Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question Thread - Got a question? Ask here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

stretching your conch is insanely difficult and sore. I would suggest waiting at least a year until you try stretch it, or else get it dermal punched

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've stretched my conch and it's horrifically painful. I used the taping method and then tapers to get the last little bit before I sized up the barbell. Again, it's so so sore, and it's not like stretching your ear, you really have to push to get the barbell in, even with only 1 layer of PTFE. And it will hurt for ages afterwards, it's like having a fresh piercing all over again.

I'd agree with Will, it'd be easier to get it punched. If you do decide to stretch it yourself, go slow (like about 4 times slower than with your lobes) and use plenty of lube. I can't emphasise this enough, lube is essential! And if you're using tapers, get yourself a good set of surgical steel ones, they'll stand to you later on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DhalsimHibiki

One more question:

Got my first tattoo yesterday on my calf and I followed the aftercare instructions. This morning when I washed it, blue ink came off. I didnt scrub or anything, just let warm water slowly pour down my leg and I gently rubbed my calf with my hand. I actually can't see any ink missing in the picture, I just wonder whether its normal for excess ink to come out or if I did something wrong. (btw. its only blue ink and its pretty gooey)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

It's perfectly normal for some inky-gooey stuff to occur in the first few days of getting a tattoo. It can be worrying seeing flakes of colour being washed away! Keep it well moisturised, so that it doesn't dry up and flake too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DhalsimHibiki

Hey, me again
    after I got my tattoo on thursday, the artist said I should cover up the tattoo for three days, day and night. The aftercare sheet said it should be covered for 4 nights (only at night). The artist told me to ignore that and do it as he said. Now I am looking around on the net and many people say that you should take off the cling film as soon as possible as its detrimental to the tattoo.
    The 3 days are over today at noon so I am going to take it off today anyways, just wondered what you think about this. When should the cling film be taken off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

i never have cling film on my tattoos!!! they need to breathe too! just wash it a couple of hours after i get them done then bepanthan a few times a day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

Hey, how long after getting a tattoo should you wait before you shave over it? Seen very mixed messages on the internet

Everything from 14 days to 6 months to never.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Intil the scab goes away.

My question, Do you plan on fighting sofa spud in a duel to the death, for the right to be jesus, and if you lose shall you be resurrected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

Intil the scab goes away.

My question, Do you plan on fighting sofa spud in a duel to the death, for the right to be jesus, and if you lose shall you be resurrected?

Thanks for the reply.

Oh no I am not Jesus, I am Jebus.

However, if he wants to challenge my Jebusness then, I will accept.

I am not as good as Jesus, it took him 3 days to resurrect. I am afraid it takes me 3.17 days.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭lissacahaluke

Hey guys I dont want to start a new thread as its "frowned upon" so ill put it here?
    Well anyway im 16 and im thinking of gettin my eyebrow done.
    I live in West cork so I can make a trip to the city if needs be.
    So is Bazzers (i think thats the name of the place) safe to get it done? How much will it cost?
    Will I be able to take it in and out for school if i need to?
    And will i get a curved bar put through in the first place or will I have to wait a few weeks?
    And how much of a scar will I have if I take it out in a few years?

Thanks,
    Luke Delaney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Hi guys

Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this question but I'll go for it anyways:

I got a tattoo done in Wildcat in St Stephens Green last year. It was the one on the bottom left hand side of this page: http://www.pusfan.com/poster22.htm.

Anyhoo, it didnt turn out as good as I thought it would, and want to get the bottom half of it changed.

Are there any artists amongst you that would have any suggestions??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Hey guys I dont want to start a new thread as its "frowned upon" so ill put it here?
    Well anyway im 16 and im thinking of gettin my eyebrow done.
    I live in West cork so I can make a trip to the city if needs be.
    So is Bazzers (i think thats the name of the place) safe to get it done? How much will it cost?
    Will I be able to take it in and out for school if i need to?
    And will i get a curved bar put through in the first place or will I have to wait a few weeks?
    And how much of a scar will I have if I take it out in a few years?

Thanks,
    Luke Delaney

Bazzers is a barbershop. Avoid it, and go around the corner to Tattoo Zoo instead. I'm not sure what their age policy is these days, but they may pierce people who are 16 or over.

You won't be able to take it in and out while it's healing so you shouldn't get it done if that's what you have in mind. Even when it's healed it may not last without jewellery while you're in school so be careful. You could be better off getting it during the summer, healing it, and wearing a retainer when you back to school.

You should be able to get it pierced with a bar and whether or not it'll scar will depend on how it heals, how prone you are to scarring, etc- the piercer can go into more detail on this so ask them when you're getting it done.

Price- I think it's around €40 or thereabouts.

Ya ok and if i did get it done in tatoo zoo would i have to get a parent to come in and be there while i get it done or something or would i just be able to walk ijn do you think?
    Whats wrong with bazzers?
    And I was thinking of getting it done at the start of the summer holidays and just taking it out in the morning and putting it back in the evenings?
    Whats a retainer?
    Sorry for all the questions but it is my first piercing and i want to make sure i do my research.:)
    Thanks,
    Luke Delaney.
    Gauge wrote: »
    Bazzers is a barbershop. Avoid it, and go around the corner to Tattoo Zoo instead. I'm not sure what their age policy is these days, but they may pierce people who are 16 or over.

