Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

User type other than BANNED!

Options
  • 08-03-2009 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭

Its quite normal for users to request a temp ban for personal reasons normally such as the need to study for exams or they are trying for a baby with their missus. In this case they are slapped with the "Banned" under their user name.

This leaves the user with the ugly tag of unclean on their profile for ither users to see.

Is it a viable option to have another user group to put these people requesting a break from boards called perhaps "On sabbatical" therefore reomoving the need to tar people with the shame of BANNED and at least letting other users know that they are not banned but simply taking a break.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

snyper wrote: »
    that they are not banned but simply taking a break.
    maybe use a kit kat wrapper as their avatar. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Good suggestion snyper.

Should've started this in development as a feature request though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Thats a nice idea snyper. I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I know it doesn't take much time, but you've got to remember that whoever bans and unbans (sabbaticises and unsabbaticises the user) will spend time doing this. And the developer will spend time developing the code to do this also, as it's not simply adding a new usergroup - it's adding a usergroup and adding that to the choices of banned users and altering the tagline.

When it's so that someone can force themselves not to come to this website? Because they don't have the willpower to not login (when they can easily view any thread)?

It doesn't mock sense to me.

In saying that though, it would save the unsabbaticiser a wee bit of time while they check the users history to confirm that the user actually was on a sabbatical as opposed to being banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I like the cut of your jib.

Any Smod will be able to alter the tagline anyway.

I remember a time when siteban request weren't entertained at all, and it seems rather pointless to request one when you can read ad infinitum in any case.

But it seems to be de rigeur these days, so the idea's a good 'un, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I remember a time when siteban request weren't entertained at all, and it seems rather pointless to request one when you can read ad infinitum in any case.

The siteban requests for study purposes are just smokescreens in case their lecturers read boards. Could tip the balance if in a borderline 2.2 situation. The user really just pisses off on holiday somewhere for the period of the site ban.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

What Gordie said.
    I see no point wasting time getting this set up.

We sometimes ban people at their request as a favour and only because they do not have the willpower to stay away of their own accord.
    Hardly worth CuLT spending time on considering the amount of work he has on his plate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Gordon wrote: »
    When it's so that someone can force themselves not to come to this website? Because they don't have the willpower to not login (when they can easily view any thread)?

I have never understood the logic behind people wanting to be banned. I'd be for just getting rid of the practise.

In the event though that we continue I disagree that it will take any time. Just make a copy of the banned usergroup but change the name and tagline. No coding to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ponster wrote: »
    I have never understood the logic behind people wanting to be banned. .

Can't people post in Prison afterwards? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

snyper wrote: »
    Its quite normal for users to request a temp ban for personal reasons normally such as the need to study for exams or they are trying for a baby with their missus. In this case they are slapped with the "Banned" under their user name.
    It would say allot about a user if even the prospect of buckets of sex could not draw them away from boards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement