Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Shopping Query

Options
  • 08-03-2009 11:21pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if you buy something online, the seller ships it, but you don't receive it, what is the story? Do they have to re-send your goods, or is it just tough luck as it got lost in the post?

The reason I ask is that I ordered some jewellery online in January, it was from a store in the US and the postage was supposed to take 7-14 days. I've ordered stuff from them before and it's always arrived in 7 days.

This time it was around 4 weeks and I'd heard nothing, so I sent them an email asking was there any way to track the package. They said that because I hadn't selected courier post there was no way of tracking it (fair enough), and they said that sometimes stuff going to Ireland can take up to a month, and it should arrive shortly. I placed the order on 13th Jan, and emailed them on 19th Feb. I think at this stage the order is not going to arrive. I don't doubt they posted it, I reckon it has been lost somewhere along the way.

I plan on emailing them again, but was just wondering am I entitled to ask them to ship it again, or for a refund or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Toots85 wrote: »
    Just wondering if you buy something online, the seller ships it, but you don't receive it, what is the story? Do they have to re-send your goods, or is it just tough luck as it got lost in the post?

The reason I ask is that I ordered some jewellery online in January, it was from a store in the US and the postage was supposed to take 7-14 days. I've ordered stuff from them before and it's always arrived in 7 days.

This time it was around 4 weeks and I'd heard nothing, so I sent them an email asking was there any way to track the package. They said that because I hadn't selected courier post there was no way of tracking it (fair enough), and they said that sometimes stuff going to Ireland can take up to a month, and it should arrive shortly. I placed the order on 13th Jan, and emailed them on 19th Feb. I think at this stage the order is not going to arrive. I don't doubt they posted it, I reckon it has been lost somewhere along the way.

I plan on emailing them again, but was just wondering am I entitled to ask them to ship it again, or for a refund or what?
    I presume you purchased this/these item(s) by credit card? If so then just charge back.

It doesnt really matter what the law is in relation to this as you cannot really take them on legally if they are in the US. I believe the law is fairly grey here because I presume they gave you an option of registered or insured post which you did not take thus they can claim it is not their responsibility - hence you just try charge back instead but try the reasonable approach first of letting them know you still haven't received the item to see what they say.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

axer wrote: »
    I presume you purchased this/these item(s) by credit card? If so then just charge back.
    Cheers! I hadn't thought of that! I bought them on paypal, but I checked today and their limit for chargebacks is 45 days, could I get my CC provider to do the chargeback or would it have to be Paypal?
    I believe the law is fairly grey here because I presume they gave you an option of registered or insured post which you did not take thus they can claim it is not their responsibility .

See this is the annoying thing, there was an option for insured/registered post if you were posting within the US, but for international orders there was only the one type of post.

Advertisement