Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of buying first camera.

• 08-03-2009 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I know this might seem like a broad question but Im looking to get a new camera.
    Looking to get into photography but don't want to spend too much.
    What cameras would you recommend for €200(ish)?
    I want something more aimed at photography rather than just taking pictures of friends.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Are you looking at getting a digital SLR? or just a good digital camera?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

imho if your looking for something for more then just pictures of friends you'd want to be looking at a bridge-SLR or a SLR

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭6stringmaniac

draffodx wrote: »
    Are you looking at getting a digital SLR? or just a good digital camera?

I would prefer to get a digital slr but there doesn't seem to be within my price-range.
    Do you know of any decent ones that are?
    Also what are the main advantages of a bridge-slr over a digital camera?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

if you can get up north a D40 is only £246 which is €275 in Argo's in Newry or wherever is closest to you - D40 - Argos.co.uk

Well worth stretching that little bit extra to get a DSLR in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Buy another guitar!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Buy a used one from adverts.ie.

Canon 300D, 350D...should be able to get a 350D without a lens for around 200-220. You might get a 300D with a lens for 200 euro.

Also there will be the Nikon equivalents which I don't know alot about but are more or less just as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

forget bridge, save up a couple of hundred maybe a little less and get a 400d for around 350 on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭6stringmaniac

TelePaul wrote: »
    Buy another guitar!

You know me too well :pac:

But right now Ill have to stick with my five guitars.

Is it safe buying something like a camera second hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The model under the Sony DSCH50 bridge camera is pretty decent w/ Carls Zeiss lens and is roughly E200-E250 depending on where you look.

Can't recall the model number off the top of my head though, sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

You know me too well :pac:

But right now Ill have to stick with my five guitars.

Is it safe buying something like a camera second hand?

Well photographic equipment is expensive so alot of people look after it exceptionally well. (like road racing bikes - people really love their equipment so they look after it) They would have the mindset that they will sell it in the future aswell, especially bodies which are usually upgraded more often than good lenses.

When looking for any used camera equipment I avoid people who have no boxes and manuals. It's a bad sign really and as a buyer you like them to be included and they should make it easier to sell when the time comes for you to change aswell. I also am sceptical about ads that seem half assed the way they are written. I always look at photos to see the condition. The owner should also be upfront about any marks and scratches when you ask them. You can get some great bargains.

This is a very good place for buying equipment http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=51&page=2&perpage=30&sort=10
    You have the advantage of buying from people who regularly post on this website and whose reputation they must upkeep. Be wary of people who have just registered - I had a very bad experience with one of these recently and he is now banned for 6 months.

Another good site is photography Ireland....Here is a link to the equipment for sale section http://www.photographyireland.net/viewforum.php?f=17
    Again you have the advantage of buying from people who post regularly on the forum.

Advertisement