Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College fees

Options
  • 08-03-2009 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

does anyone know for sure:( or have an opinion about the college fees coming back??:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Personally i dont think they can possibly come in until those in fifth and sixth year currently have completeing the leaving cert as those in these years have been working on the basis of a free third level education surely the government cant just decide to take this away and if it those it must be known before we undertake the senior years or at the extreme least before we have payed/applied for our leavin cert papers..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Personally i dont think they can possibly come in until those in fifth and sixth year currently have completeing the leaving cert as those in these years have been working on the basis of a free third level education surely the government cant just decide to take this away and if it those it must be known before we undertake the senior years or at the extreme least before we have payed/applied for our leavin cert papers..

lol - what a feeble reason that would be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

That excuse won't do. If it's brought it it'll be done at a stroke of a pen.

Pay for your Leaving Cert. If you were considering going to college then paying for your test and LC books wouldn't have be a stumbling block.

Sorry, you'll need something else if you want to go protesting

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DavidMyster

very true. do ye know the likelyhood of it being brought back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah, happydayz, and what about the people who are already IN college then?

I heard rumours the decision was going to be made in May or so, but they were pretty insubstantial.

Seems likely, the way things are going, but we (I, whatever) can always hope for the best (while trying desperately to get a job that'll earn me 7k in 4 months!)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Can we just not go here?
    This along with the IOE debate generally just descends in to insults.........

(OP-More than likely)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Fee's in some form will come back, iv think they have to aswell in fairness!

But they should be applied to families earning over 150,000 or something and even at that should have a waiver scheme.

The main area they cant hit is the families over the maintenance grant witha number of children, who simply wouldnt be able to afford it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

OP probably...

But im gonna pretend that this thread dosen't exist because as Fad said it will just descend into insults...

what?! no it wont! just getting peoples opinions!!

what?! no it wont! just getting peoples opinions!!

Use the search function, and find one of the older threads.

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    Can we just not go here?
    This along with the IOE debate generally just descends in to insults.........

(OP-More than likely)
    If you don't want to discuss it, avoid the thread. ;p

This was discussed reasonably recently OP, so I'd recommend you look for the thread.

If you don't want to discuss it, avoid the thread. ;p

This was discussed reasonably recently OP, so I'd recommend you look for the thread.

Because someone will start spouting some búll**** like if you paid fees for school you pay fees for college, or if if you have a high income you should have to pay more than someone with a low income (Me thinks mean testing is a bad idea...........Not getting into it) etcetcetc, and I'll be all "Pull yo head outta ass biatch" and promptly pimpslap them.

haha read the other thread and i see what u mean ohmy**** the amout of bull**** they were coming up with

haha read the other thread and i see what u mean ohmy**** the amout of bull**** they were coming up with

I'm sorry you had to read that.

I'm sure you understand now, why this thread is a bad idea.........

In some ways I'm actually kind of hoping that they will come back. If I'm going to be paying for college in Ireland, I might as well leave the country and pay for another college in Vienna or Prague or somewhere like that. The only thing that's actually keeping me in Ireland is the fact that college here is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

does the netherlands have free education?

In some ways I'm actually kind of hoping that they will come back. If I'm going to be paying for college in Ireland, I might as well leave the country and pay for another college in Vienna or Prague or somewhere like that. The only thing that's actually keeping me in Ireland is the fact that college here is free.

yah becoz zomg they are so much btr than cities in ireland i mean yah lyk

anladmór wrote: »
    yah becoz zomg they are so much btr than cities in ireland i mean yah lyk

Did I say they were better than Irish cities? No. I said I'd prefer them to Irish cities.

I'm going to assume you have never ever ever spent any considerable time in either city. I'm also going to assume you don't speak Czech. I'm going to assume you have gone on weekends to those cities and had a great time(prague is great) and have based your entire opinion on those cities on the back of that...

just a hunch though.

What in the hell, anladmór, calm down...

I'd say if college fees were in when I was choosing which course to do, I'd have applied to England or somewhere - if you have to pay fees anyway, you may as well go to the best university you can.

• Advertisement

Using an assumption as the basis for an argument isn't a very good idea. Anyway, I don't see what your problem is, really.

No, I don't speak Czech. But, if you knew what you were talking about, you'd know that Charles' University in Prague teaches, to a large extent, though English. This is also the case with most large European universities, including the University of Vienna.

And, if you would really like to know, I'd probably choose an awful lot of countries over Ireland - not that I've anything against Ireland. There's just something about a centuries old European university which I find far more appealing than any Irish university, bar Trinity.

PFM has said exactly my thoughts. If you're going to be paying for university anyway, why not chose the best one you can?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/idgbcweysn/

just read that online :\ it really worries me, I took a year out to repeat french and now I'm gonna be screwed for fees, as is my friend who repeated the whole thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/idgbcweysn/

just read that online :\ it really worries me, I took a year out to repeat french and now I'm gonna be screwed for fees, as is my friend who repeated the whole thing

Bet people who did TY as well are kicking themselves now aswell

strongr wrote: »
    Bet people who did TY as well are kicking themselves now aswell

thats me:(

Advertisement