Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much to build house in Kildare??

• 08-03-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone have an estimate of how much a 2500 sqft dormer with medium/high spec fit out would cost (incl kitchen etc??) - Non direct

All opinions are welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Soldier

Hi Paddy, it depends if you are the type of person who will haggle and haggle to get the price down or if you will just take the first quote you get. i am building a 350sq ft house 2story in Galway. i havent a huge budget as i had to buy the land but so far i have paid.

17,000 for site clearance and strip foundation.
    26,000 for all the walls, insulation, window cills, lintels, concrete stairs, hollowcore flooring, 4 rsjs, steel for conservatory, cement, plasticer all that stuff etc for the block stage
    22,000 for the roof
    i have a quote for plastering inside and out for 8700 (plus slabbing) labour only

so far i dont think im doing to bad with the size of the house. :) hope this helps. just haggle and always get someone recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Scober11

PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mr burns79

Paddy,

There are a lot of variables....how long is a piece of string...

However for budgetary purposes you could go with €750 to €950 per m2.

As you are going for a medium to high spec and non direct labour €900 per m2 (€84 per Sq Ft) would be a good starting point, however there would be plenty of scope to beat this down.

Mr. Burns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I would double these rates .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Hi all,

Does anyone have an estimate of how much a 2500 sqft dormer with medium/high spec fit out would cost (incl kitchen etc??) - Non direct

All opinions are welcome

In leitrim, without the interior fit out and kitchen (Just Sanitary ware), a contractor will charge approximately €70 per square foot including VAT in the current climate. You might have scope to beat him down a euro or 2 in the most recent economic climate, but €70 is the going rate. (Down from €85 12 months ago).

Its the finishing of the house that will cost the most - flooring, painting, second fix carpentry, kitchen, furniture, electrical, stairs etc. Can often cost as much as the structure of the house itself - for a medium/high spec fit out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mr burns79

Sinnerboy

Be careful when using these calculators & publications

http://clearys.ie/domcalc2.html

http://www.scs.ie/publications/digital_publications

These are used for insurance reinstatement calculations. The figures include an allowance for demolition costs & professional fees. In other words if you have a fire in your home, it will have to be demolished first and then rebuilt.

By there nature these generic lists will always tend to air on the high side so as to insure that they have the bases covering. Also the scs publication is dated May 2008...tender prices have fallen by anything up to 15% to 20% since May 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

mr burns79 wrote: »
    Paddy,

There are a lot of variables....how long is a piece of string...

However for budgetary purposes you could go with €750 to €950 per m2.

As you are going for a medium to high spec and non direct labour €900 per m2 (€84 per Sq Ft) would be a good starting point, however there would be plenty of scope to beat this down.

Mr. Burns

id be saying exactly the same type of figures based on my expierence

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

builidng 3300sq ft myself

first builder came back at 230k today

he'll be waiting, will obviously do it cheaper direct labour so will see his reaction. waiting on more costs anyway

2009 will be the year of the unfinished house . The foolish client will sign up the desperate builder .... on an uneconomic basis .

Watch this forum around September ( guesstimate) to see if I'm right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Folks

I have to say that some of info I read here about builder quotes are difficult to believe.

I am building a 314 sq m house which is currently on hold and I have spent 180k to date. This includes everything from architects fees to the local contribution and commencement fee. I have spent 157k on the build and I haven't reached wall plate yet. I have put in hollowcore floor and concrete stairs and underfloor heating on the groundfloor. It is my intention to recommence next September and put on the roof/windows and plaster the house. I have haggled at every stage of the project and the blocklayer took 5k off his price. Hopeful I will have a job by next September but I expect that to put finish the wall plate/roof and slate/windows will cost another 130k which brings the cost of the build to 287k. I am not building in an expensive part of the country.

Lightning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Folks

I have to say that some of info I read here about builder quotes are difficult to believe.

