Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myth Busting??

Options
  • 08-03-2009 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hello ladies:p

this idea has been disturbing mine peace of mind a little of late so I'm throwing it up here with hope of some lightshed. . .

please and thank you. . .

I'v heard of some cases where girls said they didnt realize they had become pregnant until advanced stages because they continued to have a periodical discharge months into having conceived.

interested to see if anyone has experience with this / is it possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Yes, it is possible, although relatively uncommon. Still, you'd kind of notice that sort of thing when your belly got bigger, provided you weren't incredibly obese..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I know someone this happened to. She continued to have her period and she only discovered her prgnancy when she was brought to the hospital for suspected appendicitis. As for the belly getting bigger...the girl went from a size 8 to a size 10 which she put down to her college lifestyle of boozing and bad food. When she found out she was pregnant her bump became much more pronounced. It was as if once her brain knew she was prgnant her body followed suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Chinafoot wrote: »
    It was as if once her brain knew she was prgnant her body followed suit.

Mind over matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I always doubted it until it happened to someone I knew. She was small, but fit, and her pregnancy stayed small and high up, meaning she put some weight on but didn't realise she was pregnant. She also continued to have spotty bleeding during her pregnancy.

She twigged when she had only eight weeks left to go. :o I think it was because she went to her doctor regarding the spotty flow of her periods and got the news then, but I'm not sure if that bit is an invented addendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

I always doubted these stories tbh - I can understand how you might still have a monthly discharge and not put on much of a belly but how can you account for the feeling of a moving baby inside you?

I imagine it's a kinda obvious feeling? I've never been pregnant - does anyone have an opinion about this? I've seen my sister's belly move when the babies have kicked her or are moving about - how can a woman not feel this when she's pregnant?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

That doesn't come until near the end though does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I was skeptical about this until it happened to an aquaintance of mine. She had gone to hospital with crippling stomach pains, only to be told it was labour :eek: I had seen her only a few weeks before, and there was only a tiny 'pot belly', which she had always sort of had (slim girl otherwise). When she went into labour she was about a month early, and the baby was very small. She was apparently getting periods throughout too. So in short, yes it can happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

That doesn't come until near the end though does it?

From what I'm told, I think in a first time pregnancy the mother can't really detect the movements until about twenty weeks. Its called the quickening.

I think its possible to put the movements and kicks down to indigestion and tummyache if the baby isn't a particularly active one. I think in subsequent pregnancies the mother can tell its the baby moving a few weeks earlier.

Those stories scare me though, I don't want to go to a doc with indigestion and come out with twins!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

That would be awful, to suddenly realize you're about to have a child. How would you deal with something like that totally unprepared? You'd not have been able to save money for the child, you'd not have mentally prepared yourself for it, etc.. That would be terrifying!

...Maybe abstinence really IS the way to go..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Ok i presume OP you mena that someone falls pregnant while still on the pill and falls pregnant and doesnt realise? as this is what scares me!

and yes i know of first time pregnancies where there has been zero morning sickness, very little weight gain and no movement from the belly up to 20 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

liah wrote: »
    That would be awful, to suddenly realize you're about to have a child. How would you deal with something like that totally unprepared? You'd not have been able to save money for the child, you'd not have mentally prepared yourself for it, etc.. That would be terrifying!

Well personally if I ended up in hospital in labour thinking it was appendicitis I'd get an epidural, put the baby up for adoption (or if I couldn't do that and would have to keep the baby until they found parents I'd abscond from the hospital) and tell no one but my boyfriend and then try to live as if nothing ever happened.

But then I am a great one for trying to gloss things over and ignore problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

Now I'm definitely scared!!! I'm on the pill, I feel like I've put on a bit of weight (I'm big anyway) and sometimes have a fluttery feeling in my tummy - I hope that's just indigestion!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

liah wrote: »

http://www.filehurricane.com/photo-viewer/1853

Or maybe not. Nothing is foolproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Salome wrote: »
    Now I'm definitely scared!!! I'm on the pill, I feel like I've put on a bit of weight (I'm big anyway) and sometimes have a fluttery feeling in my tummy - I hope that's just indigestion!!!

Me too, I put down the weight to the Leaving Cert and fluttering to LC nerves or digestion.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I always thought this was the sort of thing that you only heard about on Rikki Lake, but it happened to my cousin's GF when she was 17. The only pregnancy symptom she had was unbearable heartburn. She went to the doc and was put on strong antacids, then after 4 months it was still there and she went back to the doc.

