Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games Development

• 08-03-2009 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Can anyone tell me what this course is like.
    Does It make you feel like you will get a job creating games or is it more of a pogramming course

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

are you looking to do game DESIGN or game PROGRAMMING? if you have no interest in programming, this really isn't the course for you.

If you want to look at more info, there is an older thread here about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 miece

i'm repeating first year and i have to say its programming heavy. it will probably be worth it in the end however im thinking of going to W.I.T to do entertainment systems next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

We had a very steep drop-out rate in the first CAO year, Red myself and 50-something others started, starting 2nd year we had 30, 3rd year had 15, 4th year has 9. I'm still not sure how I got this far, but whatever.

Long story short it is maths and programming heavy, if you want to do arty things like drawing consept art and creating models, this course has very little to do with that.

Here is some code, the sort of thing you will be working with in 2nd year.
    void Triangle::Draw()
    {
    	glPushMatrix();
    	glTranslatef(this->Position.X,this->Position.Y,0);
    	glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES);			// Drawing Using Triangles
    	for(int i = 0;i<3;i++)
    	{
    		glVertex2f(Points[i].X,Points[i].Y);
    	}
    	glEnd();
    	glPopMatrix();
    }

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

There is no point in showing him that code because unless he's done programming before he wont understand it.

As for the course, its a programming course with game elements. I did it for 2 years and changed course as soon as i got the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 miece

here's a typical project they would give you in first year. this was about halfway through the year.

i got 36% for it !!!!!! lecturer said i didnt follow THEIR specs... i went off and created my own version and i lose marks. WTF. The damn thing is perfect. it used methods and everything!!! grrr..

i also included the source code if anyone wants to look at it.

bit of code:
    //displays the winner
            private void winner()
            {
                // determine who was the winner
                if (player == 2)
                    player = 1;
                else
                    player = 2;
                // increase player score
                if (player == 1)
                {
                    p1Score++;
                    label5.Text = "[ " + p1Score + " ]";
                }
                else if (player == 2)
                {
                    ++p2Score;
                    label6.Text = "[ " + p2Score + " ]";
                }
                winnerlabel.Text = "Player " + player + " wins";
                blocked();
                butNew.Visible = true;

}

http://www.2shared.com/file/5057667/e054e9de/TicTacToe.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Im doing my work experience at the moment for 3rd year and im on a year out at the moment and i should be going back, but its not a great course and our year were treated like guinea pigs and didnt really teach us the best stuff or the stuff we really wanted. However its going better for years below us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

You were treated like guinea pigs!?
    You!?
    GTFO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

i mean our year geng you turdburgler...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

What language are they doing in the games course the programming standard looks kinda low lol I guess enda D. isn't teaching guys any programming language. looking @the for loop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

They teach alot of programming languages in the course over the four years but the strongest emphasis is on C++.

Not being arrogrant or anything but the programmers left by 4th year are a pretty high standard as graduates come. If you had encountered the lobster in 4th year, you'd meet a programmer who surpasses even the lecturers for the most part.

If you make it to 4th year, see how much of a low standard you think there is in it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Sounds impressive :) I am on the software development routh :S looking forward to the challenges to come :)

Advertisement