Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Story like!!!!!!!

Options
  • 09-03-2009 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Story, like. Someone said this to me today and i just nodded back as if i totally understood .(i think he meant to say "hi, any news", which is strange enough as i did not even know him in the first place). Later as the evening continued he said other various totally unusual words and phrases (i was playing a poker tournament, hence the reason i was spending so much time with the guy)like, no bothers boy(I'm in my early 30s surely not a boy!), and christ look a dem walking sticks( a very good looking girl with a short skirt had passed us ) My question here is there a new language developing in cork?
    sound loik busted!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

"Developing"? My good man, language has been like this in Cork for some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I think it is a north side thing? Absolutely atrocious though!

Vinta81 wrote: »

Blasphemy! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I speak the truth! I cannot stand people who cannot speak properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

Yawwwww loik.... tooeeeetally

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

I can't believe this comes across as a genuine question? You clearly have avoided all Irish radio and tv for the last 15 years? Where do you think the cork stereotype comes from? That stereotype is to cork people what the leprachaun is the the irish. A bane to our existence. At least we can the little fella isnt real.

Every Irish comedian takes the piss out of it. Tommy Tiernan has a whole set dedicated to it for feck sake "I found jesus boi".

Seriously like?

I speak the truth! I cannot stand people who cannot speak properly!

You wouldn't want to venture up to Mallow or any part of North Cork then...it'd do your head in!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Ye there is so many words in Cork that I fail to find at all funny or creative.
    Someone seriously needs to bring out a dictionary.

I moved to this country when I was 3 and once I ask someone what something means once I remember it, however I really feel sorry for the tourists!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Cable wrote: »
    At least we can the little fella isnt real.

Please take that back!! The leprechaun is as real as the tooth fairy or Santa Claus. Go into any Irish gift shop and you will see hundreds of them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

At least it's not the Dublin, "Stardy, Bud!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

wow way to not give into more stereotypying? sure fekkit, everyone in Limerick carries a knife, no one from the south side of the city talks like that. Cause ya know, mahon and the glen are so different. everyone is kerry is still looking for that underwater hair dryer, all irish girls are chubby, wear green, have lots of freckles and wear their ginger hair in pony tails while the lads horse around sacks of potatoes while supping on an auld pint of the black stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I still don't know what 'whats the story' means neither do i answer it.is it a question?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Really??...
    It's like - how are you, any news?

More common in dublin than cork though

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭radharc05

Here's one for ya folks

From Cork.. ahum ahum

'Feine Boire feek da gee, giggy in the jammer after a few duffler'

I shall now translate

'Guy and a girl having sex in a car after a few drinks'

That is Northside talk...
    Hilarious really. But yes there is totally different sorts of 'so called speak and stereotypical thinamy jigs all over the country not just cork

As mentioned earlier knives in Limerick
    Driving backwards in Kerry and so on....

Stoire bud, sortid, hear me, c'mere ta me, hay stella, form boi.....:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

You think that's bad?

I was working with a few guys from coolock when I was in dublin.
    really sound guys but they had a language similar to cockney rhyming slang.

"Here bud, yeah you in da tin a fruit, look at the bleedin state of your ones n two's"

Translated to "Hello Sir, yes you in the suit, I really dont care for your shoes"

Classic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭radharc05

mik_da_man wrote: »
    You think that's bad?

I was working with a few guys from coolock when I was in dublin.
    really sound guys but they had a language similar to cockney rhyming slang.

"Here bud, yeah you in da tin a fruit, look at the bleedin state of your ones n two's"

Translated to "Hello Sir, yes you in the suit, I really dont care for your shoes"

Classic :)

NOW THAT IS FUNNY ..LOL:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Go ann, I'll talk to you layder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ahh no bai, the shades are wreckin me buzz, i feeked that yang bjore from togher, shes under de age loike.

Translation;
    Oh no, the Gardai are after me, i had sexual relations with a young lady from Togher, she is underage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

wreckin me buzz would be pure dublin..
    The local equivalent would be wreckin my head kid they're a pack of mogs:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

I totally LOVE the "story" stuff...anyway...it's nothing so strange or new...I even knew it before coming to Ireland, c'mon!
    And, (young) Cork people, do me a favour...stop complainig about your accent and stuff and start make pride of it, ffs ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

radharc05 wrote: »
    Here's one for ya folks

From Cork.. ahum ahum

'Feine Boire feek da gee, giggy in the jammer after a few duffler'

I shall now translate

'Guy and a girl having sex in a car after a few drinks'

That is Northside talk...
    Hilarious really. But yes there is totally different sorts of 'so called speak and stereotypical thinamy jigs all over the country not just cork

As mentioned earlier knives in Limerick
    Driving backwards in Kerry and so on....

Stoire bud, sortid, hear me, c'mere ta me, hay stella, form boi.....:D

Nobody in Cork talks quite like that, they may replace some contemporary words but they don't change a whole sentence. Also the Northside is a big place, big difference between Glanmire and Knocknaheeny.. Plus you've got these scumbags all over Cork City not just the Northside.

And, (young) Cork people, do me a favour...stop complainig about your accent and stuff and start make pride of it, ffs ^_^

My thoughts exactly....people can take themselves too seriously sometimes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

craichoe wrote: »
    ahh no bai, the shades are wreckin me buzz, i feeked that yang bjore from togher, shes under de age loike.

Translation;
    Oh no, the Gardai are after me, i had sexual relations with a young lady from Togher, she is underage.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

How does a Corkman say "No"?

"I will yaaah!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

CommieBaz wrote: »
    How does a Corkman say "No"?

"I will yaaah!"

LMAO :D I learned this on my skin, sorta :pac: (luv ya Paddy :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rumtumtiddles

A Cork radio station was running a competition - words that weren't in the dictionary yet could still be used in a sentence that would make logical sense. The prize was a trip to Bali.
    DJ: 96FM here, what's your name?
    Caller: Hi, me name's Dave
    DJ: Dave, what's your word?
    Caller: Goan.....spelt G-O-A-N, pronounced go-an
    DJ: ....You are correct Dave, 'goan' is not in the dictionary. Now, for a trip to Bali: What sentence can you use that word in that would make sense?
    Caller: Goan f**k yourself!
    The DJ cut the caller short and took other calls, all unsuccessful until:
    DJ: 96FM, what's your name?
    Caller: Hi, me name's Jeff
    DJ: Caller what's your word?
    Caller: Smee....spelt S-M-E-E, pronounced 'smee'
    DJ: .....You are correct, Jeff, 'smee' is not in the dictionary. Now, for a trip to Bali: What sentence can you use that word in that would make sense?
    Caller: Smee again!!! Goan f**k yourself!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 D4FORLOiiFE

Ah Jaysus Laad, Nearly Everyone In Cork Talks Like This Like
    ''Story Bah?'' <--- How Can Ya Not Know What That Means Like..
    I'd Say You've Been Livin Under A Rock All Your Life Kid!!
    ...Go Out Da Knocka Or Da Glen, +& Youu Wont Be Long Gettin Used Ta Our Ways =P
    Haahaa!
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:D:cool:

Advertisement