He was going to prescribe her stronger antacids, but because they're so strong, there were some sort of precautionary procedures that had to be followed if they were being given to a woman of childbearing age who was sexually active. They had to be certain that she isn't pregnant before they give them because apparently they can harm the foetus, so she had to do a pregnancy test at the doc, and he turned around and told her she was pregnant. She was sent for an ultrasound where they reckoned she was about 6 months gone. They were pretty accurate cos her baby was born about 2 weeks before the predicted due date. She had regular periods throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

cousin of mine was on the pill, had been feeling off colour, but hadn't obviously been putting on lots of weight or anything, had a baby 8 hours after the contractions started (she'd gone into hospital thinking it was her appendix). pretty scary, we have photos of her at what would have been 6 months pregnant at her sister's wedding and genuinely, not a hint of it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

there is a thread over in the parenting forum post by a lady who didnt find out she was pregnant until she was 6 months gone - due next month i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭kalkor

well . . the odd preggers test might be employed so, to be sure.

scary business. . .

thanks for the replies. . .

be safe:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Heard this happens with the menopause years! I also heard that due to overweight problems some girls miss cycles for a couple of months I one case a girl in my estate swears she did not know she was preg and had a child.

You have to believe it possible as you cannot doubt really

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I cant imagine not knowing you are pregnant, after say, 6 months, you know that theres a baby inside you with the movement ect. But there is an excuse for not knowing, like your placenta was between the baby and your tummy, cusioning the kicks for you.

A girl I know, she went in with appendicitus when she was 16/17, turns out she was in labour. She maintained she didnt know, but i thought she might have been in denial/knew her parents would kill her etc.

Would be a very hard thing to deal with, if you did have a surprise pregnancy tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've heard it can happen with exceptionally large women. They may not notice an increase in weight (certainly not a 7lb increase if you're already 10st overweight), and other factors such as heartburn, indigestion and whatever else can be written off as normal, as their diet would cause them to experience these a lot anyway. I've heard a couple of stories of very large women going to the toilet with severe stomach cramps, only to start popping a baby out in the process.

My OH's cousin went through an "surprise" pregnancy when she was 17. She was very skinny apparently and although a weight increase was noticeable, there was never any announcement or test until she had only a couple of weeks to go. My OH reckons that the girl probably knew but was in complete denial and refused to go get tested, instead opting to tell her parents she had just put on a bit of weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

From what I'm told, I think in a first time pregnancy the mother can't really detect the movements until about twenty weeks. Its called the quickening.

And not everyone hash Sean Connery to tell them whatsh happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I have witnessed this first hand, and was in total shock for about a year!

My baby cousin, (She's 19) had this happen to her. My mam rang me and said 'guess what, **** just had a baby!!!' and I was like 'She's not pregnant!!!'.
    And I had even saw her at a christmas dinner when she would have been 8 months pregnant, and she didn't look a bit of it!!

She had periods all the way through. The doctors told her she was carrying the baby on her side, whatever that means. Still cant believe she has a baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Wow, scary stories here, can't believe so many people know of women this has happened to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

yeah very scary stories indeed..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

yeah it happened to my friends cousin... she increased her camogie training and everything out popped a sprog. God love her

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

LadyE wrote: »
    A girl I know, she went in with appendicitus when she was 16/17, turns out she was in labour. She maintained she didnt know, but i thought she might have been in denial/knew her parents would kill her etc

This happened to a cousin of a girl I work with. She got pregnant the one and only time she had sex at 16. She said years later that she was lying in bed one night and felt what she now knows was a kick, and she said for a second she thought 'Oh my god, I'm pregnant!' but then out of fear and panic, she totally convinced herself that she wasn't pregnant. Even when she was going in to hospital having contractions she was convinced her appendix had burst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I would love if this happened to me.

You get the baby without all the stress, worry, fear and panic of pregnancy.

Plus obviously you wouldn't have had all the crappy physical symptoms. Or gotten huge.

Also you wouldn't have had to make that jumping off a roof type decision of getting pregnant.

Yep, all things considered I'd want a hidden pregnancy.

But what if you didn't know you were pregnant and went out and drank like a fish and smoked like a chimney for the whole 9 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Peared wrote: »
    I would love if this happened to me.

You get the baby without all the stress, worry, fear and panic of pregnancy.

Plus obviously you wouldn't have had all the crappy physical symptoms. Or gotten huge.

Also you wouldn't have had to make that jumping off a roof type decision of getting pregnant.

Yep, all things considered I'd want a hidden pregnancy.

LOL :D You have a point!

There's a show on one of the discovery channels like this but it's usually people who were told they couldn't have kids or had a very small chance so they don't realize. Then they get to hospital and the staff are all "eh you're having a baby you idiot!?" Like they're so stupid for not realizing! :D The husband arrives home from work (or in one he was hiking) to find them in a bundle on the floor, takes them to hospital and 5 mins later they have a baby!

Advertisement