Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party continues to waffle

Options
  • 08-03-2009 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

A few passages from a Irish Times article about the Greens conference:
    He [Paul Gogerty] said he had a message for the Taoiseach: "If in doubt we'll pull out."
    Ms McKenna pointed out that the education cutbacks had already been decided in Cabinet and discussed and supported and it would be a "very bad signal now" for the party to turn around and oppose it. She said the Greens "need to pull our weight".
    They had formed a Government with Fianna Fáil "and there we will stay barring unfortunate scandals for the duration of this term".

Full article

Im just so very curious about what lines the greens draw for themselves. When will they be "in doubt"?? Certainly not when the Govt slashed education budget despite that being one of the pillars of the green party.

And what, pray tell, was not "unfortunate" about the Mahon Tribunal? It was certainly a scandal. Yet this did not fulfill their criteria for some strange reason.

If the greens did what they preached they would be out of government a few times over at this stage. How can this group honestly be taken seriously if they go on like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

But didn't Paul Gogarty vote for the increase in class sizes for primary school children, knowing the devastating effect that would have on the weakest children?

Its a bit late now to be looking for reviews of the deal with FF next year. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

We'll see how he votes in the budget in april. My betting is he'll stick with de party (just like FF "rebels" do).

This is more stage managed crap. The greens are trying FFs trick of being in govt and opposition at the same time.

If Gogarty actually believed in the stuff he's spouting for public consumption then he'd either abstain or vote against the govt to allow a general election and let a new govt, of whatever makeup, take power with a proper mandate to deal with the **** we've got going on right now.

Can't see it happening though.

the Greens are now truly a "party of government", pity it's wannabee pds though.

Of course FF don't care what colour their mudguard is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

The thing about Gogarty is that he is very prepared to talk the talk but the mans form doesn't suggest that he is going to walk the walk anytime soon.

At least Fintan Mc Grath had the courage of his own convictions. Gogarty is talking absolute horse sh*te about "resigning as education spokesperson".... Paul, if you aren't happy where you are, then have the courage of your convictions and cross the floor of the house and be the change you want to see in Ireland. Staying in the Green Party and resigning as a spokesperson is just having your cake and eating it and will lose you all your credibility.

This guy is starting to do my head in, he has an awful lot to say, he is clearly very unhappy supporting a FF government. Grand Paul, if you are that unhappy, withdraw your support and you'd be respected for having a position one way or the other. I gave you a first preference vote in Palmerstown in the last election but I didn't think when I did so, that you'd be part of an FF government, I voted for change and somehow my singular protest vote for Paul Gogarty ended up shoring up a FF government!!!

Paul, RESIGN and cross the floor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

We'll see how he votes in the budget in april. My betting is he'll stick with de party (just like FF "rebels" do).

This is more stage managed crap. The greens are trying FFs trick of being in govt and opposition at the same time.

If Gogarty actually believed in the stuff he's spouting for public consumption then he'd either abstain or vote against the govt to allow a general election and let a new govt, of whatever makeup, take power with a proper mandate to deal with the **** we've got going on right now.

Can't see it happening though.

the Greens are now truly a "party of government", pity it's wannabee pds though.

Of course FF don't care what colour their mudguard is.

Very true, he is acting just like the FF blaggards he is so critical of. He is making a complete idiot out of himself in my eyes, a man with a lot of talk but no real position on anything, there is nothing more dangerous and he certainly won't be getting my vote again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

well Gogerty made a big statement by resigning as educacation spokesperson. not worth a s***e. Paul you should have resigned from the party. now that would have been a big statement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

paconnors wrote: »
    well Gogerty made a big statement by resigning as educacation spokesperson. not worth a s***e. Paul you should have resigned from the party. now that would have been a big statement

He resigned because he didn't own education any more within the green party, nothing to do with the cuts he voted for, just his own vanity.

The greens have sh1t repeatedly in their own bath.

Do I feel like a sap for giving Trev a preference. A mistake I won't make again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

SO Paul decided to resign his Green education post as a result of lack of confidence as he saw it.

He didnt, however, resign his education committee position that conveniently pays him €20,000 a year.

Thanks Paul, for even if you dont mind cutting the education budget, the fact you refuse to cut yours gives us all a feeling of hope.

Advertisement