Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

external harddrive

• 08-03-2009 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

you would think connecting an external harddrive would be easy with the software. But OMG i can't do it, not having a good moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Adder1

smythire wrote: »
    you would think connecting an external harddrive would be easy with the software. But OMG i can't do it, not having a good moment.

what software? not sure what you mean. most external hard drives generaly show up in my computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭smythire

i have the software and its xp but the computer don't see jack ****

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What kind of external HDD? Portable (2.5"+)? Or desktop (3.5"+)? The former needs at least one (two if using a higher-RPM unit) powered USB port to draw power from. If used on an unpowered hub or faulty port they may not function correctly. Cheaper desktop drives (and especially "homemade" ones using cheapo caddies) do have a habit of exploding :o

In either case XP should not need drivers/software to "see" the drive in Explorer; something else is wrong. Does the drive light up (if it has an indicator) or play dead?

it lights up alright and i can see it inthe bottom of my screen. but when i look for it on my computer it can't see jack ****!! it is usb and its plugged in to the computer...it odd and pissing my off some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

is it new?

prolly need to format the drive via disk management or something.

• Advertisement

Ya, it is new. they said to make the drive master but i lost the pen so its slave now i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

wait what?

it's an external hdd in a chassis right? No need to make it master/slave.

plug in via usb/format/use.

or did i miss something?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Is this an internal drive or an internal drive in an enclosure??? In the first case it ain't external and may have issues if the first HDD is set to CS rather than Master and you set the new drive to Slave. In the second case IIRC some cheap enclosures can get ratty if you don't set the HDD in it to Master or CS (Control Select). Did you lose the jumper? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Adder1

smythire wrote: »
    Ya, it is new. they said to make the drive master but i lost the pen so its slave now i guess

assuming you have an ide drive and not a sata version I presume by "pen" you mean the jumper you plug into the back of the drive to select master or slave mode
    these are avaible from maplins the positions for the jumper is normaly marked on the drive. so all you should have to do is insert the jumper into the one marked master, m or similar (hopefuly). Incidently with the drive horizontal the jumper should be inserted vertical
    As solitaire has said there my be insufficent power if the caddy is powered by the usb ports and 2 ports may be needed. external drive caddies are normaly supplied with a power adapter as the power from the usb ports is limited

Advertisement