Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your manager's best/worst ever signing?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

eagle eye wrote: »
    Worst signings: None.

No, you see I don't think you understand the concept of worst. If the manager of your club has signed 3 people, there has to be one that ended up being a worse signing than the other two. Worst doesn't necessarily mean bad, it's a relative scale, thus you can't say 'none'. There is always a worst and best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Best: Cantona

Could be soooo many others but he inspired us to our first premiership title and set up the reign we have been on since.

Worst: Tiabi/Veron

Again loads of choices but one was awful and the other just cost too much without ever being consistent (He did have good days!)

Forlan escapes for what he managed against the pool :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

eZe^ wrote: »
    No, you see I don't think you understand the concept of worst. If the manager of your club has signed 3 people, there has to be one that ended up being a worse signing than the other two. Worst doesn't necessarily mean bad, it's a relative scale, thus you can't say 'none'. There is always a worst and best.
    Well he signed them and a youth and a 19 year old who has immediately gone on loan so I cannot decide on either of them yet as I have not seen them in action.
    The two signings I mention have been exceptional and are both brilliant signings imo.
    I do understand what you say though. How can I pick a worst when they are both kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Well he signed them and a youth and a 19 year old who has immediately gone on loan so I cannot decide on either of them yet as I have not seen them in action.
    The two signings I mention have been exceptional and are both brilliant signings imo.
    I do understand what you say though. How can I pick a worst when they are both kids?

It's a tough job kid, but somebody has to do it. :pac:

m83 wrote: »
    best: cantona

worst: brian may

EDIT: David May!! roflcoptersssss111011!!!!
    I'm surprised at both your picks. Cantona was a great signing, I won't disagree with that but I'd have thought Roy Keane or Peter Schmeichel would have to be the top two.

As for the worst, David May was certainly a poor signing but what about Taibi and Ricardo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Bit harsh on David May. He was useful for a period in the mid 90's.

Best: Roy Keane

Worst: Taibi. Cost about 4.5 million and played only a few games conceding loads. Ironically enough I think he got man of the match on his debut at Anfield though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

worst: chris sutton-bought for i think 5million, not worth a fiver.
    best:...well theres just so many!..lampard..zola..vialli..flo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Best: Ashley Young
    Worst: Marlon Harewood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Best: Roy Keane/Nemanja Vidic/Patrice Evra/Dwight Yorke

Worst: Massimo Flap-ibi....a thru the legs howler against Southampton, as if his jersey had a hole in it! Shocker.....
    Unearthly wrote: »
    Worst: Taibi. Cost about 4.5 million and played only a few games conceding loads. Ironically enough I think he got man of the match on his debut at Anfield though.

Yeah bizarrely enough he played a blinder in a 3-2 win at the Pool, not enough to save him however...

• Advertisement

papagormo wrote: »
    10 mill actually.

Best: Ashley Young
    Worst: Marlon Harewood
    A bit rough on the Hare there, I'd have thought Routledge and Salifou would be ahead of him in the worst category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Best: Torres (although in a few years Insua, Nemeth, Pacheco, Weijl, Bruna have the potential to be world class, and could well be in contention for best signing then)

Worst: Intandje

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Best: Ole/Irwin

Wost: Jordi Cryuff / Fabian Barthez / Kleberson / Bellion (Fergie chased this guy for years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

rosboy wrote: »
    Best: Torres (although in a few years Insua, Nemeth, Pacheco, Weijl, Bruna have the potential to be world class, and could well be in contention for best signing then)

Worst: Intandje

If we are considering youth signings then Giggs and Scholes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Best: Henry / Vieira / Anelka(4000% profit :D) / Bergkamp / Clichy / Ljungberg

Worst: Jeffers / Silvestre

• Advertisement

Killme00 wrote: »

The few I named for Liverpool were purchased for the reserve team since Rafa's arrival as part of his revamp of the youth structure. Thats why I included them.

Not sure what the story was with Giggs and Scholes. Did SAF sign them at 16/17, or did they come through from u-10/12's age?

Killme00 wrote: »
    rosboy wrote: »
    The few I named for Liverpool were purchased for the reserve team since Rafa's arrival as part of his revamp of the youth structure. Thats why I included them.

Not sure what the story was with Giggs and Scholes. Did SAF sign them at 16/17, or did they come through from u-10/12's age?

