Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Drainage... again!!

Options
  • 08-03-2009 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

I know this is a common issue and i have seen Delly's log which has guided my process so far. I've pretty much got it the soakhole and the drains dug out. The soakhole is about a metre deep and the drains are about 12 inches deep. While digging the soakhole i've come up against every colour of soil imaginable (orange, yellow but mostly grey) There seems to be very little brown soil. I presume i need to keep going down until i hit something that will allow soakage. What about the drains though? How deep should these be and how far up to the surface should i fill with gravel?

I've also just discovered that there is an actual drain beyond my back wall in the adjoining field. I'm thinking of an overflow outlet out of the soakhole into this (just in case) Is this a good idea??

How are things in your garden now Delly? Any recent photos to update on your thread...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

El Camino

A typical land drain installation would involve:

Trench 900mm/3'deep and set land drain (make sure slits are on the sides and not bottom)on 100mm/4" gravel, backfill with a further 300mm-400mm/12"-16"" pea gravel an dbalance with top soil.

Drains should be laid to follow general site geometry, ie follow the slope, and spaced 1m -3m /3'-10' apart (parallel)'. On excessive wet sites, additional drains can be installed (radial herringbone fashion), ie and connect to main pipes at 45 degrees.

Soak pit should be a minimum the equivalent of 1 cu m (approx 9 or 10 cu ft) 90% of which should be backfilled with rough stone/drainage material with final 300mm/12" filled with top soil.

Run-off should not be directed to Private property, where possible use alternatives.

Advertisement