Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a blog page to an existing large static web site

Options
  • 09-03-2009 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

If you are asked to add a blog to an existing quite large static website, what is the best way to go about it?

Wordpress seems to be the blog of choice but most articles on the net show how to add static pages to a Wordpress site but not the other way around.

Ideally, the functionality of the blog would be added to the existing design but without having to modify blog templates in Wordpress. The Admin side of the blog is fine with the standard Wordpress template because the public would not see that.

Any tips or articles on this topic?

McGintyMcGoo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hkcharlie

If you are asked to add a blog to an existing quite large static website, what is the best way to go about it?

Wordpress seems to be the blog of choice but most articles on the net show how to add static pages to a Wordpress site but not the other way around.

Ideally, the functionality of the blog would be added to the existing design but without having to modify blog templates in Wordpress. The Admin side of the blog is fine with the standard Wordpress template because the public would not see that.

Any tips or articles on this topic?

McGintyMcGoo

This is a great question and I'd really like to know if anyone has an answer for it too.
    (If I found out in the mean time, I let you know.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Could you install wordpress into its own folder within the website folder structure? So if you had http://www.yoursite.com/ the blog would be http://www.yoursite.com/blog/. Then update the static webpages to include links to the blog. The site and the blog would be two different entities but would look like the same thing to visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I've done this but to be honest I'm 99% sure you're going to have to make your own theme for wordpress. My blog and website(Link in my sig) are identical when you look at them yet my website and domain are pulling lots of different files and don't even use the same CSS page.

It's grand to do IF you're good with xhtml, css and a bit of php. If you made your own website it shouldn't be too hard, depending on how basic it is.

You can install wordpress in you own folder so have it dedicated in www.youwebsite.com/blog/

Best of luck with it!
    Kyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

Yeah I figured that I could add the blog to a subfolder of the website and amend the site links. However I was also hoping to keep the existing website navigation in place on the blog pages and just copy'n'paste the relevant PHP code onto the blog pages that displays the blog content and various bits of functionality.

I'll take a look at the code used to generate the blog pages and if it is quite complex (which I suspect it is), I might just read up on creating/editing templates. It's a pity because having to learn about templates seems like an unnecessary overhead.

In the meantime, if anyone comes across any articles, please post them here.

McGintyMcGoo

Advertisement