Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearm Certificate Question

Options
  • 09-03-2009 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi All
    I have just moved to Galway area from England, as I understand it the three Air Rifles that I own and were legal in UK without fac as 12ft lb/16j or under are not legal over here in Sunny Ireland for this reason I left them behind for collection later. I have now installed a Gun Locker and about to apply for Irish FAC, but after reading a lot of posts on this site I am beginning to wonder if it will be worth the bother as it will probably take months to be Granted/Refused if I get a reply at all and I will have to get permission to use it from several local farms or join a rifle club. I live in a rented house in a rural area my garden is 130ft long and I only have fields behind me witch my landlord owns so please could someone advise me of the following

1) How long does it normally take from application to answer for Irish fac & is the fac officer for Galway area reasonable?
    2) Will I need to Join Club before I apply and are there any around Monivea area or get local Shooting permission My Landlord might do this for me if not how do I go about obtaining permission?
    3) Is there a Gunsmith in Galway area that could return My PCP rifle back to pre UK power & I can buy ammo ECT from?
    4) Any place near me I can join for Clay Shooting?
    5) Do all Air Rifles kept in Ireland need Licence if so do they need to be identifiable i.e. Serial No stamped & is it illegal to shoot small vermin rats and such like with Air Rifle
    6) Does anyone else use Air Rifles over here or will I just get laughed at by most clubs and shooters.

Any help would be appreciated as I don’t want to get on wrong side of the Law and can’t seem to find anyone over here that does not come across as anti Guns.

I’m the new boy over here but no novice so please no sarcastic replies.

My Rifles
    Axsor Gemini .22 PCP fitted with silencer BSA 4x12x40 with parallax adjust & 12ltr Dive bottle for re charge serial marked by manufacturers, Cost me best part of £1000 so this is the one I would like to keep if I can.

Gamo Shadow 1000 .22 SMK 3X9X40 serial marked by manufacturers

Bam .22 with 4x40 no identification but only cost £100 so will not mind leaving

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'll leave the other questions for the Galway locals but I had to answer these :D
    DK-Daza wrote: »
    5) Do all Air Rifles kept in Ireland need Licence if so do they need to be identifiable i.e. Serial No stamped & is it illegal to shoot small vermin rats and such like with Air Rifle
    Yes, yes and no.
    6) Does anyone else use Air Rifles over here or will I just get laughed at by most clubs and shooters.
    Yes, and yes. But that's only because they feel threatened and jealous of our vastly superior shooting skills :D:D:D
    Seriously, clubs like UCDRC, DURC and WTSC have long histories of producing excellent air rifle shooters who've brought home international medals in the sport. There's a fairly active competitive scene around those three clubs over here, with RRPC joining in the fray in a month or so. It's all ISSF air rifle shooting though; but your airguns are far, far more commonplace in Ireland (damn near every dealers seems to have a few stashed away in the back of the lockup).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

..and correct me if im wrong, but i think the moderator will have to be applied for separately!

If it's an add-on, then yes, but generally the Gardai just issue letters authorising their use instead of going through the whole application process.

If it's integral, it's a bit more gray - it's part of the firearm instead of a seperate component so it should be included in the licence, but this hasn't ever been tested in court so far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cookey-1

hi m8 i live in donegal and have just bought a airarms 410 wat i had to do is get the gun smith to import it in to ireland then apply for a licence costs €39 so if u go to your local gunsmith he will put you right it,s noth a lot of bother you know but if i was you i wouldent bother with all 3 of them keep the best 1 take it over hear and sell the others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

DK-Daza wrote: »
    Hi All
    I have just moved to Galway area from England, as I understand it the three Air Rifles that I own and were legal in UK without fac as 12ft lb/16j or under are not legal over here in Sunny Ireland for this reason I left them behind for collection later. I have now installed a Gun Locker and about to apply for Irish FAC, but after reading a lot of posts on this site I am beginning to wonder if it will be worth the bother as it will probably take months to be Granted/Refused if I get a reply at all and I will have to get permission to use it from several local farms or join a rifle club. I live in a rented house in a rural area my garden is 130ft long and I only have fields behind me witch my landlord owns so please could someone advise me of the following

1) How long does it normally take from application to answer for Irish fac & is the fac officer for Galway area reasonable?
    2) Will I need to Join Club before I apply and are there any around Monivea area or get local Shooting permission My Landlord might do this for me if not how do I go about obtaining permission?
    3) Is there a Gunsmith in Galway area that could return My PCP rifle back to pre UK power & I can buy ammo ECT from?
    4) Any place near me I can join for Clay Shooting?

Any help would be appreciated as I don’t want to get on wrong side of the Law and can’t seem to find anyone over here that does not come across as anti Guns.

I’m the new boy over here but no novice so please no sarcastic replies.

My Rifles
    Axsor Gemini .22 PCP fitted with silencer BSA 4x12x40 with parallax adjust & 12ltr Dive bottle for re charge serial marked by manufacturers, Cost me best part of £1000 so this is the one I would like to keep if I can.

Gamo Shadow 1000 .22 SMK 3X9X40 serial marked by manufacturers

Bam .22 with 4x40 no identification but only cost £100 so will not mind leaving

Air rifle for hunting uncommon as same licence app for .22LR
    €38 per Rifle licence. 3 farmers signatures or member of Club.

Galway I don't know dealers names.
    If you get a european firearms pass things might be easier.
    As this way you can travel North south or over and back to Europe.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

you could always get a .22lr rifle. Same process as going for an air rifle or get a stronger airgun:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Im shocked no one has said " Get a REAL gun " Times are changing.

But as stated mate. Find a local Firearms dealer and get him to import it for you. Then apply.

keep the best one and sell the rest!

Blazher wrote: »
    Im shocked no one has said " Get a REAL gun " Times are changing.
    Yup. post_thanks.gif

Advertisement