Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra points for disadvantaged schools?

Options
  • 08-03-2009 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Do certain students get extra points in their LC if they attend a disadvantaged school?How many extra points do they get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

I dont think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

none, it doesn't happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

there's a thread about it somewhere, do a search, i think the answer is yes but im not 100%, i think its fairly ridiculous though that someone should get more points for because they live in a bad area. Its up to the person to sit down and do the study. The teachers in the schools would be just as good as teachers in other schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

strongr wrote: »
    there's a thread about it somewhere, do a search, i think the answer is yes but im not 100%, i think its fairly ridiculous though that someone should get more points for because they live in a bad area. Its up to the person to sit down and do the study. The teachers in the schools would be just as good as teachers in other schools.

Pfft - sorry dude but you're completely incorrect here. Trying to put your head down and get work done in an unruly class is immeasurably more difficult that trying to do the same in a class of workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Here's the thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055421129&highlight=HEAR

They dont get extra points, they get reduced points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Before you all get your knickers in a twist, it's not taking away from anyone else who gets full points. I think it is totally fair, and I think the people that don't obviously don't go to one of the linked schools. Regardless of how much you may want to learn, it can be pretty impossible in a class full of Antos (no offence to any good Antos out there) who just want to mess around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

i heard that correcotrs judge you more harshly if you come from a more affluent area..our teacher told us to not say 'blackrock'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've been to Blackrock, Cork. It's not so posh

Besides you are a number, how can they know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

anladmór wrote: »
    i heard that correcotrs judge you more harshly if you come from a more affluent area..our teacher told us to not say 'blackrock'

I'd mark you down for not capitalising Blackrock............

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

stainluss wrote: »
    Do certain students get extra points in their LC if they attend a disadvantaged school?How many extra points do they get?

No they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Ye you have to apply through the Access Programme. It's too late to do it this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

That's total bull****.
    Yeah, especially as not everyone in Blackrock is even rich... And not every school in Blackrock is even posh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

damn I think I might have qualified for that HEAR thing, oh well

and I don't really think it's fair, I mean I know it's hard when your classes are full of messers but it still doesn't seem right or something

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

damn I think I might have qualified for that HEAR thing, oh well

and I don't really think it's fair, I mean I know it's hard when your classes are full of messers but it still doesn't seem right or something

i dont think it should go by certain schools... how do the govt. know which classes have more messers?? its not just disadvantaged schools which are hard to study in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

i dont think it should go by certain schools... how do the govt. know which classes have more messers?? its not just disadvantaged schools which are hard to study in.

I dont think it has anything to do with a government, I thought it was the universities ran it. (Could be wrong though).

http://www.tcd.ie/Trinity_Access/school_activities/HEAR.php

The government/universities have no idea how many messers are in each class. That is not solely what the programme is based on.
    The scheme targets those students who have the ability to benefit from and succeed in higher education but who, for a variety of social and economic reasons, are underrepresented at third level. Normally, applicants to the scheme will have been in attendance at a 'linked' school for the entire duration of their second-level education. Students should be highly motivated and interested in studying at undergraduate level in their chosen area.
    What kinds of socio-economic reasons are considered?
    • Long-term unemployment
    • Low family income
    • Little or not family tradition of progression onto Higher Education
    • Under-represented socio-economic groups in Higher Education
    I'm not sure how many linked schools there are for HEAR, but I know there's only about 20 for TAP. AFAIK, you have to be in a DEIS school to be eligible (DEIS stands for something like Delivering Equal Opportunities in Schools, or something to that effect).

People seem to begrudge these students their places, but the programme is just trying to encourage people who wouldn't normally have the opportunity to go to college, to go on to further education. Last year, about 2, and no more than 5, people went to University, with a max of 15 going onto to ANY form of further education. This year, there's about 10 people applying through HEAR and 4, I think, going for TAP. We don't exactly have huge numbers of people going on to third level, and this programme makes the whole thing more accessible.

As phasers said, they aren't stealing your place, they have designated places for HEAR students, and all other non traditional routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

anladmór wrote: »

I actually laughed at this. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

http://www.tcd.ie/Trinity_Access/school_activities/HEAR.php

The government/universities have no idea how many messers are in each class. That is not solely what the programme is based on.

[/list]I'm not sure how many linked schools there are for HEAR, but I know there's only about 20 for TAP. AFAIK, you have to be in a DEIS school to be eligible (DEIS stands for something like Delivering Equal Opportunities in Schools, or something to that effect).

People seem to begrudge these students their places, but the programme is just trying to encourage people who wouldn't normally have the opportunity to go to college, to go on to further education. Last year, about 2, and no more than 5, people went to University, with a max of 15 going onto to ANY form of further education. This year, there's about 10 people applying through HEAR and 4, I think, going for TAP. We don't exactly have huge numbers of people going on to third level, and this programme makes the whole thing more accessible.

As phasers said, they aren't stealing your place, they have designated places for HEAR students, and all other non traditional routes.

If you get any sort of social welfare you apply aswell or if you have a medical card.

If you get any sort of social welfare you apply aswell or if you have a medical card.

Oh really? Maybe it's just TAP you have to be ina DEIS school for. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

keane2097 wrote: »
    Pfft - sorry dude but you're completely incorrect here. Trying to put your head down and get work done in an unruly class is immeasurably more difficult that trying to do the same in a class of workers.
    True.

However, it would be unfair to presume that all classes in disadvantaged areas are unruly.
    I attend what is recognised as a good school and it's an absolute joke. Half of my teachers are useless and classes are crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 IluvMeddling

As someone pointed out earlier they reduce the points, they don't give extra points. You are also requried to submit a personal statement and it is means tested. So although it is through 'disadvantaged schools' found primarily in 'disadvantaged areas' they are only looking for students who will work for their future and really want to better themselves and are merely giving them a chance that otherwise they wouldn't get. And I know that these types of students are found in most schools but you'll find that there are less and less of them in such 'disadvantaged schools' e.g 8 people went to college from my school and 5 went through access.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

nope my school is one of the most disadvantaged on the north of dublin and we dont get extra points.

but if your income is low you get loadsa grants thrown at you and there are local area partnerships and acess schemes to all colleges in dublin bar the private ones.

Advertisement