Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne and Melbourne Uni

Options
  • 08-03-2009 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm heading to Melbourne in July for a year as part of my Law degree. I will be studying in the University of Melbourne. Just wondering what the city is like: accommodation costs, nightlife, food, transport, etc; and also if anyone has any experience of the Uni itself.

Finally I'll have a couple of months of during the summer months between semesters. Any must travel routes in Oz and NZ?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

joxer05 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm heading to Melbourne in July for a year as part of my Law degree. I will be studying in the University of Melbourne. Just wondering what the city is like: accommodation costs, nightlife, food, transport, etc; and also if anyone has any experience of the Uni itself.

Finally I'll have a couple of months of during the summer months between semesters. Any must travel routes in Oz and NZ?

Thanks!

Lucky you! I didnt attend the university but lived relatively near it. It can be tricky to get accommodation in Melbourne but there are huge notice boards advertising accommodation in the university. For food, there is more variety then you'd get here in the supermarkets, if you're being thrifty head to the victoria market fresh fruit, fish and meat. Around 1 in the afternoon they start selling off fish, and you can get some bargains. Locals moan about the transport but if compared to the crap system here its amazing. A metcard will work in the trams, trains and buses. The journey planner on the metlink site is really handy when you're trying to find your way around.http://jp.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/metlink/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en I doubt you'll need to use the bus though. Nightlife in Melbourne is fantastic, most pubs/clubs open all hours. Brunswick street is a great spot. You can pick up a deck of cards called the secret pubs (or something like that) which is a good way to start finding random pubs because there are a lot stuck down alley ways. Its in most of the bookshops in Melbourne.The nearest must do tourist thing in Melbourne is the great ocean road. And the circle tram is free and goes past most of the touristy spots in the CBD. Have a ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I was inches away from applying for doing this, in Melbourne, after attending a talk given about it. There are quite a few places on-campus, but they range from 15000-20000 Oz dollars for the whole year. But this includes three meals a day.

In euro price, it was roughly 20,000e for the year, but that was an estimate they gave. The whole place does look amazing, would loved to have done it myself, but don't have that much money.

Advertisement