Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burning avi files to dvd using Windows XP

• 08-03-2009 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

I have an avi file that I want to burn to a dvd on Windows XP. Can someone tell me what program I need to do this? Or what's the best way of doing it. My head is wrecked from it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

try videohelp.com for guides, such as the one below
    I'd work a short avi file, as practice with it before doing a full movie

http://www.videohelp.com/guides/category/how-to-convert-to-dvd-mpeg2-4;10#1084

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

ConvertXtoDVD....http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

Been using it for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

garthv wrote: »
    ConvertXtoDVD....http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

Been using it for years.

Is it easy to use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

Right back to square one. Downloaded ConvertXto DVD and burnt the DVD. It all seemed to have gone fine but when I was watching the DVD last night it started skipping at around 55 minutes. I've checked the download and the download plays find on winamp on the computer so it's not that. I've played to disc on two different dvd players and it's the same on both.

Anyone have any advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Bodan

scoot on wrote: »
    Right back to square one. Downloaded ConvertXto DVD and burnt the DVD. It all seemed to have gone fine but when I was watching the DVD last night it started skipping at around 55 minutes. I've checked the download and the download plays find on winamp on the computer so it's not that. I've played to disc on two different dvd players and it's the same on both.

Anyone have any advice?

I have the same software and in my experiences, it only gets skippy when the source file (video file) is damaged in some way.

Break the original video file up into 3 parts, with the second part containing the damaged video, leaving the 1st and 3rd in good shape. Then just put all 3 files into convertxtodvd .

You will need to thick some options in the DVD menus in which the titles play one after another, to have a smooth playback.

Off course another option would be to get a better copy of the avi !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ill dump this as I do it a good bit and find the below solution easy enough. Use:-

1) WinAVI to convert your AVI file to DVD format,
    2) Use DVDShrink (requires Nero installed) to then burn the DVD vob files to a DVD.

I think CDBurnerXP Pro does DVDs but its not very clear on how you do it, so I avoid it. Nero itself will also burn DVDs.

Note: WinAVI is a very good program but you gotta pay otherwise they put a watermark on the movie.

Simple as :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Sully wrote: »
    Ill dump this as I do it a good bit and find the below solution easy enough. Use:-

1) WinAVI to convert your AVI file to DVD format,
    2) Use DVDShrink (requires Nero installed) to then burn the DVD vob files to a DVD.
    WinAVI does the burning as well, at least the one I have does. So no need to go into a separate program, does it all in one.

If you're having problems with burnt discs skipping or glitching, make sure to do the burning at a slower speed, can help sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

WinAVI is the program I use

I used to get skipping on disks I burned not now.
    make sure you or not running any other programs when doing the convert
    and burn.
    also do the convert on a internal drive not usb drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭ISOT

scoot on wrote: »
    I have an avi file that I want to burn to a dvd on Windows XP. Can someone tell me what program I need to do this? Or what's the best way of doing it. My head is wrecked from it!

Here is what I do:

I presume that you are trying to burn a divx file to dvd - if not you can convert the avi to divx format using divx converter (available from the same place as below).

I use the burn engine in divx player (free download)
    here is the latest version :
    http://www.divx.com/en/products/software/windows/divx

which I think should have the same functionality as the older version that I have (sorry not at home to check).
    The process could not be easier, just import the divx files to the libary then drag across the file to the burn engine and press burn.

Advertisement