice, talk to your prescribing doctor before talking it over with your tattooist.

087sativa wrote: »
    hey i was wondering if anybody could price the image below (just the circle, about 5 cm in diameter) to the left of my belly button?

also,because of the solid fill,any chance of a time estimate?

02_www.lovethattune.com.jpg

Studios will price by the hour, with prices here ranging from 80-100squid per hour. I'd say it'd take no more than two hours.

I wouldn't imagine that it'd even take an hour to be honest.

Thats what I thought, but wanted to err on the long side, just in case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 087sativa

nice one lads just wanted a very rough money estimate prob get it done in bray anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amber23

hey there,

im not sure if this is the right thread but i have a question! i am getting my first tattoo on friday(really excited about it) but i woke up this morning and i seem to have what looks like a coldsore or impetigo around my nostril! i went to a chemist and they said to go to a doc cause it can be contagious but if it is a coldsore or impetigo should i defer the tattoo do you think? i'm worried that because the tattoo would be like an open wound that whatever is on my nose could spread? or am i being ridiculous?

thanks in advance

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

tbh if you know you have a contagious infection, do the tattoo studio a favour and rebook, if anything you are affecting other peoples health and saftey in a potentially clean enviorment

• Advertisement

Splinter wrote: »
    tbh if you know you have a contagious infection, do the tattoo studio a favour and rebook, if anything you are affecting other peoples health and saftey in a potentially clean enviorment

yeah very true, thanks for the reply!

i just called the tattoo studio to cancel the appointment, they asked why, when i said i had a coldsore they laughed and told me not to be so ridculous! so its completely fine to still go in, yey! roll on friday!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Got my nipples pierced today, should I spend a while topless around the house to let air at it or does it matter?

Kersmash wrote: »
    Got my nipples pierced today, should I spend a while topless around the house to let air at it or does it matter?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.:D

ahem. sorry about that.
    No, it should be fine. No need for the toplessness unless you want to. When I got mine done it was covered up with a bandage for the first day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

Hey everybody I'm a newbie here!
    Just have a question, I got my lip pierced 3 weeks ago (a stud). I was told to come back two weeks later to see what the craic was with the swelling and to see if I could get a shorter bar put in.

So I did what I was told ;) I went back after having the piercing two weeks. It had healed really well I had no keloids or swelling, although I realise piercings heal from the outside in, it's obviously not fully healed (or is it?)
    ANYWAY jeez.. Yeah the piercer put in a shorter bar for me and off I went.

A week later I bought a different stud jewelry 16G and put it in today. It a narrower bar. I have the piercing three weeks now. Should I put the other old thicker bar back in or is it okay to keep this 'fashion' stud in? I didnt hurt to put in but it took me a while to get the ball on and I had to push it quite hard to get it through the outside!

Please help because I love this piercing and hope I'm not screwing it up!

you just shrunk the diameter of the bar is all, there's no major damage in it as long as the bar is long enough to accomodate the swelling. if you are worried ask your piercer to have a goo at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 EmmaDig7

Hey there :)
    Ok so I'm wondering if anyone can help me. Got my snug pierced about 5 weeks ago. The piercer in bodyshock said it would take about 2months to heal fully, but after the third week, it started to get quite painful and swollen. I would have regular 'crusties' and redness around each hole of the piercing every morning, even though i cleaned the piercing twice a day with saline solution, as recommended. Now, there's one bump on one of the exit holes, and I haven't a clue how to get rid of it. I'm still cleaning it with saline solution twice a day, trying to avoid sleeping on it, and doing regular warm water -with sea salt- soaks. I've heard and read some things about tea tree oil working.. but not sure about it as I don't want to make it any worse than it is!! Any help at all would be great :D Thanks!!
    Emma :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It's probably just some hyperthropic scarring which is very common in cartilage piercings. Tea tree oil works but it's very harsh on your skin and the piercing. Try using cammomile tea bags first. They work just as well as tea tree oil and are much easier on the piercing. Make a cup of cammomile tea and let the tea bag cool down a bit. When it's warm hold the tea bag against the lump for about 10 minutes. You can drink the tea while doing this :P It might take a few weeks to get results but just be persistant. Do it once or twice a day. If it doesn't work then yes give the tea tree a go. Add literally one or two drops (it's all you need) to your saline solution and clean as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Hey! Don't want to create a new thread for this - I'm looking for recommendations within Ireland, hopefully Dublin, for a biomech calf - lots of deep bright colours, grazed/torn skin. I also love the idea of integrating DNA and some biochemical elements like in the first picture.

I've been looking at the portfolios but I'm going cross eyed and I can't find something kinda similar that I could compare so I'm looking for a recommendation - Would Rob in Snakebite be a good bet for this type of tattoo?

http://www.behindtheink.com/shizzle/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/biochemical.jpg
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2322/2376159175_5523f2b4b9_m.jpg

Also, here's the dumb question - so I ask the tattoo artist to design me something.. is it frowned upon to take the design home and look at it for a while to get used to it and make sure it's what I want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Jean wrote: »
    Also, here's the dumb question - so I ask the tattoo artist to design me something.. is it frowned upon to take the design home and look at it for a while to get used to it and make sure it's what I want?

I can't say which artist would be the best as I've no tats myself, but no absolutely take the drawing home with you to mull it over. It's something that'll be permanently on your body so take all the time you need to make sure it's right for you and it's what you want. Best of luck with it anyway :)

Advertisement