You won't be able to take it in and out while it's healing so you shouldn't get it done if that's what you have in mind. Even when it's healed it may not last without jewellery while you're in school so be careful. You could be better off getting it during the summer, healing it, and wearing a retainer when you back to school.

You should be able to get it pierced with a bar and whether or not it'll scar will depend on how it heals, how prone you are to scarring, etc- the piercer can go into more detail on this so ask them when you're getting it done.

Price- I think it's around €40 or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Ya ok and if i did get it done in tatoo zoo would i have to get a parent to come in and be there while i get it done or something or would i just be able to walk ijn do you think?
    Whats wrong with bazzers?
    And I was thinking of getting it done at the start of the summer holidays and just taking it out in the morning and putting it back in the evenings?
    Whats a retainer?
    Sorry for all the questions but it is my first piercing and i want to make sure i do my research.:)
    Thanks,
    Luke Delaney.
    You might need a parent/guardian to come in with you if you're 16. I needed mine when I got my brow pierced when I was 16. You should just be able to walk in, no need for an appointment.

Bazzers, as was said, is a barbers. They wouldnt have the proper training, or experience to be able to ensure its pierced right. If pierced wrong, it can sever nerves, and you could lose all feeling down that side of your face. And you don't want that. No matter how cool all the other kids say it is!:P

If you get it done at the start of the summer hols you won't need to be taking it in and out. Taking it and out will not help it, especially during the healing phase(2-3months). It'll cause scarring inside the piercing, and the keloid won't form as nicely. The keloid is the healed part inside your piercing. It'll also increase the chances of rejection, migration and infection. It could also close up while you have it out.
    Talk to a piercer in the shop. They'll explain to you properly why its not a good idea to be taking it in and out regularily.

A retainer is just another form of jewellery. They're usually made of a clear plastic, and are designed to sit in you're piercing and be practically invisible.

Hope at least some of that helps.

Ya brilliant man thanks. And its just all my friend got there piercings there nipples, tongue, eyebrow, lip etc. Sorry bout that.
    And did you get yours in tattoo zoo ya?
    And do you need proof that your 16 or will your parents say so be alright?
    And just to clarify tattoo zoo is down near tk-max ya?;)
    Siound out,
    Luke Delaney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

No no. I'm not from Cork at all. Got mine done in Dublin. But most places policies are fairly similiar.
    If a parent is there thats all they'll need. I could be wrong, so don't quote me!

Ya ok thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭ro09

Will wrote: »
    A lot of people seem a bit intimidated to ask questions which they feel may be a bit silly or whatever. Well this is the place to ask such questions. We all were new to this once and the only way people learn is by asking questions.

Smart ass questions or replies will be dealt with in the form of a ban.

Anywho go ahead and enjoy :)

Dont want to offend anyone but I cant stand tattoos, its real show offy, You cant donate blood either if you have one.

ro09 wrote: »
    Dont want to offend anyone but I cant stand tattoos, its real show offy, You cant donate blood either if you have one.

Is that true?

You're in the wrong forum then dude. I believe you can donate blood after 6 months or something along those lines.

• Advertisement

You should not donate blood for 6 months if:

You have visited a Tropical area
    You have had a tattoo/ body piercing
    You received acupuncture by a non-medically registered practitioner
    You have had a major surgery.

http://www.dohc.ie/public/information/blood_and_organ_donation/blood_donation.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Bit of a ridiculous post to put in a Tattoos and Piercing Forum

Wills right aswell--you can donate blood 6 months or so after getting a Tattoo and I think if you get a full blood screening done you can donate sooner than that.Something rings a bell about people with rarer blood types that are in short supply being able to donate very soon after a tattoo,piercing,visit to a country with certain diseases once theyve been thouroughly(sp?) screened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I don't even know where to begin in response to that... so I won't bother.

I'll just shake my head and tut.

Go away.

Lads chill out :) He was polite enough, lets show him the same respect please.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Will wrote: »
    Lads chill out :) He was polite enough, lets show him the same respect please.
    what Will said.

People will always have their own views of tattoos and piercings, in this case it was a negative one. They don't push their views on us, simply express them.

Question time:

I'm not a particularly musculely (sp?) guy, in fact, i reckon i'm underweight but thats neither here nor there. I'm contemplating a sleeve or maybe half sleeve starting around my shoulder, are their any negatives i should be aware of bar the pain?

Splinter wrote: »
    what Will said.

People will always have their own views of tattoos and piercings, in this case it was a negative one. They don't push their views on us, simply express them.

Question time:

I'm not a particularly musculely (sp?) guy, in fact, i reckon i'm underweight but thats neither here nor there. I'm contemplating a sleeve or maybe half sleeve starting around my shoulder, are their any negatives i should be aware of bar the pain?

The fact that ye might regret it in years to come?? I got a tattoo on my left upper arm, and I want to cover it with something, but don't know what???

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

The fact that ye might regret it in years to come?? I got a tattoo on my left upper arm, and I want to cover it with something, but don't know what???
    Na I have both forearm's tattoo'd as it is so thought will go into getting anything done but a good point :) the sleeve I'm looking into is outside the normal style (i won't go into too much information for the moment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 starie

fair enough if you dont like tattoos

BUT you can donate blood 4 months after having a tatt

i wouldnt want people to think that you can never donate after having a tatt, as donating blood is VERY IMPORTANT

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I think it's 6 months rather than 4, but you are right.

Advertisement