Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to eat in longford town?

Options
  • 08-03-2009 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere nice to eat in the town? Not the black olive as I've been there a lot and want to try something new - somewhere that does good simple food as its for a group

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

The purple onion in Tarmonbarry outside longford, you wont be disappointed, reasonably priced... highly recommend the warm chicken and bacon salad for starter or main course, very filling not like a salad atall... and the fried potatoes are yum.. its a small place but will accomodate big groups... we go there regular

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

Luigi's of course. The best chips in Ireland! Failing that, Keenans of Tarmonbarry is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Ah Luigi's! Found memories of salad burgers after blazers! Those were the days.

Thanks for the suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭itsmine

Another recommendation for the Purple Onion here too.

If you want to stay in town, the indian restaurant above Eason's is excellent.

Luigis chips are gone down hill.
    Longford doesn't have a tourist attraction anymore. :(

I've eaten in Tarmonbarry once and all parties were hideously disappointed.
    I have heard alot of other people saying good things about it though.

The Aubergine is the best Irish food in town.
    Chinese Gourmet is very good too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Kiera20

Chinese Gourmet isn't that good anymore. I was there with a friend about a month ago and both of us actually left most of our meals behind us the food was so bad.

I get takeaway there very regularly.
    Best tofu I have ever had.
    I haven't noticed any decline in the standard of the food. ~shrug~

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Chans do decent food.

There is also that new place above stenson's chemist opposite valentines.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 karlvec

Another vote here for the Aubergine.
    Escobar used to be good for pub grub but has gone downhill lately (in fact the last time I was there they served me nearly raw chicken - only the outside was cooked!:mad:) that's why it was the last time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Douglas and Kaldi or Aubergine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

1+ for the Aubergine from me too. Great Steak Sandwich :) Yum Yum

• Registered Users Posts: 13 karlvec

I hope the Aubergine isn't going to go under, I was there a few weeks ago and I was expecting to sit down and have a nice drink while waiting on a table (they don't accept bookings). But the place was half empty on a Saturday!
    Is this the norm now or was it just the rugby keeping people in the pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Luigis chips are gone down hill.
    Longford doesn't have a tourist attraction anymore. :(

I've eaten in Tarmonbarry once and all parties were hideously disappointed.
    I have heard alot of other people saying good things about it though.

The Aubergine is the best Irish food in town.
    Chinese Gourmet is very good too.

Must check Aubergine out.
    There alsways seems to be a string of people waiting (We left it twice because of that).

Tarmon was nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Conorke

Keenans in Tarmonbarry is the Best around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

the best food i ever ate in Longford was the homemade ham sandwich that I ate in my car as I sat in traffic :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

iRock wrote: »
    Must check Aubergine out.
    There alsways seems to be a string of people waiting (We left it twice because of that).

Tarmon was nice :)

Well worth the wait mate, especially for the steak sambo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ger77

Caslins

Fortés

:eek:Superfast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

You can't beat the Aubergine and I say that as a Tarmon man! Steak sandwich all the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Ate in the restaurant in Viewmount House in April and it was very good. Pricey but nice. Pretty busy too on a Wednesday that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lindas

Jac O bites is lovely staff are extremely nice and the place is lovely trust me ul love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Is Escobar still busy . It used to be when I lived in Longford a couple of years ago . Lunch time was packed

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lindas

escabar isnt as busy as it used to be, went through a bad patch but they have a new menu now and still not as busy but does an ok trade

lindas wrote: »
    Jac O bites is lovely staff are extremely nice and the place is lovely trust me ul love it

I've been meaning to try this place, but havent got around to it.
    Is it a cafe?

Escobar is a disgrace. Service is brutal and food was awful the last I ate there.

I do go here for a drink and chat, because you can guarentee it will be quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Whats Kathmandu Kitchen like?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

If you're in town during the day it's worth popping into Carrs for a pub lunch. I've eaten there a few times now and haven't been disappointed yet. Reasonably priced, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mosesmoses

I vote for the Purple onion. OK it isn't glamorous, but I have never ever been disapointed with the food.

Keenans next door is a total rip off!!!! (even if the decor is nice).

In town, aubergine's is nice, even if it gets a bit samey after a while.

Daytime, I would opt for Torc cafe. yummy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Keenans used to be a regular stop off on the way home. Food was good but I think at one stage the prices just zoomed up and I stopped going there. Its a ncie place though and woud stop off again if I was feeling a bit flush with teh cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I have found the Black Olive nice food but service a bit slow though lately. I had Sunday lunch in the purple onion and wasn't overly impressed with the beef that day. I find PV's do a nice dinner during the day, nice beef and mash :)

Advertisement