I am building a 314 sq m house which is currently on hold and I have spent 180k to date. This includes everything from architects fees to the local contribution and commencement fee. I have spent 157k on the build and I haven't reached wall plate yet. I have put in hollowcore floor and concrete stairs and underfloor heating on the groundfloor. It is my intention to recommence next September and put on the roof/windows and plaster the house. I have haggled at every stage of the project and the blocklayer took 5k off his price. Hopeful I will have a job by next September but I expect that to put finish the wall plate/roof and slate/windows will cost another 130k which brings the cost of the build to 287k. I am not building in an expensive part of the country.

Lightning

1. You are (i assume) not a builder. You will not always save money going direct labour.

2. 80 euro a sq ft is a guide. It wouldnt be based on you having hollowcore floors and ufh. People are asking very general questions without much information being given. I know what it costs to build a house and how to build it, but its like asking, how much is a 2 litre petrol car in kildare..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I'm starting a build of a 2500 sq ft house (ground floor) with approx. 700 sq ft of converted attic space. The builder that I'm going with has quoted me 200k, + 12k for a basic 6m * 4m garage. It doesn't include interior painting, bathroom ware or fitted kitchen.

No I am not a builder but I have found this site to be a an invaluable source of information. The point that I was making was something similar to Sinnerboys. I think that people are underestimating the cost of building their new home. When I am finished building my house and if somebody asks me how much the build cost, I will be able to provide an exact figure which includes everything. I will be able to tell them what level of insulation went into the house, how much I paid for HRV, heat pump, windows, airtightness etc. Some of the prices I got for airtightness/windows were strange and I posted these quotes on another thread. So the information that I post on this site is accurate and hopefully I will still have a job by next September and I will post the price of the roof/slating/windows/stonework/plastering/fascia and soffit on this site. My house has an unusual shape with some large windows which may be puts up the cost.

I have always tried to ask people who are building houses what they are paying to ensure that I am not being ripped off.

Lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Soldier

Hi

My roof labour is costing me 9000, materials quoted at 12,700 haggled down from 13,200. he is also leaving the scaffolding there for the plasterer. My blocklayer charged me 7000 to do the whole house, put in cills, chimneys etc had his own scaffolding. i have gotten a quote for plastering the outside of the house only for 2,400. :) he is qualified and i am going to see the houses he did this weekend. i am pricing guttering at the moment as soon as i get the quotes back i will let you know what they come out at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

It seems this thread is not specific to Kildare building costs.
    Maybe it could be merged with similar thread on here today.

As Sinnerboy wisely pointed out, a lot of peole may be in tears with their builders by september. If you haggle the price down too low your builder or sub-contractors will not be too keen to go the extra mile to help you out or do a good job. The word 'Extra' and/or 'not included in price' may be heard a lot.
    If using a main contractor, for his own survival, corners may have to be cut.
    He may have to spend time on other better paying jobs.

One of the realities with builders dropping prices is that they are still obliged to pay the Union agreed CIF rates to their workers. These rates are very high and were agreed during the boom. Many builders just can't pay the rates and have to let folk go.

i got a price tonight of 53k for the following...foundations, sub floors, block work, insulation, all materials supplied and labour....up to roof level

what do ye think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

1922 wrote: »
    i got a price tonight of 53k for the following...foundations, sub floors, block work, insulation, all materials supplied and labour....up to roof level

what do ye think?
    What floor area and what type - eg bungalow, 2 storey??

muffler wrote: »
    What floor area and what type - eg bungalow, 2 storey??

floor space is 3300sq ft (including a 1000sq ft granny flat) story and half....

Currently building 2 storey with an unusual shape. Long drive way

cost to date floor level 52k,
    wall plate 93k
    underfloor heating 7k
    steel frame 3300
    granite cills €1600

It will take another 10k to finish wall plate.

Included in above is hollowcore first floor and concrete stairs. Insulation 150mm in floor and 60mm of kingspan in walls

Total spend to date 157k

These are accurate costs. I saved €5000 on the blocklaying last September. Project currently on hold. I will wait till September 2009 to recommence hoping that prices will have fallen further.

Lightning

• Advertisement
Advertisement