Looks like Giggs counts to me (if Wiki is correct):
    Wiki wrote:
    While playing for Deans, Giggs would be watched regularly by local newsagent and Old Trafford steward Harold Wood. Wood regularly told the senior staff at Manchester United about Giggs, but they did not send anyone down to watch him until Wood spoke personally to Alex Ferguson. Wood told the United boss "He's with City at the moment, and if you lose him you'll regret it". So Ferguson sent a scout to a Deans match, who was impressed enough that United offered Giggs a trial over the Christmas period in 1986. Prior to the trial, Giggs played in a match for Salford Boys against a United Under-15s side at The Cliff and scored a hat trick, with Ferguson watching from his office window. The following November, on Giggs' 14th birthday, Ferguson turned up at Giggs's house with United scout Joe Brown and offered him two years on associate schoolboy forms. They also waived YTS forms, and persuaded Giggs with the opportunity to turn professional in three years. Giggs signed there and then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Giggs

Scholes was there since he was 14. Personally I wouldn't count him as a SAF signing because of that, but we won't fall out if you do:)
    Scholes was born in Salford and grew up as an Oldham Athletic supporter, but has trained with Manchester United since the age of 14.[1] He then later joined as a trainee upon leaving the Cardinal Langley Roman Catholic High School, Middleton, Greater Manchester in the summer of 1991. In his final term at school, he was selected to represent Great Britain National Schools in football.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Scholes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Frisbee wrote: »
    Best: Henry / Vieira / Anelka(4000% profit :D) / Bergkamp / Clichy / Ljungberg

Worst: Jeffers / Silvestre

Wenger didn't sign Bergkamp. I will however add Pires, Sagna and Van Persie to that list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

playa3 wrote: »
    Wenger didn't sign Bergkamp. I will however add Pires, Sagna and Van Persie to that list

Your dead right.

I had wanted to put Pires in but just decided against it.
    RVP I wouldn't put in, while he is an awesome player, this year is the first season we've been able to get a good return out of him considering he's usually injured.

And I put Sagna in ahead of Clichy because we only paid 250k for Clichy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Best for me Cooper Gazza McCoist Butcher

Worst theres a lot to choose from but Flo because of the monet spent and the return he gave us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Best: Probably Vidic. A steal at £7m.

Worst: Djemba twins, Taibi, Kleberson and Seba Veron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Best: Fernando Torres

Worst: Mark Gonzalez- the "Cisse" of Rafa's tenure. Pursued for years with huge hype around him who ended up being lightweight and a bottler (he voluntarily admitted he wasn't up to the PL standard).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

10 mill actually.

i stand corrected...still a terrible buy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Best: Artur Boruc and/or Nakamura

Worst: Adam Virgo and/or Thomas Gravesen

ziggy wrote: »

I am aware of that just felt those players are 4 of the best ever to sign for us you could say he was involved in the Butcher signing as well as Assistant Manager I am sure he had plenty of input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

papagormo wrote: »

i dont think hiddink signed any of those ;)

sparkys best: SWP, but theres been a few, kompany, zab, given, de jong, nearly all his signings.
    worst: ben haim

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Best: Lampard
    Worst: Bogarde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Best: Torres

Worst: Antonio Nunez,Dossena,Krompkamp,Voronin,Degen,Itandge,Lucas

some of them worst signings may prove me wrong but Antonio Nunez was shocking.

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »
    You won't get any arguments from me on that watched Rangers for many a year and he has to be my biggest disapointment:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

playa3 wrote: »
    Wenger didn't sign Bergkamp.

Often wondered about that, was he really a Rioch signing or was he a David Dein signing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Often wondered about that, was he really a Rioch signing or was he a David Dein signing?

I doubt Rioch was the man behind the Bergkamp transfer. This is after all the man who insisted on playing Ian Wright on the left wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Worst: Massimo Flap-ibi....a thru the legs howler against Southampton, as if his jersey had a hole in it! Shocker.....

Yeah bizarrely enough he played a blinder in a 3-2 win at the Pool, not enough to save him however...

He's a great keeper though

Bubs101 wrote: »
    He's a great keeper though
    He was horrendous at United though.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I doubt Rioch was the man behind the Bergkamp transfer. This is after all the man who insisted on playing Ian Wright on the left wing.

Don't think Wrighty was too happy about that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Didn't Rioch sign Bergkamp and fat Platt at the same time??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Pat Dolan .....Robbie Hedderman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

cantona - nobody else could ever come close

Worst. david healy, one appearance? veron for the sheer waste of money spent on him. Nani, Jordi Cruyff (actually every pretender to gigg's crown really ;))

Suprised by the liverpool fans in here tbh,no Kewell on your lists?:P

• Advertisement

Didn't Rioch sign Bergkamp and fat Platt at the same time??

Yes, but I wonder were they really his signings or did David Dein actually identify the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Yes, but I wonder were they really his signings or did David Dein actually identify the two.

I don't know. I don't recall if Rioch was all that bad.....94 to 96 are a bit hazy for me.....it was all bungs coke and Dutch mafiosa.....and John Jensens 'tasche.

I don't know. I don't recall if Rioch was all that bad.....94 to 96 are a bit hazy for me.....it was all bungs coke and Dutch mafiosa.....and John Jensens 'tasche.

He seemed to do an ok job on the face of things but what I heard recently was that he was way out of his depth,he could never understand why the players turned up for training in seperate cars and of course that big bust up with Wrighty that led to him going.

Advertisement